PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2007, 04:32 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Palm Pre
Carrier: Sprint

Shaska is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Irony has B**chSlapped me! (PPC6700 USB Broken!)

So after all the work I was doing on a custom rom last night I pretty much had a perfect one made up for myself, and all throughout the day at work I enjoyed the goodness of it, and even got a few fellow employees interested in having me make a custom rom for them (actually they just want me to turn my rom into a verizon version, Shouldnt be hard, But back to the topic) Anyways, I get home from work today and dock my 6700 (which never slid into the dock easily, always seemed to fight). I feel that something didnt fit right and I notice that although its charging, No USB connection for activesync...

Has anyone else had the data side of their USB go out like this before? (Note: Ive used 4 different USB cables now on different ports and computers, So its the PPC for sure)

Im glad I have TEP and Im headed into the sprint store first thing to see about a fix or a refurb, But Daaaayuuuummm... Its gonna be kinda lame if I have to swap my pretty well taken care of 6700 out for one that could be beat to hell... (I saw how bad refurbs can be thanks to the one Verizon gave to my GirlFriend... :S)

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I did guest sync my phone at work and had to use a kinda old USB cable, I hope that cable wasn't what jacked my phone over... All because my co-workers wanted Worms World Party for their xv6700's... Now GeekSquad employees get to enjoy a fun game on their company phones, and I have a broken personal one. >.< (well, Actually, If it was the cable, their phones may be jacked up too, But thats not a big issue for them... BestBuy has about 500+ 6700's just waiting to be used as replacements for their DA's...)
Old 07-22-2007, 05:10 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: XV6800 Titan (on Sprint) / PPC6700 (Sprint) Apache / Sprint Touch

tiermann is still contributing even after becoming a VIPtiermann is still contributing even after becoming a VIPtiermann is still contributing even after becoming a VIPtiermann is still contributing even after becoming a VIPtiermann is still contributing even after becoming a VIPtiermann is still contributing even after becoming a VIPtiermann is still contributing even after becoming a VIPtiermann is still contributing even after becoming a VIPtiermann is still contributing even after becoming a VIPtiermann is still contributing even after becoming a VIPtiermann is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to tiermann Send a message via Yahoo to tiermann
Have you tried soft reseting the phone, or rebooting the computer? ActiveSync (both on the PPC side and windows side) can get stuck sometimes.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:27 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

LadySaat is a n00b
Send a message via Yahoo to LadySaat Send a message via Skype™ to LadySaat
I just thought of something.. you can't bring that into the sprint store under TEP.. it's fully customized right??? Don't we have to bring it in w/stock ROM and such?
Old 07-22-2007, 05:30 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiermann
Have you tried soft reseting the phone, or rebooting the computer? ActiveSync (both on the PPC side and windows side) can get stuck sometimes.
Oh yeah, Its genuine PPC based for sure... I even did a few hard resets and such just to be 100% sure, (actually I went as far as hijacking a friends notebook just to put activesync on there to triple check)

This is a total bummer... My 6700 was in great shape only had one scratch on the corner from a drop onto a wearhouse floor a while back, which buffed out nicely... I have a very bad feeling that Im going to get a refurb thats been horribly abused... (Only one sprint store in town and I hear that they usually replace with refurbs over fixing issues)

EDIT: Oh s*** thats a good point LadySaat... I may have some issues with that, But thankfully it doesent look totally custom at a first glance... Just looks like I have a ton of stuff installed... I guess I can only hope they dont notice, Or care :S
Old 07-22-2007, 05:53 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Hero

omegax is keeping up the good workomegax is keeping up the good work
The majority of sprint techs down know HOW to create roms and they use your usb to do test on them. So they cant do a test so minus the boot screen they can prove nothing. Just say you reset the "wallpaper". That line worked for me.

You could always make your rom fail by deleting system files. It will not function at all therefore they must replace it.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:53 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Hero

omegax is keeping up the good workomegax is keeping up the good work
The majority of sprint techs down know HOW to create roms and they use your usb to do test on them. So they cant do a test so minus the boot screen they can prove nothing. Just say you reset the "wallpaper". That line worked for me.

You could always make your rom fail by deleting system files. It will not function at all therefore they must replace it.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:16 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegax

Well, actually that wont work, Ive tried that for fun before... The system will continue to run, But all you can pretty much do is stare at the today screen or make calls... Everything else gets nuked... Also, a tech can easily put the phone in bootloader mode when people come in with messed up ROMS so that is an easy fix for them... But no usb connection, That outta be a challenge... I hope they have some spare parts laying around...

EDIT: Araaaaagggghhh, The local store is closed on sundays! well, That suxorz!
Old 07-22-2007, 11:31 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon

Kolano is becoming a great contributor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaska
Quote:

Well, actually that wont work, Ive tried that for fun before... The system will continue to run, But all you can pretty much do is stare at the today screen or make calls... Everything else gets nuked... Also, a tech can easily put the phone in bootloader mode when people come in with messed up ROMS so that is an easy fix for them... But no usb connection, That outta be a challenge... I hope they have some spare parts laying around...

I think I've seen this issue before. It occured when I messed things up in my custom ROM related to Activesync on the phone. Basically, Activesync wouldn't start on the phone, so no USB connection would be made.

You should be able to test if this is the problem in your case by trying to launch Activesync on the phone. If it comes up normally then there may be something else wrong, but if it doesn't start then this is definitely your problem.

To work around this I had to:
-Revise my ROM to fix the issues with Activesync (caused by mucking with stuff in the SYS folder)
-Put the phone in bootloader mode (power+note+sylus reset)
-Reflash with the corrected ROM
Old 07-22-2007, 11:46 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolano
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaska
Quote:

I think I've seen this issue before. It occured when I messed things up in my custom ROM related to Activesync on the phone. Basically, Activesync wouldn't start on the phone, so no USB connection would be made.

You should be able to test if this is the problem in your case by trying to launch Activesync on the phone. If it comes up normally then there may be something else wrong, but if it doesn't start then this is definitely your problem.

To work around this I had to:
-Revise my ROM to fix the issues with Activesync (caused by mucking with stuff in the SYS folder)
-Put the phone in bootloader mode (power+note+sylus reset)
-Reflash with the corrected ROM
Even in bootloader 2.02 it wont recognize a usb connection, So its not related to a bad flash (the last bug in my custom rom was related to ring tones, active sync was working fine)
Old 07-22-2007, 12:16 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Apache (PPC6700); Titan (Mogul)

luv2chill is keeping up the good workluv2chill is keeping up the good work
Send a message via ICQ to luv2chill Send a message via AIM to luv2chill Send a message via MSN to luv2chill Send a message via Yahoo to luv2chill Send a message via Skype™ to luv2chill
Did you wiggle the connector at all? Mine is on the way out, but I can still get it to connect by inserting the miniusb connector and then putting pressure on the back side of it (if the 6700 screen is facing you push it towards you). Give that a shot and see if it helps you.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache