PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2010, 02:49 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

jerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: WHY does anyone want WP7?

Well, just checking in on this discussion again. The two pieces of rumor I have heard lately are that Paul Thurott of Windows Weekly says that MS has to cave in on the no-sync with Outlook game stopper. Second sales are very poor.

Windows Phone Crushed By Android -- InformationWeek

So, why sign up if eventually they just pull the plug on this one like the Kin.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:04 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Apache
Threadstarter

dprout69 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryyyyy View Post
Well, just checking in on this discussion again. The two pieces of rumor I have heard lately are that Paul Thurott of Windows Weekly says that MS has to cave in on the no-sync with Outlook game stopper. Second sales are very poor.

Windows Phone Crushed By Android -- InformationWeek

So, why sign up if eventually they just pull the plug on this one like the Kin.
No Shock... they are not gonna lure apple and android users by coming out of the gate offering less than the competition. However, there is news of a 'MASSIVE' update in January on ppcgeeks front page... It better truly be massive cuz this will be the deal maker/breaker. IMHO, if they fail to deliver on this update, then it may just be KIN-worthy and M$'s last hoorah in the mobile market.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:09 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Apache
Threadstarter

dprout69 is just getting started

Good News!!!!! Funny thing... I started this thread the day after my apache died... and I mean deader than dead. Talk about a die hard phone... I spent a couple of days on it and brought this sweet piece of technology back from the dead! I can now afford to wait and see where WP7 goes without the pressure... lol!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:19 PM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead
Carrier: T-Mobile

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrfitchett4 View Post
You can sideload all the crappy unverified apps you want on your phone. I want apps that can actually pass the microsoft marketplace tests. Official apps will not be able to be sideloaded due to the security in place and you can only sideload 5-10 apps anyways since all this "unlock" did is turn your phone into a developers phone...

First you have to get the epic, then you have to find the lag fix for it (does the epic even have the lag fix???), but first you have to root it.....
very good points, but the sideloading of apps has more upswing than just apps that "couldn't make the cut" in the marketplace.

I'm talking about UI changes, new settings, new toggles, emulators, etc...

Cydia doesn't have any "apps" like the ones in app store per se (well maybe one or two), it has baseband carrier unlocking, settings, themes, springboard changers, emulators, etc...

sideloading wouldn't be for those kind of apps, it would be for modding purposes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
Why is the Vibrant better then the Epic again?

just my opinion,

the epic feels/looks cheaper to me, I hate that hw keyboard, it makes the phone too big and harder to fit a case on. I also have been seeing more kernel mods and stuff on the vibrant, although I think there's been some good development on the epic too.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:19 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy Note
Carrier: ATT

NIKKG is becoming a PPCGeeks regularNIKKG is becoming a PPCGeeks regularNIKKG is becoming a PPCGeeks regularNIKKG is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I think the first few versions of Windows Phone 7 will suck and is not worth buying, but knowing M$, they won't give up easily and in a couple of years it'll be just as competitive as iOS and Android. Android is almost up to par with iOS in a very short time, so I don't see why M$ wouldn't catch up either.

For the time being, its not a smart choice to get a WP7 phone when the competition is so much better.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:29 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrfitchett4 View Post
1. How come I'm checking twitter and listening to zune pass in the background right now?
I don't want multitasking for everything. I want smart multitasking with proper save state added.
They allow only multitasking of their own apps..not 3rd part apps..so you cant use a 3rd party radio service and 3rd party twitter client at same time...

Quote:
considering the minimum phone requirements and the rules microsoft has laid out, I don't think apps working across all devices will be a problem. Reason apps don't work across android is lack of minimum specs on the phones.
as far as android phones running smooth, you have to root and add a lagfix to make the vibrant smooth. That's about as top end an android phone as is out there right now.
The minimum is there..but once you get apps that can utilize say dual cores...with heavy 3d, front facing cameras or etc..the previous phones will always end up being left out...thats how it works for Android, thats how it works on iphones and thats how it will work on WP7...

Also as I stated..the reason the phone lags is samsung use their own crappy RFS partition...they are optimizing it and my guess by Froyo it won't be an issue..

Quote:
do you really think that your home computer connected to the internet is more secure than microsoft servers???
My home computer is safer then M$ servers..for the following reasons:

1) My computer is only accessible by me

2) My computer is less likely to be targeted

So while M$ servers may have more protection..my home PC would still be safer statistically speaking..lol

Quote:
First you have to get the epic, then you have to find the lag fix for it (does the epic even have the lag fix???), but first you have to root it.....
I will answer your quote with your own quote lol:

Quote:
That's not the forum way. you are supposed to bash the phone based on never having used it because everyone else is.
Here is why, Epic is easy to get, it has no need for a lagfix because while it still has RFS it has faster nand and also the most important part that causes the lag is not in the RFS..aka EPIC is the best Stock android device on the market...it doesn't lag and very smooth..try one...

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 11-30-2010, 07:48 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

jerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dprout69 View Post
Good News!!!!! Funny thing... I started this thread the day after my apache died... and I mean deader than dead. Talk about a die hard phone... I spent a couple of days on it and brought this sweet piece of technology back from the dead! I can now afford to wait and see where WP7 goes without the pressure... lol!
I have mine on life support too. I hope to keep it alive for a few years until this market sorts out. I wonder what Windows Phone 7s will be going for on eBay soon... I was thinking of trying the Android system out by buying a cheap phone on eBay then activating it on Sprint. Could always go back.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:21 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryyyyy View Post
I have mine on life support too. I hope to keep it alive for a few years until this market sorts out. I wonder what Windows Phone 7s will be going for on eBay soon... I was thinking of trying the Android system out by buying a cheap phone on eBay then activating it on Sprint. Could always go back.
Why not just load up Android on your TP2? it will give you a general look at Android..but to really see it for what it is you gotta try a high end device.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:39 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

tj.iscool is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartj.iscool is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartj.iscool is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
At this point..from what I'm seeing 90% of the people get it cause its made by M$...>.> lol
same could be said about people who buy anything Apple creates
Old 12-01-2010, 09:53 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: OnePlus 8 5G
Carrier: T-Mobile

demonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

This is progress. When people moved to the automobile from horses, there was an adjustment period. The same holds true for wp7. We need to see how this new technology pans out.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions