PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2007, 07:17 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Apache (PPC6700); Titan (Mogul)
Carrier: Sprint

luv2chill is keeping up the good workluv2chill is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via ICQ to luv2chill Send a message via AIM to luv2chill Send a message via MSN to luv2chill Send a message via Yahoo to luv2chill Send a message via Skype™ to luv2chill
saridnour, I believe MS would have a problem with someone hosting a slipstreamed copy of XP or Office too. They provide the tools to do that, but I don't think they intend or desire for slipstreamed versions to be distributed by anyone except them and their OEMs.

And in a way, I see their point... especially when the MS lawyer said that carriers have been complaining about idiot end users wanting them to support "custom roms" and with news outlets like Engadget spreading the word.

Everything has just gotten too widely publicized, unfortunately. It should have been kept on the down low (hard to do when the carriers do such a piss-poor job of providing updates--people are desperate). But trust me, if xda-dev hadn't gotten so damn much press lately MS would never have lifted a finger... I bet you this whole thing is due to pressure from cellular carriers.

Like I said, the whole thing will just move underground, which may be better off for everybody. People that know enough about these devices will get in early and work will continue quietly. Then, once ROMs are more perfected and bugs worked out they can be leaked out to more public places.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:15 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Epic 3G / TP2
Carrier: Sprint / Google Voice

saridnour is a n00b
luv2chill: true to a point on the slipstreaming, although the intended audience of the tools is for corporate use. The idea is that the IT pro's can set a specific canned install business wide. But yes I believe they would squawk if they were distro'd on the net... now that brings me back to PE abd UBCD and the like

But all in all I do agree with you. It's too bad this will get forced underground and I am sure the carriers have a lot to do with it. They are putting pressure on everyone now days it seems. Sad thing is I think many would have paid for an aku 3.5, sure would beat buying that ring tone for $5 I really think the carriers are missing a busniess oppurtinty to a degree, but maybe their EULA prohibits it or something.

-saridnour
Old 02-14-2007, 08:45 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Harrier, HTC Apache, HTC Titan, HTC Vogue....

colonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuff
Yes, but the manufacturers and carriers are getting scared when their biggest selling point in a new device, namely Crossbow, is already being released for older phones. Case in point, how many people have said "With all these new roms, I don't need to run out and buy a 6800"? To me, though, this is a spoonful of their own medicine. If they cannot produce and support a device that I want, I am going to do it myself instead of buying the new shiny toy they parade out every year.

If you have been helped by me or would like to support developers like Olipro, helmi_c, and others please feel free to Donate

ALWAYS FLASH BACK TO YOUR CARRIER'S OFFICIAL ROM BEFORE TAKING YOUR PHONE IN FOR SERVICE OF ANY KIND

Old 02-14-2007, 09:02 PM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Argh. Yeah. Guess it was too good to be true.

Well, maybe it was my first and last windows mobile phone. Microsoft has a braindead business model to allow themselves to be locked into the deathgrip with the carriers. Too bad.

Edit: Uh.. all roms, but not Kitchens? Lol, I bet not.

No doubt it is the flood of people seeking "support" for their "bricked" phones from Sprint. All 12 of them.

Sheesh.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:24 PM
Regular 'Geeker

sfaure03 is a n00b
gimme a break. this is about new sales. New OS comes out, they want to sell new phones. If we fix old phones, whats the market for the new ones.

Simple as that.. Just like every other OS release from MSFT ++ Y2K. its not about the technology, or the "stealing", its all about marketing.

Plus, at least for a while they get to shove more marketing junkware on the phone to annoy us.

Why stiffle xda? Cause they plan on dominating the market, at least until the uproar from failures gets to the point they turn a blind eye on us again. We been here, done this so many times.....
Old 02-14-2007, 09:35 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: BB Tour
Carrier: Verizon

sixftunda is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfaure03
gimme a break. this is about new sales. New OS comes out, they want to sell new phones. If we fix old phones, whats the market for the new ones.
I don't think thats entirely true imo

I am only gonna tweak my 6700 til either the 6800 or the i760 comes out.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:27 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

theclerk74 is keeping up the good worktheclerk74 is keeping up the good work
I agree. Hardware upgrades would be enough to make me upgrade. Call me crazy, but the scroll wheel on the side of the 6800 is almost enough to make me want to switch!
Old 02-14-2007, 10:48 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Apache

The_Omni is a n00b
Its unfortunate but as mentioned earlier, entirely predictable.

As also already mentioned it is Microsoft's, and in some instances the Carrier's code and as such they do have the right to control its distribution.

Rant Mode On:
What I feel is criminal is the lack of support we as consumers have come to accept, and even expect. They (Carriers, Microsoft, and the OEM's) have this cycle down where they introduce product and push it hard and heavy for 3-6 months, then shut-off the support rapidly and EOL it within a year.

$600.00 dollars for a product that goes EOL in less than a year is not a great bargain in my view. Yes, I paid full retail (I have a great plan I don't want to change). I looked at the device long and hard and decided to invest my time and effort into making it a workable tool rather than just a broken toy. For the most part it has been a good experience, but no one in their right mind could say that the operation of this device was ever fully right and did what was promised (real hi fidelity A2DP anyone ?) completely (If it had I would not be out here scrounging for OS upgrades, would I?).

So although I understand Microsoft enforcing their intellectual property rights (and I agree probably at the Carrier's urging), I also feel as a consumer that they and Sprint (in my case) have not met their agreement with me as a consumer of their expensive and complicated device.

I would say these Carriers and to a lesser extent Microsoft had better tread very carefully, or they may fall victim to a backlash of increased competition, law suits, government regulation, and in the worst case a wholesale breakdown of their business channel to piracy. Ask the media mavens how that feels Sprint.

To UTR Starcom:
Thank you for trying to get these lazy greedy bastids off their arses, keep up the good work, it hasn't gone without notice to some of us.

Rant Mode Off:

Now where are the addresses to thhose private FTPs, DC Hubs, or Torrent trackers..I know I left them here somewhere.

Omni out!

Edit Add: Another thing for the powers-at-be to think about. I bought my PPC when I my research and discovered there was a strong community of people in the wild working on these devices and trying to make them better and fix the problems. I know of at least ten other people who also waited until they did their research and saw the community support before getting the bug to finally buy. Without the interesting upgrades and breakthrus from time to time these communitys soon grow stale and die.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:59 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

theclerk74 is keeping up the good worktheclerk74 is keeping up the good work
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Omni
I would say these Carriers and to a lesser extent Microsoft had better tread very carefully, or they may fall victim to a backlash of increased competition, law suits, government regulation, and in the worst case a wholesale breakdown of their business channel to piracy. Ask the media mavens how that feels Sprint.
Hmmm... I think it would be kind of cool to see a good, usable Linux port or even a Flash-based OS make it's way to the 6700. I know I'm dreaming, but alternate OS' seem to be making a pretty strong showing at 3GSM this week.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:14 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Android
Carrier: Telkomsel

helmi_c knows their stuffhelmi_c knows their stuffhelmi_c knows their stuffhelmi_c knows their stuffhelmi_c knows their stuffhelmi_c knows their stuffhelmi_c knows their stuff
Quote:
To: Microsoft

This Petition aims to show the support for xda-developers.com's archive of 'ROM Images'

The Undersigned wish to notify Microsoft Corp. of their strong feelings against the recent demands to remove the 'ROM Images'. We feel that they bring more publicity and support to the 'Windows Mobile' platform and device: without this we feel they would not be as popular as they are to this date.

Please think rationally Microsoft!

Sincerely,

The Undersigned
please go here for the petition:
http://www.petitiononline.com/xdadevs/petition.html

Please support our forum, hopes there's a sollution for this M$ stupid act...

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache