PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2010, 10:34 AM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead
Carrier: T-Mobile

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid
Re: WHY does anyone want WP7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 View Post
im not posting for the 95% peeps or the 5%, im posting what i want of a new phone and wp7 right now cant compare to my epic, im talking all over and talking about sprints dismal offering the pro 7.
We always knew you were not of this species.

I see your point. That Pro7 looks ugly as hell, but then again so does the Epic imo.

No one is arguing that WP7 can't do as much as Android yet, but I mean I would easily rock an HD7 any day right along with my HD2 (or just wait for a good port so I can dual-boot).

Sprint seems to have a knack of putting out ugly/bad phones as far as I'm concerned.

The Vibrant is so much better than the Epic, the HD7 much nicer than the Pro7. The only one I think they got right was the Evo, but even a broken clock is right twice a day, I'm just glad I'm still on Tmo.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:01 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 and every single phone verizon had...
Carrier: Verizon

Noir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

I think if anything the hd2 port of wp7 will be a lot of things but fully functional is not one phrase I'd use for a few reasons
1. microsoft private keys
2. you really do need four touch points, there is no way around that
3. no verification, no online function making marketplace impossible

I love the hd2 as well but make the jump at least for a few days...for a full wp7 experience
Old 11-23-2010, 11:25 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC TP2
Carrier: Pageplus

Morningglory is a n00b

I hope to keep 6.5 TP2 for a long tyme, Unless software developers are going to update their already existing software so phone 7 marketplace...doesn't become the only mall in town..... Go to any Hand held pocket computer download site and see how many of these PROGRAMS will be available on 7, ???? I want to know this...
Old 11-23-2010, 11:59 AM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead
Carrier: T-Mobile

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
I think if anything the hd2 port of wp7 will be a lot of things but fully functional is not one phrase I'd use for a few reasons
1. microsoft private keys
2. you really do need four touch points, there is no way around that
3. no verification, no online function making marketplace impossible

I love the hd2 as well but make the jump at least for a few days...for a full wp7 experience
True, but with loading side apps using the Market Place won't really be fully necessary, kind of like installing CABS or APKs. And side loading is sure to be around for everyone very soon now that they almost have full root access.

I'll probably get a used HD7 in early 20100 for a decent price anyways.

I don't understand what you're implying that the HD2 can't do "4 touch points" it's just drivers built on a capacitive screen right? The HD7 doesn't have some new screen technology the HD2 doesn't have does it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morningglory View Post
I hope to keep 6.5 TP2 for a long tyme, Unless software developers are going to update their already existing software so phone 7 marketplace...doesn't become the only mall in town..... Go to any Hand held pocket computer download site and see how many of these PROGRAMS will be available on 7, ???? I want to know this...
software developers aren't going to upgrade their stuff to WP7, they are leaving WM6.x FOR WP7 and iOS because you can actually make money on those apps, unlike the no money to be made on WM6.x
Old 11-23-2010, 01:38 PM
VIP
Pocket PC: HD2/Focus/soon EVO3D
Carrier: Sprint

Mr.KLeen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMr.KLeen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMr.KLeen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMr.KLeen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMr.KLeen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMr.KLeen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMr.KLeen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMr.KLeen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMr.KLeen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMr.KLeen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMr.KLeen is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
needs updating? see thats what scares me, i just got my tp2 to where m$ should have and im not going through 2yrs of upgrades to get to where i am now. guess the bottom line for sprint guys is we got 30day return deal.
haha, by updating i ment by like the abilty to multi task for real and other nice features like find a contact by dial pad. just more features, but that doesnt bother me much.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:06 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha
Pocket PC: iPhone 5... Y Que?
Carrier: Esprin'

AZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Everyone has their own definition of "upgrade".
What about multi touch?
Capacitive screen?
2x the processing speed of my Tp2?
zune software? (Music players on my TP2 are frustrating at best)
FM radio?(I know... Some GSM devices already have it... I don't)
Xbox interaction?
Pandora? (The real version with quality sound/looks not the crap I'm running now)
Netflix?
I heart radio?

And I'm sure I'm missing many others... But I hate having a phone that gets no love from app makers... You always hear the commercials about how an app is available for iphone and android or iphone and blackberry or some other combination that omits winmo.
To me... Just the things I mentioned above are upgrades... MS has promised copy/paste The contacts list should also be fixed and the Outlook interface too... But I'm sure they have some sync tool for hotmail and the cloud based outlook which I use with my TP2 as it takes advantage of exchange. You see... I don't really mod my phones... I still have the stock ROM... I like customizing the main screen with cabs. And I'm sure with time... I'll have some options. I just want a phone that works and that gives me alot of options and that interacts with the software/devices I use. MS office, exchange, facebook, tweeter, you follow...
Customization is on the list... Just not a priority.

I tether... Just not that much... I have a 16gb card in my phone... It's filled with crap I never even use. And still not full. The cloud offers up some good storage options.

The 7 pro is but the first offering from Spirnt... I'm sure they'll offer up a keyboardless phone too, they've got to (not sure what this rumored LG phone looks like). But only time will tell.

And thats why I want a WP7

p.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:04 AM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTECHKA View Post
What about multi touch?
Capacitive screen?
Xbox interaction?
Pandora? (The real version with quality sound/looks not the crap I'm running now)
Netflix?
I heart radio?

