PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2010, 04:04 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia
Carrier: Verizon

aximtreo is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: WHY does anyone want WP7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dprout69 View Post
So as I continue to do research on this phenomenon, and Ive read the comparisons of this vs. that... one question I have that I have not seen asked is... Why does anyone want WP7? I've had my tweaked out apache ppc6700 running WM5 for 5 years now. It finally died and it was a sad day, however with the old must come the new... Android, Apple no thanks for many personal reasons, but lo and behold here comes WP7 and I find out that for all practical purposes... it seems they are just copying apple and android

No multitasking
No Outlook sync
No Hot swap SD card support
No cut and paste
No File System Access
No real customizations
No backwards compatibility
No Tethering
H*ll the first one Ive seen for sprint doesnt even have dual cameras
No No No No NO is all they are giving...

So I mean seriously... WHY does anyone want WP7? Is there something good about it that I am missing and IM not talking about the hardware because they could have included that in any phone... WTF am I missing? What's the good?

I you love WM so much, why don't you buy my Omnia II and you can use it another 5 years. If interested, PM me.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:09 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha
Pocket PC: iPhone 5... Y Que?
Carrier: Esprin'

AZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoove21 View Post
I agree about the os being in its infancy however it had to be done. It wouldn't have mattered if they simply made windows mobile pretty and a little faster. The perception of the os wouldn't have let it succeed. Brand is everything in the world of business. If the perception of a particular product is negative then its more than likely not going to succeed. Word of mouth is what can make or break companies. The last thing they want is people talking about what windows 'mobile' can't do regardless of whether they fixed all it's issues or not. Therefore they changed the name and os and start fresh.
They changed the name SOMEWHAT!!!
It's still WINDOWS... Windows Phone 7.
And they did so due to what you mention in the first part of your statement.
Brand is EVERYTHING.
They could have easily called it the Zune phone and everything would be different and all. But Windows was important and the name remains.
p.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Apache
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

dprout69 is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by aximtreo View Post
I you love WM so much, why don't you buy my Omnia II and you can use it another 5 years. If interested, PM me.

No sales pitches please... lol

I can still actually buy a TP2 from Sprint any way!
Old 11-22-2010, 04:20 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangekid View Post
Let's see some reasons why it's better than Android

1) More efficient OS = faster and less lag
Yeah but you can claim same thing about a dumphone OS..until we see the OS run something and truly multitask...also depends on which android phone you use..some are fairly smooth...

Quote:
2) Easier to write apps for and all apps work for all phones unlike Android
well Android has been out longer..once wp7 2.0 comes out im sure some apps wont work with 1.0...

Quote:
3) More user friendly for some and an easier learning curve
If I look at TouchWiz UI on android its fairly straight forward for all the basic things...

So it varies...but overall its obvious M$ dont care about us anmore and is after the general consumer...

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 11-22-2010, 04:28 PM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Wirelessly posted (PPCGEEKS Fire Dept.: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

but didn't everyone complain about ms before? well, they listened and started from scratch. am I the only one that sees this lol, the iphone is popular because it's easy to use and works out the box....ms did the same. I talked bad about it until I used it...they're off to a good start.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:34 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha

AZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation level

Not to mention... 6.5.3 is still going to be supported and there is also Windows embeded... The only reason we don't hear much about it is that they are pushing their money maker.
I can't blame them and I can't wait to get my hands on WP7.
p.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:41 PM
Account Disabled

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Wirelessly posted (PPCGEEKS Fire Dept.: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

I might wait...6.5 is working for me right now, at least until wp7 gets good and running...but I will give it a shot before I take someone elses word lol.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:21 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Apache
Threadstarter

dprout69 is just getting started

I threw on some holy water and walked into AT&T yesterday just so I could take a look at this new OS... beautiful... yes, fluid... yes... any different than other phone on the market today including non smart phones... no. Just a different way of presenting the basic data. Absolutely nothing impressive because all it was... was a phone, mp3 player, pic viewer and text messager... it didnt feel like windows, didnt look like windows, didnt act like windows... and will some of the speed slow down after apps are installed yup... is it buggy straight outta the box... yup. I think the gTen was right... if you look at it for what it is... right now, ppl are buying it bc its Microsoft... not bc of anything it can do better than anyone else because it doesnt DO a single thing right now. Defintely has potential... but it took at least 5 years before to get ce to wm5 and at least another 3 to get to 6.5. I accept the fact that MS abandoned us. Them starting over... to me, just seems like same ol MS. I guess the subject of my post has been answered. Buy WP7 now and get basic phone tools with zero apps available and more of an inconvenience to accomplish simple tasks... or get a Touch Pro 2 and just use it til they actual have a functioning, integrated piece of software. Cant even pull up your contacts from your phone app... wow!

Last edited by dprout69; 11-23-2010 at 08:49 AM.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:29 PM
Account Disabled

i felt like you the 1st day i used wp7...didn't like it and posted as such. then i used it again, it's functional. considering it's brand new, it's gonna be missing some things (so did the iphone, 4 versions..so did andriod with 1.5, 1.6, 2.1, 2.2, etc.). all i'm saying is give it time, i think by the time it reaches the states, it's gonna be more than what it is now.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:34 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.8820 View Post

I might wait...6.5 is working for me right now, at least until wp7 gets good and running...but I will give it a shot before I take someone elses word lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dprout69 View Post
I threw on some holy water and walked into AT&T yesterday just so I could take a look at this new OS... beautiful... yes, fluid... yes... any different than other phone on the market today including non smart phones... no. Just a different way of presenting the basic data. Absolutely nothing impressive because all it was... was a phone, mp3 player, pic viewer and text messager... it didnt feel like windows, didnt look like windows, didnt act like windows... and will some of the speed slow down after apps are installed yup... is it buggy straight outta the box... yup. I think the first replier was right... if you look at it for what it is... right now, ppl are buying it bc its Microsoft... not bc of anything it can do better than anyone else because it doesnt DO a single thing right now. Defintely has potential... but it took at least 5 years before to get ce to wm5 and at least another 3 to get to 6.5. I accept the fact that MS abandoned us. Them starting over... to me, just seems like same ol MS. I guess the subject of my post has been answered. Buy WP7 now and get basic phone tools with zero apps available and more of an inconvenience to accomplish simple tasks... or get a Touch Pro 2 and just use it til they actual have a functioning, integrated piece of software. Cant even pull up your contacts from your phone app... wow!

You see DP... You are not alone... 6.5 works fine for alot of us.
Microsoft has never cared about us... They haven't abandoned us. All they care about is their bottom line.. . And if you think any other OS cares about you... You're wrong.
If you are not in their target audience... Or if you don't like it... Then it's not for you.
Everyone has a choice... Hell... We have MANY choices... It's like asking why guys prefer redheads... Or blondes or brunettes or oriental girls or european girls... It really doesn't matter why... We just do. Hell some guys preffer guys. I can't begin to imagine WHY... But they do... And good for THEM!. We all get to choose what we like and that's the beauty... There are phones and plans that fit almost everyone. Get the phone you like and others will get theirs.
I think it's that easy. And I'm glad it is.
p.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions