PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond > CDMA Diamond Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2009, 07:29 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

siptang1227 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsiptang1227 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsiptang1227 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsiptang1227 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: [ Aug 15 ] [ 23017 \ 23028 \ 21054 ] [ v5 ] Calkulin's Kitchen & ROMs

NOw I just need to fix the youtube and alarm ....
Old 08-18-2009, 09:54 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: CDMA TP2
Carrier: telus

jregehr is a n00b

Well, I can't find a more appropriate place to post this so I'll call for help on the legions of tweakers that have been greatly helpful in the past. Also because I've always used Calkulin's ROMs in the past to extraordinary success.

My beloved Diamond has fallen off a firmware "cliff" in the last two days. Right now there is only one stable firmware for this thing and that's stock. It still works as well as it always has. Several points to make of history.

-I've had a Diamond since the beginning and have always ran custom firmware on it, starting with Juicy 1.04 waaay back when.
-I am well aware of all the firmware flashing tips. ie. flash back to stock. hard reset, then flash, etc. etc.
-I have a buddy with a brand new Diamond recently fighting similar problems.
-The last stable ROM was running Calkulin 5 7-21 WM6.5 with the standard SYS.

1. I flashed another maker of rom to try the new Rhodium manilla (I think it was Energyrom)
2. I had some stability issues with it so I tried to go back to the Calkulin rom that was out one version newer than 7-21. I started having this issue where the rom would come back up after my hard reset and run nicely it seemed for a few minutes then it would run into some lockup or infinite wait cursor at varying places the when i power cycle it it either does not get past the bootloader screen (Touch Diamond) or it comes back as another hard reset. Usually it'll lock up within a minute.

I thought it was ROM again so I cooked a light version with the same results. I figured something was goofy so I switched to MightyRom 6 which was slow but it worked. That was a week ago and now I wanted to go back to 8-15 Calkulin because your stuff works so good.

I've tried all versions of prebuilt ROM, three different SYS builds in a light kitchen build. I've tried MightyRom 4, Mightyrom 6, etc etc etc.. until I'm tired!

They are all doing almost exactly the same thing and I would believe it's hardware except the stock rom works completely stable. It's like something is not being written over when it flashes. Is there a tool to write zeros over the entire ROM except for the bootloader? I'm grasping at straws here. I've even tried a clear storage and format storage once i was on stock and then flashed, reset, etc. No change.

Have I been sentenced by the ROM gods to spend the rest of my life chained to a stock ROM?! Oh the horror! O mighty members of this forum, save me from this wretched existence!

Last edited by jregehr; 08-18-2009 at 09:57 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:18 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond

mshnayde is becoming a great contributor

Hey guys,
I was on the NRGZ ROM prior and loved the In Call Screen Tweak being active.
I installed it on Calkulin's basic ROM but can't get it to work. If anyone has it working properly would love some advice about getting it running.
Thanks.

Last edited by mshnayde; 08-19-2009 at 10:05 AM.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:19 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: EVO 4G

awesomeindeed is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jregehr View Post
Well, I can't find a more appropriate place to post this so I'll call for help on the legions of tweakers that have been greatly helpful in the past. Also because I've always used Calkulin's ROMs in the past to extraordinary success.

My beloved Diamond has fallen off a firmware "cliff" in the last two days. Right now there is only one stable firmware for this thing and that's stock. It still works as well as it always has. Several points to make of history.

-I've had a Diamond since the beginning and have always ran custom firmware on it, starting with Juicy 1.04 waaay back when.
-I am well aware of all the firmware flashing tips. ie. flash back to stock. hard reset, then flash, etc. etc.

1. I flashed another maker of rom to try the new Rhodium manilla (I think it was Energyrom)
2. I had some stability issues with it so I tried to go back to the Calkulin rom that was out one version newer than 7-21. I started having this issue where the rom would come back up after my hard reset and run nicely it seemed for a few minutes then it would run into some lockup or infinite wait cursor at varying places the when i power cycle it it either does not get past the bootloader screen (Touch Diamond) or it comes back as another hard reset. Usually it'll lock up within a minute.

I thought it was ROM again so I cooked a light version with the same results. I figured something was goofy so I switched to MightyRom 6 which was slow but it worked. That was a week ago and now I wanted to go back to 8-15 Calkulin because your stuff works so good.

I've tried all versions of prebuilt ROM, three different SYS builds in a light kitchen build. I've tried MightyRom 4, Mightyrom 6, etc etc etc.. until I'm tired!

They are all doing almost exactly the same thing and I would believe it's hardware except the stock rom works completely stable. It's like something is not being written over when it flashes. Is there a tool to write zeros over the entire ROM except for the bootloader? I'm grasping at straws here. I've even tried a clear storage and format storage once i was on stock and then flashed, reset, etc. No change.

Have I been sentenced by the ROM gods to spend the rest of my life chained to a stock ROM?! Oh the horror! O mighty members of this forum, save me from this wretched existence!

You're not alone. I am having the EXACT same problem right now. I actually just got done flashing back to stock for about the 5th time today, to see if I can try another ROM with ANY success.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:24 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond

mshnayde is becoming a great contributor

Have seen a first ported ROM of Manilla 2.5 for the Diamond. Can't wait till it's stable...))
Old 08-18-2009, 10:43 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond (Victor)
Carrier: Bell Mobility

gorestfump is a n00b
Unhappy Re: [ Aug 15 ] [ 23017 \ 23028 \ 21054 ] [ v5 ] Calkulin's Kitchen & ROMs

Quote:

I am having this issue now too! I can't understand what the hell is going on?!? For me is started when I flashed Calkulins rom from the internal storage... it froze up after a few hours - had to hard reset. Next flash back to bell then Calkulins - then all installations would fail (TomTom etc) then it froze up again and wouldn't boot. Went back to bell stock and no prob. back to Calkulins and it won't even boot. Same with Longhorns Rom. I just flashed the telus radio (had the stock bell), then went to energyrom to see if there is any improvement... Its been about 2 hours and all is working but I have no faith in my device right now. Stock worked though I never kept it on more than 15 minutes....

Old 08-19-2009, 12:51 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Diamond
Carrier: Telus

jyxent is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorestfump View Post
I am having this issue now too! I can't understand what the hell is going on?!? For me is started when I flashed Calkulins rom from the internal storage... it froze up after a few hours - had to hard reset. Next flash back to bell then Calkulins - then all installations would fail (TomTom etc) then it froze up again and wouldn't boot. Went back to bell stock and no prob. back to Calkulins and it won't even boot. Same with Longhorns Rom. I just flashed the telus radio (had the stock bell), then went to energyrom to see if there is any improvement... Its been about 2 hours and all is working but I have no faith in my device right now. Stock worked though I never kept it on more than 15 minutes....
Have you ever tried a clear storage while on the stock rom? (Settings->System->Clear Storage) I had this problem before, and flashing to stock and back wouldn't fix it. But, flashing to stock, doing a clear storage, then flashing back would work. I tend to do that every time I flash now.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:55 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: CDMA TP2
Carrier: telus

jregehr is a n00b

Quote:
Have you ever tried a clear storage while on the stock rom? (Settings->System->Clear Storage) I had this problem before, and flashing to stock and back wouldn't fix it. But, flashing to stock, doing a clear storage, then flashing back would work. I tend to do that every time I flash now.
Not only that but also tried doing a clear and format internal from stock. This is something different and new from the random quirks of rom flashing I've seen before. It seems to be a pattern and affecting all ROM flashes no matter what version and cook except for stock.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:27 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Diamond, former Touch vogue

egriffin is keeping up the good workegriffin is keeping up the good workegriffin is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Not only that but also tried doing a clear and format internal from stock. This is something different and new from the random quirks of rom flashing I've seen before. It seems to be a pattern and affecting all ROM flashes no matter what version and cook except for stock.
Be sure you flash back to "shipped" rom rather than "stock." All of us who flash often have occasional instability problems. For me, this has always been corrected after flashing back to the shipped rom. My experience with the new 6.5 roms has been mixed as far as stability is concerned. I'm currently using da_reeseboy varient of 23028 and although it runs fine, there are still a few bugs that I just accept as part of the developement process.

BTW, I'm really missing Calkulin!!
Old 08-19-2009, 07:55 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond (Victor)
Carrier: Bell Mobility

gorestfump is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by egriffin View Post
Be sure you flash back to "shipped" rom rather than "stock." All of us who flash often have occasional instability problems. For me, this has always been corrected after flashing back to the shipped rom. My experience with the new 6.5 roms has been mixed as far as stability is concerned. I'm currently using da_reeseboy varient of 23028 and although it runs fine, there are still a few bugs that I just accept as part of the developement process.

BTW, I'm really missing Calkulin!!
I should have been more detailed in my post but yes - I whenever I flash a new ROM I first flash shipped, then the new rom, then do a clear storage. I have also cleared storage while on stock while having this issue.

I have flashed just about every update from every chef on this board and have become a bit of an flashing addict along the way... I guess this is one of the few boards you can say that without setting off alarm bells haha! The very site of me playing with my phone is now repulsing my wife! lol

Anyhow - my latest flash with the energyRom is still going strong so I may take a break until a major update or my phone craps out on me again. I've lost count on how many times I flashed my phone yesterday alone!

Last edited by gorestfump; 08-19-2009 at 08:00 AM. Reason: clarity

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond > CDMA Diamond Development

Tags
calkulin, kitchen, rom