PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2011, 06:52 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG V10, iPhone 6 and Nokia ICON
Carrier: Verizon

DavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to DavidinCT Send a message via MSN to DavidinCT
Re: Why did you choose W7 over Android ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangekid View Post
And of course the best thing ever in Android is the CRT screen on/off animations.
Why would you need to ? Windows Phone 7 does not slow down when running the quick animations like Android does.

Most Andriod users disable Animations becuase it causes perfomance issues, this just does not happen with WP7.

http://mc.anywherecool.com/Blog/
If I helped in anyway, please hit thanks !
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:48 PM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead
Carrier: T-Mobile

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid
Not the crt animation.

Sent from my HTC HD2 on the PPCGeeks App
Old 08-10-2011, 02:12 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: richardolson
Carrier: richardolson

richardolson is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Windows 7 seems to have some advantages
- Direct updates from Microsoft not carriers via OTA or Zune pc software
- consistent & different UI
- Office, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, SharePoint, OneNote, Outlook including editing
- 25GB Online storage, autosync, Find My Phone included free
- Xbox Live game integration
- Zune media integration
- Big Marketing budget
Old 08-10-2011, 03:49 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Micro$oft 950
Carrier: AT&T

steveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangekid View Post
Well I do like Live Tiles a lot, but the big clock does have time/date/weather/alarm in an aesthetic way. HTC hub one is freaking amazing but I wish I could set that on my home screen and then scroll down for tiles.

On the ATT thing, they won't do it, we just need to hack the xap. Since my roms are always developer unlocked I can just manually install it.

I really like the live tiles as well. I also like the bigger HTC clock; however I don't miss it at all. The lockscreen clock is more than functional for me. I agree, I think the HTC hub is a pretty cool. It would be nice to be able for the user to use it at least on the lockscreen when you wake up the phone.

Back on topic, I just really enjoy the smoothness and speed of the OS even before Mango. Everything just works. Most things missing will be available w/the official update. I also love the Zune integration.

Last edited by steveo70; 08-10-2011 at 04:07 AM.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:00 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G LTE
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

Amamba is keeping up the good workAmamba is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I installed XDAndoid to get familiar with the OS. I also installed MSKip's SPB MS based WM7 theme - by most accounts, it's somewhat close to some basic WM functionality, at least as far as live tiles are concerned.

I really like the WM7 interface. Much more than Android. Seems to be very useful in getting lots of info and access to most used function right on the home screen while being finger-friendly and decent looking (although with no customization, the Tiles look can get boring soon).

If I had to pick today, with all other things being equal, I'd get WP7 over Android. However, it also depends on what options Sprint has a year from now (if Sprint is still around a year from now ). If the $50 Optimus S was available when I got my $200 TP2, I'd get it instead - it still gives a typical smartphone experience at $150 less. So, I will wait and see... but at this point, WP surely looks good. Unfortunately, the memory consumption of W7 theme is so high, I am back to Titanium.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:58 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amamba View Post
I installed XDAndoid to get familiar with the OS. I also installed MSKip's SPB MS based WM7 theme - by most accounts, it's somewhat close to some basic WM functionality, at least as far as live tiles are concerned.

I really like the WM7 interface. Much more than Android. Seems to be very useful in getting lots of info and access to most used function right on the home screen while being finger-friendly and decent looking (although with no customization, the Tiles look can get boring soon).

If I had to pick today, with all other things being equal, I'd get WP7 over Android. However, it also depends on what options Sprint has a year from now (if Sprint is still around a year from now ). If the $50 Optimus S was available when I got my $200 TP2, I'd get it instead - it still gives a typical smartphone experience at $150 less. So, I will wait and see... but at this point, WP surely looks good. Unfortunately, the memory consumption of W7 theme is so high, I am back to Titanium.
@Amamba search for the todayxlive plugin, its another wp7 layout that consumes much less RAM. im using it on my tp2 with the kenio Spanish rom and I boot with 37% RAM used.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:53 PM
Bringer of Good Things
Pocket PC: HTC TITAN
Carrier: AT&T

GoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinCT View Post
Why would you need to ? Windows Phone 7 does not slow down when running the quick animations like Android does.

Most Andriod users disable Animations becuase it causes perfomance issues, this just does not happen with WP7.
Indeed. The first thing I do when I go into settings is to turn off animations. In Windows Phone 7, the animations serve as a nice replacement of the "hour glass" ... they're smooth but quick and simple.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:53 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

jaeskill is becoming a great contributor

I dont think the animations are a replacement for the hourglass, because I still get a line of 5 travelling dots when my phone is loading info from a program like facebook. I would assume the animations are more for eye candy during screen transitions.

