PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2011, 06:06 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Why did you choose W7 over Android ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinCT View Post
I guess it all depends on what you need, I am only using it to save call time (AKA, friends and family number for my GV number, call out using a GV app, get free calls from carrier).

I've been using Freetalk, it does support push but, I have not tested that aspect yet.
eww I dont really use google services anymore and I recently uninstalled everything with the name google in it from my PC and ironically it started to run smoother.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:04 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG V10, iPhone 6 and Nokia ICON
Carrier: Verizon

DavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to DavidinCT Send a message via MSN to DavidinCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
eww I dont really use google services anymore and I recently uninstalled everything with the name google in it from my PC and ironically it started to run smoother.
Freetalk didn't slow down my phone because I am not using push apps. I am only really using it to get free phone calls on my cell phone.

When I go through it, it calls me back and that's one of my favorite numbers, so it's free I only really use it for the long conference calls I have to be on, so they don't eat all my minutes. I do sometimes send some text or SMS from it but, nothing major.

I agree on the PC, some app installed chome (must of missed the check box when installing something), even after uninstall, it caused tons of problems (I had to manually remove google from the registry to fix it).

So, on the PC, I agree with you but, for WP7 and a nice app to make free calls, it works good.

http://mc.anywherecool.com/Blog/
If I helped in anyway, please hit thanks !
Old 08-08-2011, 08:47 PM
Banned User

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinCT View Post
Freetalk didn't slow down my phone because I am not using push apps. I am only really using it to get free phone calls on my cell phone.

When I go through it, it calls me back and that's one of my favorite numbers, so it's free I only really use it for the long conference calls I have to be on, so they don't eat all my minutes. I do sometimes send some text or SMS from it but, nothing major.

I agree on the PC, some app installed chome (must of missed the check box when installing something), even after uninstall, it caused tons of problems (I had to manually remove google from the registry to fix it).

So, on the PC, I agree with you but, for WP7 and a nice app to make free calls, it works good.
im waiting on the Skype app. now Bing maps has public transit directions (on the full site) hopefully they implement that in the mango final now I really dont have to use google anymore.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:16 PM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

Some of the reasons I still can't quite give up Android for WP7 (correct me if WP7 can actually do this but I didn't know)

1) Widgets that have fast settings toggles and information. On one screen I can toggle 2G/3G, data/sync/brightness/airplane/wifi/bluetooth gps. Just tap and you're good, no need to navigate 4 menus to get there. On the same screen I see my battery percentage, ma drain, cpu temp, sound settings (control media/ringtones/alarm from one) and a really good visual equalizer. All of this is controlled with 1 to 2 taps from one screen that I can swipe to.

2) LWPs. I know it's not necessary and some of them are hoggs, but I still love some awesome ones and love the option.

3) Big ass clock widget, like an HTC style. With Fancy Widgets pro the clock/weather icons are endless and I love it on my home screen.

4) Choose different lock screens. (my fav is rotary revamped on CM7)

5) CM7 tmobile theme chooser.

6) More awesome free games.

7) Control my uverse DVR with an awesome app.

8 ) RSS News Widget on my home screen (they should have a live tile for this if they don't)

9) Can't find a podcast player/downloader as good as BeyondPod

If I can get this on Mango then I'd be super happy. It's to each his own. I just feel like I have more freedom with Android than WP7 which has pros and cons admittedly. I love Mango so far and cannot wait to flash 7720, but for me CM7 2.3.5 is still the best for my needs. Zero lag, zero issues, zero restarts, fast and smooth as WP7 even though I've got my cpu UC to 768mhz unless I'm gaming (then I jack it up to 1.2ghz).
Old 08-09-2011, 01:36 PM
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangekid View Post
Some of the reasons I still can't quite give up Android for WP7 (correct me if WP7 can actually do this but I didn't know)

1) Widgets that have fast settings toggles and information. On one screen I can toggle 2G/3G, data/sync/brightness/airplane/wifi/bluetooth gps. Just tap and you're good, no need to navigate 4 menus to get there. On the same screen I see my battery percentage, ma drain, cpu temp, sound settings (control media/ringtones/alarm from one) and a really good visual equalizer. All of this is controlled with 1 to 2 taps from one screen that I can swipe to.

2) LWPs. I know it's not necessary and some of them are hoggs, but I still love some awesome ones and love the option.

3) Big ass clock widget, like an HTC style. With Fancy Widgets pro the clock/weather icons are endless and I love it on my home screen.

4) Choose different lock screens. (my fav is rotary revamped on CM7)

5) CM7 tmobile theme chooser.

6) More awesome free games.

7) Control my uverse DVR with an awesome app.

8 ) RSS News Widget on my home screen (they should have a live tile for this if they don't)

9) Can't find a podcast player/downloader as good as BeyondPod

If I can get this on Mango then I'd be super happy. It's to each his own. I just feel like I have more freedom with Android than WP7 which has pros and cons admittedly. I love Mango so far and cannot wait to flash 7720, but for me CM7 2.3.5 is still the best for my needs. Zero lag, zero issues, zero restarts, fast and smooth as WP7 even though I've got my cpu UC to 768mhz unless I'm gaming (then I jack it up to 1.2ghz).
I'll answer a few of these and im sure that others can answer the rest.

1) you can pin settings to the start screen, that'll reduce the number of taps by half.
3) MS has talked down such widgets where a clock takes up most of the screen.
4) u can adjust the background of the existing lockscreen and its the most informative one I've seen thus far.
5) wp7 doesn't need any mods to provide a great user experience
7) AT&T does have an app for this but I think It was only for at&t branded phones
live tiles can display tons for information in mango than in NoDo and the RSS ability will come with that.
9) Zune by default can search for and download podcasts.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:50 PM

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

Quote:
I'll answer a few of these and im sure that others can answer the rest.

1) you can pin settings to the start screen, that'll reduce the number of taps by half.
3) MS has talked down such widgets where a clock takes up most of the screen.
4) u can adjust the background of the existing lockscreen and its the most informative one I've seen thus far.
5) wp7 doesn't need any mods to provide a great user experience
7) AT&T does have an app for this but I think It was only for at&t branded phones
live tiles can display tons for information in mango than in NoDo and the RSS ability will come with that.
9) Zune by default can search for and download podcasts.
I just wish I could have more home screens maybe?

On #1 I don't want those tiles taking up my whole screen,

on #3 I love that clock, not sure why MS gives a damn, on

on #4 I'm talking about the actual locking mechanism, like the HC one or the Sense3 Tab.

on #5 is just a theme changing engine that is fast and fun, wouldn't you like to change some icons or skin some apps?

on #7 Same with Android, but it's been ripped to work on my tmobile phone, I wish we could do that with the WP7 xap version.

on #8 I can't wait for this, they could really do some amazing shit with live tiles.

on #9 I'll check it out again, didn't think I could search and subscribe and stream/download to my device.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:07 PM
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangekid View Post
I just wish I could have more home screens maybe?

On #1 I don't want those tiles taking up my whole screen,

on #3 I love that clock, not sure why MS gives a damn, on

on #4 I'm talking about the actual locking mechanism, like the HC one or the Sense3 Tab.

on #5 is just a theme changing engine that is fast and fun, wouldn't you like to change some icons or skin some apps?

on #7 Same with Android, but it's been ripped to work on my tmobile phone, I wish we could do that with the WP7 xap version.

on #8 I can't wait for this, they could really do some amazing shit with live tiles.

on #9 I'll check it out again, didn't think I could search and subscribe and stream/download to my device.
1- the tiles are the shit and are much more efficient than static icons.
3-takes away from the information aspect of the start screen, im pretty sure that there will eventually be clock apps that will have a live tile.
4- well those lockscreens can't show artist art and such.
5- I didn't really like doing that when I had WM and didn't bother to. I also didn't really like custom roms that drastically change the taskbar and other icons (look up my older posts and u'll see me express my discontent towards this.)
7- u can ask at$t to make the app for all uverse subscribers but it'll take away from them wanting u to get the whole bundle.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:41 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Mogul > TP1 > TP2 > Arrive > SGS3 > SGS4 > LG G4
Carrier: Sprint

esqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuff
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

I guess for 3 you can use htc hub for the huge clock on the screen.

Pic isn't mine.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
1- the tiles are the shit and are much more efficient than static icons.
3-takes away from the information aspect of the start screen, im pretty sure that there will eventually be clock apps that will have a live tile.
4- well those lockscreens can't show artist art and such.
5- I didn't really like doing that when I had WM and didn't bother to. I also didn't really like custom roms that drastically change the taskbar and other icons (look up my older posts and u'll see me express my discontent towards this.)
7- u can ask at$t to make the app for all uverse subscribers but it'll take away from them wanting u to get the whole bundle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by esqueue View Post
I guess for 3 you can use htc hub for the huge clock on the screen.

Pic isn't mine.
Well I do like Live Tiles a lot, but the big clock does have time/date/weather/alarm in an aesthetic way. HTC hub one is freaking amazing but I wish I could set that on my home screen and then scroll down for tiles.

On the ATT thing, they won't do it, we just need to hack the xap. Since my roms are always developer unlocked I can just manually install it.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:46 PM

And of course the best thing ever in Android is the CRT screen on/off animations.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions