PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro > CDMA TP Development
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2009, 10:05 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

drnull is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: [April 25th, 2009] (((((MightyROM5))))) Windows Phone® 21501 Build 21501

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilRico View Post
Think about it... 83.5MB was MightyMikes 4.16 ROM.. Before I got shut down, it was downloaded 5,744 times... So to calculate that bandwidth that's 83.5 x 5,744= 479,624 gigs of bandwidth on 1 ROM!
I know, terrible first post just to say that you had an order of magnitude problem there... That's 479,624 MEGS of bandwidth.

So, I'll say something more useful. I know that one of the reasons you guys are against unmanaged mirrors is that it's hard to keep track of downloads. I've seen mention of torrents, but no real discussion of them. If you posted the .torrent file, it would be a small download that could be hosted anywhere, and you could keep track of the number of people who download that .torrent file. Then, the actual bandwidth could be served by the swarm of us all downloading, and the torrent could do what it is designed to do, handle heavy traffic by spreading the dissemination out over the swarm.

You guys could still use a relatively lightweight hosting service for transferring the roms back and forth to each other, but we would never need to see that. You would both just start the seeding when you were ready to release, and we would all be good members of the community and keep our µTorrent clients up and running after we got our goods.

Sorry if it's been discussed/dismissed before, but it seems like the most sensible option, unless there's a very obvious objection I'm missing.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:08 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

ItsDon is becoming a PPCGeeks regularItsDon is becoming a PPCGeeks regularItsDon is becoming a PPCGeeks regularItsDon is becoming a PPCGeeks regularItsDon is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshaas2 View Post
Gosh, i hope we don't get into this discussion again. Last time it came up, Mike said he was sticking with S2A. I understand the argument with 6.5lock and S2A. I don't use the lock, but again i respect the problems some are having with both.

but from my side, i like s2a.
We're not asking Mike to bail on S2A, he and far too many other folks (like you!) like it. I think we're just looking for an on/off switch for it. Don't know if it's possible though.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:13 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Galaxy S4 - CM11
Carrier: Verizon

arelas is halfway to VIP status based on reparelas is halfway to VIP status based on reparelas is halfway to VIP status based on reparelas is halfway to VIP status based on reparelas is halfway to VIP status based on reparelas is halfway to VIP status based on reparelas is halfway to VIP status based on reparelas is halfway to VIP status based on reparelas is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I agree. A torrent for the ROM files would be great. Things like the themes could still be hosted on a server, and probably wouldn't consume enough bandwidth to get you kicked off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drnull View Post
I know, terrible first post just to say that you had an order of magnitude problem there... That's 479,624 MEGS of bandwidth.

So, I'll say something more useful. I know that one of the reasons you guys are against unmanaged mirrors is that it's hard to keep track of downloads. I've seen mention of torrents, but no real discussion of them. If you posted the .torrent file, it would be a small download that could be hosted anywhere, and you could keep track of the number of people who download that .torrent file. Then, the actual bandwidth could be served by the swarm of us all downloading, and the torrent could do what it is designed to do, handle heavy traffic by spreading the dissemination out over the swarm.

You guys could still use a relatively lightweight hosting service for transferring the roms back and forth to each other, but we would never need to see that. You would both just start the seeding when you were ready to release, and we would all be good members of the community and keep our µTorrent clients up and running after we got our goods.

Sorry if it's been discussed/dismissed before, but it seems like the most sensible option, unless there's a very obvious objection I'm missing.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:15 AM
CyanogenMod
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S IV
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

LilRico can't get a higher reputation levelLilRico can't get a higher reputation levelLilRico can't get a higher reputation levelLilRico can't get a higher reputation levelLilRico can't get a higher reputation levelLilRico can't get a higher reputation levelLilRico can't get a higher reputation levelLilRico can't get a higher reputation levelLilRico can't get a higher reputation levelLilRico can't get a higher reputation levelLilRico can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via AIM to LilRico Send a message via MSN to LilRico

Quote:
Originally Posted by drnull View Post

Yeah, but the thing about torrenting is that you need seeders... And after a ROM is old, how many people willing to seed the file, plus speed. It could take hours to download a ROM. Also you get the point in my math. it's still 479.62 give or take gigs.... same difference... lol..
Old 04-30-2009, 10:19 AM
Regular 'Geeker

arelas is halfway to VIP status based on reparelas is halfway to VIP status based on reparelas is halfway to VIP status based on reparelas is halfway to VIP status based on reparelas is halfway to VIP status based on reparelas is halfway to VIP status based on reparelas is halfway to VIP status based on reparelas is halfway to VIP status based on reparelas is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I agree that after a point the torrent would lose seeds. Maybe a torrent could be used just as another option to soften the blow of a new release?

Quote:
Yeah, but the thing about torrenting is that you need seeders... And after a ROM is old, how many people willing to seed the file, plus speed. It could take hours to download a ROM. Also you get the point in my math. it's still 479.62 give or take gigs.... same difference... lol..
Old 04-30-2009, 10:21 AM
The PPCG CR Guy!
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

Laos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Laos101

*Waves*

Not a Lurker anymore *Points to tag* I'm a regular!

Anyways, Lord is alone on this issue. we traded MMS and with my MR5 + Arcsoft MMS, I have full compatibility with my audio. No audio loss etc.

Just me though :P I usually have my device on vibrate due to school anyways
Old 04-30-2009, 10:21 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

drnull is a n00b

Quote:
No, it was off by 3 orders of magnitude. Unless you meant for the comma to be a British decimal. But I agree, yes, it's tons of bandwidth in the first day after a release.

So how about a compromise between the two? The current release is a torrent, old releases are hosted? Seems like that would take care of the speed problem for old releases, and if we could just all agree to continue seeding the current release while its current, it would be fast as well.

You need seeders for the torrent, but the number of seeders grows exponentially during times of heavy demand. That's the nature of torrents. If lots of people are trying to get the file, then lots of people have pieces of the file.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:23 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

jdawg0024 is just getting started

Cant wait for the May 09 release, Looks like Mighty hasnt gotten any sleep in the past couple of weeks, but I want to Thank him for all of his hard work.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:29 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

sheltem is a n00b

Quote:
I wonder if there's a solution like Blizzard's hybrid downloader available to the public? Blizzard uses bittorrent, but one of the "seeders" is their http server.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:30 AM
Regular 'Geeker

That could easily be accomplished with shell access to a server.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheltem View Post
I wonder if there's a solution like Blizzard's hybrid downloader available to the public? Blizzard uses bittorrent, but one of the "seeders" is their http server.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro > CDMA TP Development