PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro > CDMA TP Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2010, 12:08 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon

jimbo333 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: ROM 3-9-10 Twisted Goodsense LANDSCAPE!! Sense 2.5 build 21876

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisteddan View Post
Please continue to test this further at that pagepool. If it continues to show that available RAM on idle I would like to post that information on the front page. It would be nice for Verizon TP users to be able to flash a full ROM rather than a chopped one.

Please report back....
The phone ran perfectly stable for three days now, no reboots. I set everything up (2 email accounts, Voice, Weather, Stocks, Facebook, etc), as much as I could to test the memory usage during this time. After three days of usage, at idle the phone had 12MB of RAM free, still enough to do what I want (it doesn't appear to be leaking as it stops at 12MB, just Sense/Windows must be caching a lot, probably up to a limit). I reboot the phone for the first time (not really needed, I was just testing memory usage), and it was back up to 32MB after a reboot. Some users might not be happy with this setup, it does limit how many applications you can have open at once, but it is very usable, better than even most 'lite' roms out there now.

Some tricks that seem to work well at saving the memory. Disable the Sense tabs you don't use or can live without, some of them take up a lot of memory, and once they use it, they don't seem to give it back. Here is my quick list of how much memory can be saved with each tab (not exact, some runs produced different results, these are the best averages I could get):
  • Calendar 2.2MB
  • Messages 0.2MB
  • Mail: 0.2MB
  • Weather: 2.4MB
  • Stocks: 1.2MB
  • Internet: 0.2MB
  • Contacts: 1.1MB
  • Photos: 5.1MB
  • Music: 5.1MB
After disabling a few things on the phone I don't use anyways I am able to keep my idle memory around 22MB, which works for me. What kind of 'tricks' go into making a 'lite' rom? I have plenty of storage space, just the RAM is limiting, so I am happy with the full rom and just a few tweaks I will continue my research on limiting the RAM usage, perhaps there are some registry tweaks for caching values and whatnot that can squeeze just a little more RAM. Most Verizon TP users would (I think...) be happy if I could get 5 or so more MB sitting at idle.
This post has been thanked 4 times.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:52 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment
Carrier: SPRINT
Threadstarter

twisteddan is halfway to VIP status based on reptwisteddan is halfway to VIP status based on reptwisteddan is halfway to VIP status based on reptwisteddan is halfway to VIP status based on reptwisteddan is halfway to VIP status based on reptwisteddan is halfway to VIP status based on reptwisteddan is halfway to VIP status based on reptwisteddan is halfway to VIP status based on reptwisteddan is halfway to VIP status based on reptwisteddan is halfway to VIP status based on reptwisteddan is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo333 View Post
The phone ran perfectly stable for three days now, no reboots. I set everything up (2 email accounts, Voice, Weather, Stocks, Facebook, etc), as much as I could to test the memory usage during this time. After three days of usage, at idle the phone had 12MB of RAM free, still enough to do what I want (it doesn't appear to be leaking as it stops at 12MB, just Sense/Windows must be caching a lot, probably up to a limit). I reboot the phone for the first time (not really needed, I was just testing memory usage), and it was back up to 32MB after a reboot. Some users might not be happy with this setup, it does limit how many applications you can have open at once, but it is very usable, better than even most 'lite' roms out there now.

Some tricks that seem to work well at saving the memory. Disable the Sense tabs you don't use or can live without, some of them take up a lot of memory, and once they use it, they don't seem to give it back. Here is my quick list of how much memory can be saved with each tab (not exact, some runs produced different results, these are the best averages I could get):
  • Calendar 2.2MB
  • Messages 0.2MB
  • Mail: 0.2MB
  • Weather: 2.4MB
  • Stocks: 1.2MB
  • Internet: 0.2MB
  • Contacts: 1.1MB
  • Photos: 5.1MB
  • Music: 5.1MB
After disabling a few things on the phone I don't use anyways I am able to keep my idle memory around 22MB, which works for me. What kind of 'tricks' go into making a 'lite' rom? I have plenty of storage space, just the RAM is limiting, so I am happy with the full rom and just a few tweaks I will continue my research on limiting the RAM usage, perhaps there are some registry tweaks for caching values and whatnot that can squeeze just a little more RAM. Most Verizon TP users would (I think...) be happy if I could get 5 or so more MB sitting at idle.
Thanks for doing that. I will post a link on the first page.
As far a secrets for Cooking a Lite ROM..........I don't have any. I just trim the crap out of it and hope for the best. What is left is a really thin ROM. Just the basics.

Thanks Again.

IF YOU FEEL THE NEED TO SHOW SOME LOVE ------>
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:30 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

thespatt is a n00b
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.7 (WindowsMobile; PPC; Opera Mobi/35267; U; en; Presto/2.1.1))

Working great now, nice job. Thanks for taking the time to clean things up and I don't think I'll be switching to any different roms now. Bravo
Old 03-12-2010, 02:33 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

twisteddan is halfway to VIP status based on reptwisteddan is halfway to VIP status based on reptwisteddan is halfway to VIP status based on reptwisteddan is halfway to VIP status based on reptwisteddan is halfway to VIP status based on reptwisteddan is halfway to VIP status based on reptwisteddan is halfway to VIP status based on reptwisteddan is halfway to VIP status based on reptwisteddan is halfway to VIP status based on reptwisteddan is halfway to VIP status based on reptwisteddan is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespatt View Post
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.7 (WindowsMobile; PPC; Opera Mobi/35267; U; en; Presto/2.1.1))

Working great now, nice job. Thanks for taking the time to clean things up and I don't think I'll be switching to any different roms now. Bravo
Thanks. That is good to hear.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:01 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: bell

tb5... is keeping up the good worktb5... is keeping up the good work

Bout to jump back onto this one...

I was very happy with your older rom... Expecting big things

how it doesn't have the issues that others seem to have.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:04 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb5... View Post
Bout to jump back onto this one...

I was very happy with your older rom... Expecting big things

how it doesn't have the issues that others seem to have.
Just be sure to read the first post. There are a couple of fixes that I forgot to cook in.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:23 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: bell

tb5... is keeping up the good worktb5... is keeping up the good work

Oh fo sho...

Rom is working smoooooooth
110 free ram is always a good thing.

About to customize it
great work
Old 03-12-2010, 09:09 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

I just want to say BIG THANKS to all of the donators and everyone that has contributed. I was seriously contemplating giving it up. But, I couldn't quit even if I wanted to. Seriously you guys make me want to do this..........I never thought I would even have 20 downloads let alone 1,878 total and counting.

Twisted Newsense had 550 downloads!!!!!
Twisted Goodsense has 108 downloads and counting!!
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:08 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC TP
Carrier: Sprint

Ryan258896 is a n00b

awesome job on the Goodsense ROM! im actually using my TP with this Goodsense ROM to post this. glad to see you got rid of the Lumos cooked in also. so far i love it with no problems or bugs to report. if i wasn't so damn broke due to the crap economy i would donate............thanks again

Last edited by Ryan258896; 03-12-2010 at 11:11 PM. Reason: forgot a few things
Old 03-13-2010, 11:47 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Don't feel obligated to donate. I never expected money anyways. I only set up a donation. Because it was requested several times that I do so. I'm just glad to see people enjoying the ROM.

EDIT: On a side note..........I am currently testing a newer build 21895. Hopefully it will clear up some bugs and be and improvement. But, it has to be a decent improvement or I will not switch. (I would have to reorganize a lot.....again)

Last edited by twisteddan; 03-13-2010 at 11:52 AM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro > CDMA TP Development