PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2009, 01:39 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Mogul and Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

crazychef is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcrazychef is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcrazychef is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to crazychef Send a message via Skype™ to crazychef
Re: Warez Vs. Tethering

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkjedi007 View Post
Theft of service /= Warez

Warez is specifically regarding copyrights and copyright infringement. While tethering and not paying for it is stealing, it's not warez, but called theft of service. You wouldn't call stealing cable from your neighbor "warez" would you?
ah but having a black box would be... how is wmwifi router not a "black box" to our ICS connection.. you could be paying for cable, yet only usuing the black box to obtain the premium services you should have to pay for.. were paying for data, but usuing something else to get the full feature
"Lose?..I Dont Lose!.....I Win.....I Win.....Im a Lawyer, Thats My Job and Thats What I Do" -Keanu Reeves "Devils Advocate"
Old 02-23-2009, 01:40 PM
Jedi Master
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

Darkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazychef View Post
no its more like they dont care if you use their house to sell the crack out of..
wow bad analogies all around. Talking about regedits is not illegal. PPCGeeks isn't taking a moral position on whether or not talking about it is wrong or right. They are only taking a legal position regarding the DMCA so they aren't liable for future lawsuits. All this talk of whether PPCGeeks cares about whether or not this should be on their website is irrelevant if its not illegal to talk about and PPCGeeks doesn't care if it happens. Prohibiting warez is a decision made from a legal standpoint, not an ethical one on PPCGeeks behalf.

Quote:
ah but having a black box would be... how is wmwifi router not a "black box" to our ICS connection.. you could be paying for cable, yet only usuing the black box to obtain the premium services you should have to pay for.. were paying for data, but usuing something else to get the full feature
i never argued the legality of tethering, but distribution of schematics of how to create black boxes is not illegal. Distributing software to enable so called "black-box" behavior is not illegal unless it circumvents copyright protections. And even then it is questionable as to how rigidly that is applied and enforceable as shown in the AACS key controversy. Using it to steal otherwise paid for services however is a different story. And owning a blackbox isn't called "warez", hardware and software are covered under very different laws.

Last edited by Darkjedi; 02-23-2009 at 01:51 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:41 PM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr8820 View Post
dark‚ are you saying that you can tether without a hack? but i don't wanna go back and forth. just call sprint and see what they say. why do you think sprint put a cap on internet use? because people are stealing something that they should be paying for!
Epic Fail #2

There is no cap on phone data. There is a 5gb cap on data card service.

You would think they would cap phone usage, not data card usage if it was due to people stealing.

Yeah. Anyway, we've already answered this question about 57 times. But as is the fine tradition of the internet, if you don't like the answer, just ignore it!
Old 02-23-2009, 01:44 PM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Is PPCGeeks Selling WmWifiRouter? Can you download it from ppcgeeks?

What is your problem man? You want to go on a crusade against illegal tethering, fine, go for it. I still don't get what the point of this topic is.

You want some other people to get banned? Just say so. You think you were unfairly banned? Just say so.

This topic is useless except for humor value.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:46 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: sprint

snowplow54 is keeping up the good worksnowplow54 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to snowplow54

Quote:
no its more like they dont care if you use their house to sell the crack out of..
how so? you chose to completely ignore the first half of the post. there are 2 parties involved when violating your TOS; you and your carrier, if they do not enforce it then it is irrelevant in the eyes of the law. If i'm hanging out in a bar and talking about how I abuse her, and someone in the seat next to me tells me how to do this in a different way, this person is not liable for what I do. this was the abusive relationship analogy. the crack analogy involved warez, in which ppcgeeks has decided they wanted no part in.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:47 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

crazychef is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcrazychef is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcrazychef is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by schettj View Post
Epic Fail

I give up. The pigs just won't fly.
nice man, super classy,this is excatly what i recieved my infraction for.. you offer nothing but insults.. but im an pri*k as well, so im gonna sink to your level to here for a minute as well... wheres the relevance, wheres the point... and i doggin you out like this because you dont agree with me , NO

so if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem.. so dont respond man.. grow up... are we kids? im not.. im 29.. ans stealing from my cell phone carrier and im man enough to admit it.. im not hiding behind definitions, rights or no rights, hacks vs cracks, i know dam well what im doing is wrong.. and u all do to.. whatever, sit down to pee some more little girl, just beacuse i dont see eye to eye on your anti argument.. republicans dont agree with democrates, does that make them any less of a politician... im still your "site mate" if you will and i derserve to be treated with the same respect as anyone on here as far as personal attacks go.. so get off it guys, seriously..

now that ive just completely invalidated any logical or educated argument i put worth by sinking to your level... im stepping back from this for a few..
Old 02-23-2009, 01:50 PM
Coz-erator
Pocket PC: Sprint Galaxy Note 2 & other misc digital devices

CozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via MSN to CozBoogie Send a message via Yahoo to CozBoogie

Let me jump in here boys and girls...

First off...I'd like to remind everyone that we do have a zero tolerance against warez. What that means is that if we find "it" that we'll remove "it."

Now...the real problem (as evidenced by this thread) is that the definition of "it" is always changing.

PPCGeeks doesn't have a problem with the discussion of warez and what it entails. We do however try to ensure that we don't host warez here. Notice that I used the word "try".

With over 54,000 threads, 708,000 posts, and 217,000 members, it's very hard to ensure that this site is 100% clean of warez. That's why we rely on our members to help spot it and bring it to our attention. We also rely on outside sources (e.g., Microsoft, Shazam, etc.), to bring other issues to our attention. If a take-down request is made we will comply 100%.

Let me just point out that there has never been a request made to stop having discussions about warez from the staff or from outside parties.

Let me also point out that to the best of my knowledge there has never been a request to take-down discussions regarding tethering. If such a request is made then we'll deal with it then.

The bottom line is this site is always in a constant state of flux...the definition of warez is always changing...we, the staff and members, need to always be aware of what's going on. Things will always change and that change may result in certain discussions be removed.

PPCGeeks staff does not concern ourselves with what is exchanged via private messaging. That is between the individual parties.

The only request I want to make to the members of this thread specifically is to be respectful and polite to everyone. Because more members have been banned for being rude than for discussing or offering warez.

late,
Coz

Last edited by CozBoogie; 02-23-2009 at 01:56 PM.
This post has been thanked 4 times.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:54 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowplow54 View Post
how so? you chose to completely ignore the first half of the post. there are 2 parties involved when violating your TOS; you and your carrier, if they do not enforce it then it is irrelevant in the eyes of the law. If i'm hanging out in a bar and talking about how I abuse her, and someone in the seat next to me tells me how to do this in a different way, this person is not liable for what I do. this was the abusive relationship analogy. the crack analogy involved warez, in which ppcgeeks has decided they wanted no part in.
BS... ive i give u the insturctions to make homeade napalm and u go and blow some stuff up, i am beyond liable, just like you... why cant you buy the Anachists Handbook or Cookbook Legally anywhere in this country anymore.. its nothing but a collection of a call of anti government, some stories about taking odd drugs, and in the cookbook, how to make bombs and such.. but they didnt go buy the materials to make the things, you did... guess what, they were liable for anything someone did out of that cook book.. their the source of info.. is it legal for websites to offer marijuana growing tips, its not, just beacuse you find a ton online, doesnt mean a ton arent shut down everyday..

if i insturct you on how to go kill your wife, and the methods to do it.. and u co do it, like that.. im a conspirator and accountable under law just as you

****didnt see your post coz, im reading it now..
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S Captivate, Samsung Galaxy Tab
Carrier: Rogers

wraith79 is keeping up the good workwraith79 is keeping up the good work
Angry Re: Warez Vs. Tethering

Quote made by Crazychef: "ah but having a black box would be... how is wmwifi router not a "black box" to our ICS connection.. you could be paying for cable, yet only usuing the black box to obtain the premium services you should have to pay for.. were paying for data, but usuing something else to get the full feature"

What about the thousands of dollars that these big corp. companies steal from us?????? Do you think that is right? Charging us hundreds of dollars for a phone that cost no more than 100$ to make!Look, tethering is a great feature to have, but, fooling the TCP protocol is their own fault for not making it more secure. With some of the software we have out there, they would have no issue in preventing Ghost Tethering (trust me, I'm a software developer) But, they chose not to, because, their monetary gain with rest of the plans and clients makes up for it!

Using your laptop with your tethered phone pulls the same amount of data, as you desktop pc, especially with some of the mobile browsers these day, ie; Opera, Skyfire and the up and coming Fennec (Mozilla Mobile) These allow for full page viewing of sites on your device, the same as your desktop!

I do see some merit in your discussion, but, I also see flaws in it as well! If you can show us, where in the carrier contracts that it is ILLEGAL to tether, plz, show us!

If not, take your weak a$$ shyte elsewhere! 'cause we sure as hell don't want to hear it!

Last edited by wraith79; 02-23-2009 at 02:03 PM.
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

BurgsideTiger is keeping up the good workBurgsideTiger is keeping up the good work

i also said that u should run for president. thats a compliment. i have nothing against peoples opinions. i know there are alot of people who feel that this is stealing.....and what do u think sprint was gonna tell u (talking to the one who "called" them) did u think they would be like.....well we dont really like that u are using it that way, but ohh well.

they wanna try and scare you, and calling it stealing, sounds intimidating (to me at least). i am just gonna watch my web usage, but ill keep using it this way. i believe that i am just getting my $ worth from both my phone, and my cell phone plan.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions