PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2011, 12:29 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G LTE
Carrier: Sprint

Amamba is keeping up the good workAmamba is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Why did you choose W7 over Android ?

Boys and girls,

In less than a year, I will be facing the dilemma of upgrading my phone... and I just can't make up my mind. I've been using WM of various flavors since '02. A lot of it for work / productivity - keeping project notes, simple spreadsheets, keeping track of spending, etc. A great feature of WM - for me at least - is the ability to seamlessly sync & access my files across several computers. Cloud services are great as long as your employers don't block them out - I can't use Dropbox, Sky Drive, or Evernote at work (but they do allow access to Google Docs, for now at least).

On the other hand, WM devices seem to be more expensive (for the features I need, anyway) than Android. My wife's Optimus S is a great little phone that was only $50 vs $200 for TP2. Also, I am not all that sure that MS & developers won't just turn their back on W7 the way they did on WM.

I played with Android on my TP2 (XDAndroid), it's sort of buggy but it does give me a good idea of overall performance etc. I could definitely use Android, however I may need to completely change the way I do some things. I have no idea about W7 - no access to phone. Just playing with a store demo unit won't tell me much.

So, why did YOU pick a windows phone over Android ? Sell me on the idea !
Old 08-06-2011, 03:17 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Re: Why did you choose W7 over Android ?

-well the MS ecosystem for one (SkyDrive,Zune,office,Xbox live)
-I love the fact that in mango I can do alot of the things that android and iOS can do without having to launch an app.
-html5 hardware accelerated web browsing without need for a 3rd party browser and no mobile site redirects at all.
-it just works and I don't have to restart it unless im switching batteries
-battery life trouches android and has better battery management settings.
- u can control what u want running in the background without consequence (like Android).
-live tiles really give an idea of whats going on without having to launch an app and it makes the homescreen look alive rather than just a grid of icons in an app launcher fashion (android and iOS).
This post has been thanked 5 times.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:35 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Mogul > TP1 > TP2 > Arrive > SGS3 > SGS4 > LG G4

esqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuff
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

I'll start with cons.

The fact is lots of the aps that I would like to have are not on WP7 and I have no clue if they ever will. Apps like Qik, Logmein, pocket Irc and so on. I'm not saying that it will never happen but there is no timeline on when it should happen.

Now the reason why I chose WP7 even despite the application situation is speed and the fact that it just workes. I think of something and search it up and the browser works. If I want to take a picture I don't have to worry about the phone loading and the event passes before my phone is ready. If the phone rings, you don't have to worry about it freezing as you answer it. Daily resets are a thing of the past. If you do have a reason to reset, the phone doesn't take minutes to start. I think that the insanely good battery life I have is due to the Arrive as my cousin has a WP7 with the same h/w as the evo and complains about battery so I don't know. I have yet to enable the battery saving features in the mango 2 beta as I find it unnecessary for now.

I was planning on returning it if I hated it. I didn't care for android so I tried wp7.

Basically I gambled and ended up loving the phone. That makes me to believe that MS isn't doing a good job showing off the phone's positive points but that another topic.

That said, if you loved the customizability of 6.5 I honestly believe that android is for you.

Last edited by esqueue; 08-06-2011 at 05:42 PM.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:54 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

deadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to deadwrong03 Send a message via MSN to deadwrong03 Send a message via Yahoo to deadwrong03 Send a message via Skype™ to deadwrong03

the smoothness of the os, coming from winmo giving this a try pretty much does everything i want it to do except for usb mass storage and downloading music files directly to the phone from the web browser, and a file manager everything else im satisfied with
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:20 PM
Banned User

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadwrong03 View Post
the smoothness of the os, coming from winmo giving this a try pretty much does everything i want it to do except for usb mass storage and downloading music files directly to the phone from the web browser, and a file manager everything else im satisfied with
in the latest mango beta u can download and play files from the web browser.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:24 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G LTE
Threadstarter

Amamba is keeping up the good workAmamba is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Thanks !

So, the Win Phone 7 is superior to WM but lacks customization. And the biggest advantage over Android is the main screen that gives better access to info and some actions ?
Old 08-06-2011, 06:46 PM
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amamba View Post
Thanks !

So, the Win Phone 7 is superior to WM but lacks customization. And the biggest advantage over Android is the main screen that gives better access to info and some actions ?
that and the fact u can basically do almost everything without having to launch an app. it also has greater task management control than android (u control what u want running in the background)
Old 08-06-2011, 07:46 PM
I am a Patriot
Pocket PC: touchdiamond<treo800<touchpro<touchpro2<arrive<evo
Carrier: sprint

rrjskj is a VIPrrjskj is a VIPrrjskj is a VIPrrjskj is a VIPrrjskj is a VIPrrjskj is a VIPrrjskj is a VIPrrjskj is a VIPrrjskj is a VIPrrjskj is a VIPrrjskj is a VIP
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

ummm op i suggest u go out and try both the android and wp7 devices and see which 1 is right for u i'm only saying this cause i own both the arrive and the evo and they both have their hit's and misses ..
Old 08-06-2011, 09:59 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Mogul > TP1 > TP2 > Arrive > SGS3 > SGS4 > LG G4

esqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuff
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadwrong03 View Post
except for usb mass storage and downloading music files directly to the phone from the web browser, and a file manager everything else im satisfied with
you can use it as a mass storage

Use your Windows Phone 7 device as a portable USB drive | MobileTechWorld
Old 08-06-2011, 10:46 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung Intrepid

kingsree is a n00b
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Just played with a Evo 3D and Arrive at a sprint store. Even with a dual core processor Android just feels laggy compared to WP7 on a single core. Mind you I'm not a big fan of Arrive (screen looks crap) but there is no denying the buttery smoothness of WP7 even before Mango.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions