PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2010, 05:19 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC® Touch Pro™ 2 /// HTC® Evo™ 4G
Carrier: Sprint®

austintb knows their stuffaustintb knows their stuffaustintb knows their stuffaustintb knows their stuffaustintb knows their stuffaustintb knows their stuffaustintb knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Cool Re: Contacts and calendar from WinMo to Evo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
I hit thanks... I'll have to try this tomorrow...
Okay, THANKS!

But the thing is, is that you must have Microsoft Office Outlook installed on your computer in order to do it that way.

If you do not have Outlook installed, I will help you get a legal complementary copy of Microsoft Office 2010 Home & Student.

I work in the IT field, and we're MSDN Subscribers, so we basically have everything from Microsoft.
"Observation of Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen Entanglement on Supraquantum Structures By Induction through Nonlinear Transuranic Crystal of Extremely Long Wavelength (ELW) Pulse from Mode-Locked Source Array." - from Half Life 1
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:56 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

BlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Contacts and calendar from WinMo to Evo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by austintb View Post
Okay, THANKS!

But the thing is, is that you must have Microsoft Office Outlook installed on your computer in order to do it that way.

If you do not have Outlook installed, I will help you get a legal complementary copy of Microsoft Office 2010 Home & Student.

I work in the IT field, and we're MSDN Subscribers, so we basically have everything from Microsoft.
Thanks again... you da man
Old 06-02-2010, 07:05 PM
Regular 'Geeker

austintb knows their stuffaustintb knows their stuffaustintb knows their stuffaustintb knows their stuffaustintb knows their stuffaustintb knows their stuffaustintb knows their stuff

Quote:
Thanks again... you da man
My pleasure. Anytime.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:05 PM
Regular 'Geeker

reprod is becoming a PPCGeeks regularreprod is becoming a PPCGeeks regularreprod is becoming a PPCGeeks regularreprod is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I think for the majority of WM owners who are used to simple and easy syncing with 100's of contacts, notes, and calendar appointments that this will come as a big turn off. It is not enough to turn me away. I have already sold my Diamond and Touch Pro 2 to get my Evo but I need to sync with my categories and it seems like I will need to purchase software to do it.

This is all probably because Google hates Microsoft with all of it's entirety so it is not building in native support for simple wired application syncing.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:09 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

BlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprod View Post
I think for the majority of WM owners who are used to simple and easy syncing with 100's of contacts, notes, and calendar appointments that this will come as a big turn off. It is not enough to turn me away. I have already sold my Diamond and Touch Pro 2 to get my Evo but I need to sync with my categories and it seems like I will need to purchase software to do it.

This is all probably because Google hates Microsoft with all of it's entirety so it is not building in native support for simple wired application syncing.
You'd think Google would want to make the sync at least 1 way though (from WinMo to gmail) so all the WinMo users can switch to Android.

What software are you contemplating buying that will sync your catagories? I am not even seeing a paid option available at this point.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:10 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprod View Post

I totally see where your coming from. But there is no software that you must purchase at all to copy all of your contacts (etc. data in all of its entirety). It just takes a hint of brain power.

PS: Google does not hate Microsoft one bit, Microsoft and Google are like the U.S.M.C. and the S.A.S, and APPLE is the Taliban! It just doesn't work with Apple.

Heres my way of thinking:

Android: There's a hack for that.
Windows: There's a crack for that.
Apple: There's a KOOL-AID drinker for that.

Last edited by austintb; 06-02-2010 at 07:11 PM. Reason: On > One
Old 06-02-2010, 07:23 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
So as most of us are coming from WinMo, I'm sure this will be an issue for a lot of us.

How do you best get the contacts, calendar, tasks, etc, from WinMo to the Evo?

I used Google Sync on my current phone (Touch Pro 2) and it imported my contacts to gmail, but it didn't do the calendar or tasks. And the contacts are all missing the catagories on gmail.

I absolutely need my contacts to have the catagories, so I need to figure that out. And I obviously need the calendar too, and would really like to get the tasks.

I don't use Outlook on my computer, so I would prefer an option that doesn't involve it. Heck, I would prefer an option that doesn't even involve the computer, just straight from the phone to gmail.

Any android vets out there have any advice on how to do this?
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/move-co...obile-android/

It's the easiest way I think of doing what you want it to do!
Enjoy.

Please hit THANKS! THANKS!
Old 06-02-2010, 07:36 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO

supdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by honduranthunder View Post
sooo...I tried using activesync to google. Followed instructions specifically what google moblie sync told me and this is what happened. I tried several things, but no luck.
Got same error.

But I need my calender..
Old 06-02-2010, 07:42 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by supdawg View Post
Got same error.

But I need my calender..
Thats because the newer versions of ActiveSync will not connect to Google's servers. I can't explain why, but it just doesn't work. Try what I posted earlier. It will work.
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/move-co...obile-android/
Old 06-02-2010, 07:51 PM
Regular 'Geeker

reprod is becoming a PPCGeeks regularreprod is becoming a PPCGeeks regularreprod is becoming a PPCGeeks regularreprod is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
You'd think Google would want to make the sync at least 1 way though (from WinMo to gmail) so all the WinMo users can switch to Android.

What software are you contemplating buying that will sync your catagories? I am not even seeing a paid option available at this point.
http://www.markspace.com/products/an...picker_android

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G