Anyway, I was on the fence about WP7 and Android for the longest time and had actually felt stupid for ordering a Trophy before I had gotten it; my brother and my sister both bought Droids (visually superior phones) at the same time that I bought my Trophy. I went to play with the "floor model" that VZW had so I wasn't exactly happy with my only exposure to the OS. Long story short, this is easily the best phone I have owned. I even bought TPU cases in different colors to swap out when I change the theme I have on my phone (green, blue, purple, and red).

In my opinion, the phone is not very impressive until you have YOUR info on it; I have no idea how I managed to do anything on my TP2. I get things done so quickly that I catch myself looking at my screen thinking "O.K... what do I want to do now." Even the XBL functionality, which I thought was a gimmick at first, has become useful; when I get a message I just use my phone to reply instead of slowly typing a message on the console (no voice msgs tho).

The phone fits my lifestyle perfectly, could not be happier.

The "floor model" I mentioned earlier was actually ONE powered down device that the manager had on his person... It was NOT on display like the other devices were and the store reps had no idea how to use the phone. Without a doubt, WP7 would be selling better if the US carriers pushed them with as much vigor as they push Droids.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:38 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Arrive
Carrier: Sprint For Now

alphaxi3 is just getting started

I chose WP7 over the Droid because I did some reading up on the device and went to Sprint and other provider stores and tested the phones. I really did not like the OS's feel, because it reminded me of an I-phone and tended to be jerky. My WM6.1 phone was jerky like that and it irratated the crap out of me. My research into the phone gave me a red flag, because the fragmentation thing kept popping its head up. I got the feeling you don't know what your getting until you buy an Android. Those issues drove me to stick with MS.

Then I was buying my son a phone, so he can walk to school and he would have a way to contact us if he needed. I did not want to spend the $199 for the WP7 phone so I got a Android phone. What a piece of crap. Damn thing won't stream video unless you are on WIFI, jerky and that damn I-phone feel irrates me. The stupid phone can't tell that when streaming over a 3G connection it has to wait for the video to come through so it quits and says cannot play video. I have since tested some of my freinds Droid phones and they have the same problem with streaming. After doing a lot of investigating this seems to be a common problem with Android phones and no one has figured out how to solve it. It seems if you do not get a top of the line Android phone you are asking for trouble, confirming my thought that you do not know what you are getting in a Android until you buy it. Androids are now banned in my house. The wife said she was thinking about gettng an Android, I told her don't come to me to fix any of the problems you will have with that crap. I will not spend the time to try and fix it like I did our sons. Any problems you will have you are on your own.

Needless to say she's getting a WP7 phone.

Oh and I don't want to here any of you fandroids talking about its the phone I got, because an OS is an OS is an OS. Just because the phone may not have the processing power another one has, the only difference is that it should run slower. It should not fail to perform certain tasks.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:10 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaxi3 View Post
I chose WP7 over the Droid because I did some reading up on the device and went to Sprint and other provider stores and tested the phones. I really did not like the OS's feel, because it reminded me of an I-phone and tended to be jerky. My WM6.1 phone was jerky like that and it irratated the crap out of me. My research into the phone gave me a red flag, because the fragmentation thing kept popping its head up. I got the feeling you don't know what your getting until you buy an Android. Those issues drove me to stick with MS.

Then I was buying my son a phone, so he can walk to school and he would have a way to contact us if he needed. I did not want to spend the $199 for the WP7 phone so I got a Android phone. What a piece of crap. Damn thing won't stream video unless you are on WIFI, jerky and that damn I-phone feel irrates me. The stupid phone can't tell that when streaming over a 3G connection it has to wait for the video to come through so it quits and says cannot play video. I have since tested some of my freinds Droid phones and they have the same problem with streaming. After doing a lot of investigating this seems to be a common problem with Android phones and no one has figured out how to solve it. It seems if you do not get a top of the line Android phone you are asking for trouble, confirming my thought that you do not know what you are getting in a Android until you buy it. Androids are now banned in my house. The wife said she was thinking about gettng an Android, I told her don't come to me to fix any of the problems you will have with that crap. I will not spend the time to try and fix it like I did our sons. Any problems you will have you are on your own.

Needless to say she's getting a WP7 phone.

Oh and I don't want to here any of you fandroids talking about its the phone I got, because an OS is an OS is an OS. Just because the phone may not have the processing power another one has, the only difference is that it should run slower. It should not fail to perform certain tasks.
wow never heard of that one before,I've heard of text messaging issues and such. but not streaming. I have problems streaming video over 3G on my arrive but I blame that on the network in my area rather than my phone.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions