View Single Post
Old 02-14-2007, 07:17 PM
luv2chill
Retired Staff

luv2chill is keeping up the good workluv2chill is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via ICQ to luv2chill Send a message via AIM to luv2chill Send a message via MSN to luv2chill Send a message via Yahoo to luv2chill Send a message via Skype™ to luv2chill
saridnour, I believe MS would have a problem with someone hosting a slipstreamed copy of XP or Office too. They provide the tools to do that, but I don't think they intend or desire for slipstreamed versions to be distributed by anyone except them and their OEMs.

And in a way, I see their point... especially when the MS lawyer said that carriers have been complaining about idiot end users wanting them to support "custom roms" and with news outlets like Engadget spreading the word.

Everything has just gotten too widely publicized, unfortunately. It should have been kept on the down low (hard to do when the carriers do such a piss-poor job of providing updates--people are desperate). But trust me, if xda-dev hadn't gotten so damn much press lately MS would never have lifted a finger... I bet you this whole thing is due to pressure from cellular carriers.

Like I said, the whole thing will just move underground, which may be better off for everybody. People that know enough about these devices will get in early and work will continue quietly. Then, once ROMs are more perfected and bugs worked out they can be leaked out to more public places.