PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2011, 03:41 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Re: Why did you choose W7 over Android ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodThings2Life View Post
Indeed. The first thing I do when I go into settings is to turn off animations. In Windows Phone 7, the animations serve as a nice replacement of the "hour glass" ... they're smooth but quick and simple.
There is a loading glass? I so far have yet to see it :/..when I use animations its smooth transitions. When I turn off animations its instant load.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaxi3 View Post
I chose WP7 over the Droid because I did some reading up on the device and went to Sprint and other provider stores and tested the phones. I really did not like the OS's feel, because it reminded me of an I-phone and tended to be jerky. My WM6.1 phone was jerky like that and it irratated the crap out of me. My research into the phone gave me a red flag, because the fragmentation thing kept popping its head up. I got the feeling you don't know what your getting until you buy an Android. Those issues drove me to stick with MS.

Then I was buying my son a phone, so he can walk to school and he would have a way to contact us if he needed. I did not want to spend the $199 for the WP7 phone so I got a Android phone. What a piece of crap. Damn thing won't stream video unless you are on WIFI, jerky and that damn I-phone feel irrates me. The stupid phone can't tell that when streaming over a 3G connection it has to wait for the video to come through so it quits and says cannot play video. I have since tested some of my freinds Droid phones and they have the same problem with streaming. After doing a lot of investigating this seems to be a common problem with Android phones and no one has figured out how to solve it. It seems if you do not get a top of the line Android phone you are asking for trouble, confirming my thought that you do not know what you are getting in a Android until you buy it. Androids are now banned in my house. The wife said she was thinking about gettng an Android, I told her don't come to me to fix any of the problems you will have with that crap. I will not spend the time to try and fix it like I did our sons. Any problems you will have you are on your own.

Needless to say she's getting a WP7 phone.

Oh and I don't want to here any of you fandroids talking about its the phone I got, because an OS is an OS is an OS. Just because the phone may not have the processing power another one has, the only difference is that it should run slower. It should not fail to perform certain tasks.

Never experienced this..but it might be due to me using a custom rom..what I think the issue is that sprint puts in their own "cache" servers for video streaming and like all carrier meddling it causes more problems then its worth..you can disable the streaming cache by going into the phone radio settings. Many custom roms do it for you too(not all)

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 08-17-2011, 04:28 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
There is a loading glass? I so far have yet to see it :/..when I use animations its smooth transitions. When I turn off animations its instant load.

Never experienced this..but it might be due to me using a custom rom..what I think the issue is that sprint puts in their own "cache" servers for video streaming and like all carrier meddling it causes more problems then its worth..you can disable the streaming cache by going into the phone radio settings. Many custom roms do it for you too(not all)
they do that for all phones or just the droids? because I have no problems streaming Netflix or vevo on my train commutes or when im at home in the late night hours (towers are still busted)
Old 08-17-2011, 05:13 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
they do that for all phones or just the droids? because I have no problems streaming Netflix or vevo on my train commutes or when im at home in the late night hours (towers are still busted)
Not sure if its on WP7 but it wasn't on winmo...

its called:

The Sprint HTTPPD and RTSP proxies
Old 08-17-2011, 05:53 PM
Banned User

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP

Quote:
Not sure if its on WP7 but it wasn't on winmo...

its called:

The Sprint HTTPPD and RTSP proxies
yea it probably isn't on wp7 either then since that person said he wasn't having issues. I know blackberries are proxied as well.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:02 PM
Bringer of Good Things
Pocket PC: HTC TITAN
Carrier: AT&T

GoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

Quote:
Bad example, I guess, but I was referring more to the concept of loading delays and the old Windows Mobile days than anything else. In any case, I never kept animations on in Android. The only reason apps loaded instant on my EVO was when I'd allow them to keep running in the background, but yeah, I frequently experience load lag. But I typically stick to stock ROM experiences.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:39 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
yea it probably isn't on wp7 either then since that person said he wasn't having issues. I know blackberries are proxied as well.
Its pretty simple to disable, but its sad at the length sprint will go to save a few bucks :/..in blackberries case though I think they do it to encrypt the data as everything goes through their servers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodThings2Life View Post
Bad example, I guess, but I was referring more to the concept of loading delays and the old Windows Mobile days than anything else. In any case, I never kept animations on in Android. The only reason apps loaded instant on my EVO was when I'd allow them to keep running in the background, but yeah, I frequently experience load lag. But I typically stick to stock ROM experiences.
Everything loads instant on my Epic, even not in background, ran it for 60+ days without a reboot...and once the RFS filesystem is out the door its smoother then butter...

the secret is that TouchWiz launcher is fairly light and the TouchWiz framework instead of adding useless bloat actually includes CPU optimization. The only fault they made is including the RFS filesystem which luckily they stopped doing in the SGS2...

The Evo by default has Sense and that thing is bloated too much..HTC should consider making things load on your phone as you use them and not trying to load up all the things you may not even use..
Old 08-18-2011, 07:29 PM
Bringer of Good Things
Pocket PC: HTC TITAN
Carrier: AT&T

GoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

Quote:
The Evo by default has Sense and that thing is bloated too much..HTC should consider making things load on your phone as you use them and not trying to load up all the things you may not even use..
Agreed, which is a point I made earlier... I HATE Sense, and I say HATE here in the sense that if I could punch someone at HTC for the atrocity, I would punch them twice every second for the rest of their life.

One thing I liked about the Arrive though was being able to uninstall all of the HTC/Sprint crap without needing to do any special unlocking routine, and none of it can run on "startup".
Old 08-18-2011, 07:52 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: 6850 Touch Pro
Carrier: sprint

rugalfury is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Does mango updates give wp the ability to tether? I like the arrive but, I know some of the features that wm that I'm used to just aren't there yet. So I have been at a standstill really. I like android but it's just something about it that I can't put my finger on. I'm into year two of android and I just want to try something different.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Old 08-18-2011, 10:36 PM
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugalfury View Post
Does mango updates give wp the ability to tether? I like the arrive but, I know some of the features that wm that I'm used to just aren't there yet. So I have been at a standstill really. I like android but it's just something about it that I can't put my finger on. I'm into year two of android and I just want to try something different.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
if ur into trying something different then go ahead and go for it. as for tethering it is available if u unlock the device and then do this hack.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:49 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Axim x51v and TouchPro 2 now Arrive

JohnMcD348 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

I simply chose it since the phone was free. I had a TP2 and began having trouble with it after owning it just after the first year. I payed a few times to get replacements since I didn't carry the coverage insurance and it was 1 hardware issue after another. Finally, they offered to exchange me up to a new Arrive phone w/ WP7 on it. I figured I'd give it a try for a few more months until my upgrade path came open and then I'd decide whether to stay Windows or go Droid. So far, for me, the jury is still out. I'm waiting to see what happens with the platform later this year and whether MS really puts any significant support and input into it or leaves it to flounder.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions