PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2011, 10:06 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Axim x51v and TouchPro 2 now Arrive
Carrier: Sprint

JohnMcD348 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Anyone experienceing trouble with Apps not running/updating?

Today I've noticed that my Arrive has not really been able to run/update different types of apps. Ex:

AccuWeather and Weather Channel apps will not show anything.

SPB TV and Sprint Tv will not show any programs. USA Today won't run either.

They all start but hang and don't give any information. Most just show the start page screen and nothing else. Sometimes I do see the little dots scrolling across the screen.

Many of the other programs seem to be OK.

iHeartRadio works fine, 1800PocketPC loads and updates, Endgaget, FoxNews, GasBuddy and many others work fine.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 08-27-2011, 11:00 PM
Bringer of Good Things
Pocket PC: HTC TITAN
Carrier: AT&T

GoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Re: Anyone experienceing trouble with Apps not running/updating?

No problems to report here. Aside from opening different programs, what have you tried to troubleshoot it?
Old 08-28-2011, 06:19 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Well, that's part of my problem also. I'm so new to WP7 that I'm not really sure how to go about trouble shooting. I looked at other programs that go out through the network and update and they seemed to work. I tried:

Compass: started and1800 showed current location on map and accurate direction.
1800PocketPC: Started and was able to update to the latest news/information.

I've uninstalled the apps that didn't work and I'm trying to reinstall them and see if they will run.

Other than that, I'm pretty uncertain where to go to try and figure it out. Any Ideas?

Update:
Uninstalled/reinstalled the apps this morning. Nothing. Even tried a few other Weather apps, WeatherBug and it didn't work either.It didn't even load up after install. When I tap it, it did ask for the pretinent information the first time and found my location well enough. Now when I tap on it, the screen goes black and the app doesn't even load. No Flash Screen, nothing. At least with the Weather Channel app, I still get "The Weather Channel" Flash screen but it goes no further than that.

I'm at a loss. The HTC zone area seems to update without a problem. I wouldn't think the other weather service apps would use the same weather resource would they? That's probably the only reason I could think of for it to freeze.

Last edited by JohnMcD348; 08-28-2011 at 09:31 AM.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:43 AM
Bringer of Good Things
Pocket PC: HTC TITAN
Carrier: AT&T

GoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

Did you try rebooting the phone? I'd start there in case something is hung up. Are you able to just surf the web through IE?

In any case, go to Marketplace pages for those apps and check reviews to see if they're having the same issue. I use Weather Channel, and I'm not having any issues, but I'm also running Mango.

Also, is this happening on Wi-Fi, Cell Data, or both?

Also, have you had any bad weather in your area? It could be a down tower or something like that in your area.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:28 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

OK. I'll reboot and see what I can do. I haven't tried it on WiFi, it's doing it only through Sprint's Cell Data. I rarely use WiFi anymore since I can't log into the Hidden networks yet. Everything else seems to work OK as I noted in the OP. No trouble with IE, Marketplace, etc. We've been having the usual Florida Summer storms. Nothing any more major than a typical day. Heavy lightening, 1-3" rain. Heavy in some spots, dry next door. Nothing special. I only noticed it yesterday because I needed to check them to see if we were going to have Baseball practice for my sons LL team and it was currently pouring out but Practice still had about an hour before we had to be on the field. I was wanting to check the Weather apps to see the radar prints and that's when I noticed they were not working. I know they worked earlier last week because I was using it to track Irene.

Also, I checked my phones settings. Location is on, Region & Language is set to U.S. English, Airplane mode is off, Date & Time are set for -5UTC. That's all I could think of as far as other reasons it might not have been working or set for my area.

Last edited by JohnMcD348; 08-28-2011 at 10:31 AM.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:28 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

UPDATE:

Strange. Rest the phone and reinstalled The Weather Channel app and all seems to be working OK now. Now I have to reinstall all the apps I had on there and hope that the few pictures I took "Are in the Clouds" so I can get them back. I hadn't thought of that before I reset everything. No major loss. I've only had it for about a month now and really haven't done a huge amount with it.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:46 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

its good practice to hardreset a device soon as you get it.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:51 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

When I got the phone it was essentially new out of the box. I even had to update the OS to the latest version when I got it. All I've done with it for the past month was install a few of the free apps and such from the Marketplace. Loaded a few tunes via Zune and some podcasts. I just thought it strange how a particular set of like style programs would stop working while pretty much all the others still worked without issue.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:42 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

I would've done a soft reset first rather than a hard reset.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:56 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

I just used the reset option under the Settings: About: Reset Your Phone

It was the only one I knew of. I tried taking the battery out and turning it back on first but that didn't help.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions