View Single Post
Old 08-18-2009, 09:54 PM
jregehr
N00b

jregehr is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: [ Aug 15 ] [ 23017 \ 23028 \ 21054 ] [ v5 ] Calkulin's Kitchen & ROMs

Well, I can't find a more appropriate place to post this so I'll call for help on the legions of tweakers that have been greatly helpful in the past. Also because I've always used Calkulin's ROMs in the past to extraordinary success.

My beloved Diamond has fallen off a firmware "cliff" in the last two days. Right now there is only one stable firmware for this thing and that's stock. It still works as well as it always has. Several points to make of history.

-I've had a Diamond since the beginning and have always ran custom firmware on it, starting with Juicy 1.04 waaay back when.
-I am well aware of all the firmware flashing tips. ie. flash back to stock. hard reset, then flash, etc. etc.
-I have a buddy with a brand new Diamond recently fighting similar problems.
-The last stable ROM was running Calkulin 5 7-21 WM6.5 with the standard SYS.

1. I flashed another maker of rom to try the new Rhodium manilla (I think it was Energyrom)
2. I had some stability issues with it so I tried to go back to the Calkulin rom that was out one version newer than 7-21. I started having this issue where the rom would come back up after my hard reset and run nicely it seemed for a few minutes then it would run into some lockup or infinite wait cursor at varying places the when i power cycle it it either does not get past the bootloader screen (Touch Diamond) or it comes back as another hard reset. Usually it'll lock up within a minute.

I thought it was ROM again so I cooked a light version with the same results. I figured something was goofy so I switched to MightyRom 6 which was slow but it worked. That was a week ago and now I wanted to go back to 8-15 Calkulin because your stuff works so good.

I've tried all versions of prebuilt ROM, three different SYS builds in a light kitchen build. I've tried MightyRom 4, Mightyrom 6, etc etc etc.. until I'm tired!

They are all doing almost exactly the same thing and I would believe it's hardware except the stock rom works completely stable. It's like something is not being written over when it flashes. Is there a tool to write zeros over the entire ROM except for the bootloader? I'm grasping at straws here. I've even tried a clear storage and format storage once i was on stock and then flashed, reset, etc. No change.

Have I been sentenced by the ROM gods to spend the rest of my life chained to a stock ROM?! Oh the horror! O mighty members of this forum, save me from this wretched existence!

Last edited by jregehr; 08-18-2009 at 09:57 PM.