And I'm sure I'm missing many others... But I hate having a phone that gets no love from app makers... You always hear the commercials about how an app is available for iphone and android or iphone and blackberry or some other combination that omits winmo.
To me... Just the things I mentioned above are upgrades... MS has promised copy/paste The contacts list should also be fixed and the Outlook interface too... But I'm sure they have some sync tool for hotmail and the cloud based outlook which I use with my TP2 as it takes advantage of exchange. You see... I don't really mod my phones... I still have the stock ROM... I like customizing the main screen with cabs. And I'm sure with time... I'll have some options. I just want a phone that works and that gives me alot of options and that interacts with the software/devices I use. MS office, exchange, facebook, tweeter, you follow...

I tether... Just not that much... I have a 16gb card in my phone... It's filled with crap I never even use. And still not full. The cloud offers up some good storage options.

The 7 pro is but the first offering from Spirnt... I'm sure they'll offer up a keyboardless phone too, they've got to (not sure what this rumored LG phone looks like). But only time will tell.

p.
exactly my point, if the only "new" deice your rockling is a tp2 then hell yes sprints wp7 is a nice upgrade but (heres my case) if your on a epic/evo then the first sprint wp7 phone is like going backwards. no dought i will in time have a wp7 device soon as sprint gets something other than pro7 and meets specs im on now. (epic) thanx az

Last edited by darren.wlsn1; 11-25-2010 at 06:21 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:57 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Apache
Threadstarter

dprout69 is just getting started

Quote:
exactly my point, if the only "new" deice your rocling is a tp2 then hell yes sprints wp7 is a nice upgrade but (heres my case) if your on a epic/evo then the first sprint wp7 phone is like going backwards. no dought i will in time have a wp7 device soon as sprint gets something other than pro7 and meets specs im on now. (epic) thanx az
and my point as well... WP7 is NOTHING right now. It's a nice looking interface and fluid - Great. It's copied apple and andriod... grrrrreat (boooo). But did anyone ask to have everything synced online... all docs stored online... I cant even sync to my local outlook are you serious? Cant add files to my phone that arent approved extensions... whaaaat? I dont want my stuff broadcast all over for the world to hack into (not naive to think they cant hack me, but certainly broadcasting it and storing it in one place as opposed to safe in my own home and disconnected from the internet is better??? - anti logic). It seems that MS spent more time trying to keep us out of there business (no, no, no, no, no) and more time trying to get into our business (everything is synced and linked publicly), then they did actually presenting a product that consumers are going to fall in love with and does what their core wanted and still brought in new consumers. A simple setting to make the interface either simplistic or advanced... thats all they had to do and they would have had the best of both worlds. They are not gonna lure anyone over from apple and android when they are just offering the same thing the apple and android users already have... they are not gonna lure in the core winmo users that have stood by them the last decade when all they offer are restrictions... so really who is their target market? I see it as a fail... who wants WP7? All I can say is hopefully they drop a bombshell when they release their first upgrade cuz if all the update consists of is that "you can copy and paste now..." color me still disappointed. I hope they fatten up the system by leaps and bounds
Old 11-24-2010, 11:01 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Apache
Threadstarter

dprout69 is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTECHKA View Post
What about multi touch?
Capacitive screen?
Xbox interaction?
Netflix?
I heart radio?

p.
Good positives... but correct me if Im wrong... all of which are hardware related upgrades (which could have been added with any new phone release) or could have been addressed by creation of an app?
Old 11-24-2010, 12:09 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio
Carrier: Verizon

braindoc is keeping up the good workbraindoc is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by dprout69 View Post
Good positives... but correct me if Im wrong... all of which are hardware related upgrades (which could have been added with any new phone release) or could have been addressed by creation of an app?
I don't think so. I haven't tried a WP7 device yet but from reviews and impressions I've read, everyone comments on how quick and intuitive the UI is. This is the major reason why MS developed WP7. It was not an easy decision by MS to develop a completely new software, I'm sure everyone here remembers the leaked information of what Windows Mobile 7 was going to look like, so clearly MS was working towards trying to fix what was wrong with 6.X. It's also clear that the software engineers realized that the old windows mobile software kernel was incapable of running a modern touchscreen phone with quickness and stability and they had no choice but to start over. As a business decision, this made sense too. The windows mobile market share was small and shrinking rapidly, so why not develop a new system that has much more in common with the #1 smartphone, the iphone. Consumers prefer the iphone because its simple and it works. Developers like writing applications for the iphone because its standardized and they only have to write for one device, not dozens of devices, each with different screen sizes, processing power, resolutions, etc... as with windows mobile. I agree with AZTECHKA that a major advantage will be the availability of apps, WHICH WILL ALL WORK. Another advantage is that MS will be compelled to push out updates in order to catch up/keep up with Apple and Android - and because the devices are standardized and MS isn't allowing the carriers to muck up the software, the software updates will be provided my MS not the carrier.

Let's not forget that the reason why we modify our windows mobile phones so much is to make them easier to use and get them to do the things we want them to do. If the stock windows mobile platform were good, we wouldn't need to modify it as much as we do. Yes, I will miss the ability to change the UI and make my phone more personalized but I will gladly give that up to have a phone that is stable, fast, and just works (besides, I'll bet that the windows mobile moders will figure out how to crack WP7 and allow you to customize your phone and run old apps within a year).
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions