PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2011, 10:38 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint

BlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Sprint forcing premium data on ALL SMARTPHONES

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick99si View Post
They may need to upgrade to SERO-P, not necessarily have to. To me it sounds like they remain undecided on the policy so they left is open/ambiguous. I say that because the rest of that length article is very detailed and provides concrete information for virtually all individual circumstances.

FWIW SERO-P also comes with things like GPS, AMAT, and more device options which is attracting a lot of SERO users as it is. So Sprint will still say that it's not a $10 "premium data fee" for SERO because it comes with all that crap above as well.
No new smartphones are compatible with the old SERO plans. So unless you are using old Windows Mobile or something like that, then you'll need to upgrade.

BTW, any new smartphone also has free GPS. I don't know why everyone always touts Sprint as including free GPS. Every smartphone sold in the last couple years has free GPS. Certainly every smartphone that requires a Sprint everything plan or an upgraded SERO plan.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:01 AM
lt cmdr of a garbage scow
Pocket PC: epic 4g
Carrier: sprint

austin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)

its not just the gps, its the sprint-nav app. its just a rebranded version of tele-nav as im sure you know, which is a paid app (9.99 a month) and in my opinion, is a better than the free alternative like google maps or bing.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:58 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2, Palm Pre, HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint "Simply Everything"

tx_dbs_tx is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartx_dbs_tx is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartx_dbs_tx is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartx_dbs_tx is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDynamite View Post
This post is full of fail. If you are going to claim you're speaking facts, then please do some fact checking before you post this nonsense.

Fact #1: Sprint also claims to throttle speed of abusers, just like T-Mobile. That is actually where T-Mobile got the idea.
Fact #2: T-Mobile's HSPA+ is faster than Sprint's Wimax.
Fact #3: T-Mobile's HSPA+ has a larger coverage area than Sprint's Wimax.
Fact #4: While T-Mobile may not have any repair techs in stores, they will certainly swap your device for another one.

We get it- you are a Sprint fanboy. But don't go spouting BS and claiming it's true just to make Sprint look better than they really are. Sprint may very well have better service than T-Mobile in your area. But your post doesn't say anything about your area, it's flat out saying Sprint is better than T-Mobile for everyone.
You can save your rude & ignorant comments for somebody who gives a rats ass. If someone is wrong about something you can point it out without sounding like your pissed off at the world. I'm not a fanboy, I use what works best for me and whoever offers the devices I want for a reasonable price. Period. Same with you and everybody else.

Fact: WiMax is much faster than HSPA+ Unless your testing with a weak WiMax signal. There's tons of test results Google it big daddy.

Fact: I have never known sprint to throttle data, especially upon reaching just 5gb.

Fact: T-Mobile's HSPA+ uses the same equipment and existing cell sites so naturally coverage should be much broader than Sprint's new WiMax coverage. But wimax is steadily being spread out. Sprint is currently working on its new multi-mode technology which is even better than all current technology but thats besides the point.

As for T-Mobile warranty exchange policy, I only know what I was told in the store. They make you file an insurance claim for broken screens and such. No in-store exchanges for any physical damage. But I could have been told wrong.

I don't mind being told I'm wrong about something but I do mind when somebody talks the way you just did. Again I couldn't care less about being a "fanboy". That's just dumb. Go talk down to your kids, they might be more inclined to listen to you.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:13 PM
Regular 'Geeker

tx_dbs_tx is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartx_dbs_tx is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartx_dbs_tx is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartx_dbs_tx is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

About the gps and navigation... know Verizon used to lock down gps on their smartphones and you had to subscribe to vz navigator and pay an additional $10 per month for it. And you couldn't use gps with other apps. That was back in '07, they may have unlocked the gps on their smartphones now, I don't know. That's one of the main reasons I switched to Sprint.

As for Sprint navigation and Google maps, I use both. Both are very good. I mostly use Google maps its pretty awesome since the last update. Give it a try. It seems faster and more responsive when scrolling around the map during navigation. Plus Google maps integrates with the EVO's voice search feature. Sprint navigation does too somewhat... I think.
They're all nice navigation apps. You can't go wrong with either one.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:41 PM
VIP Member

BlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_dbs_tx View Post
You can save your rude & ignorant comments for somebody who gives a rats ass. If someone is wrong about something you can point it out without sounding like your pissed off at the world. I'm not a fanboy, I use what works best for me and whoever offers the devices I want for a reasonable price. Period. Same with you and everybody else.

Fact: WiMax is much faster than HSPA+ Unless your testing with a weak WiMax signal. There's tons of test results Google it big daddy.

Fact: I have never known sprint to throttle data, especially upon reaching just 5gb.

Fact: T-Mobile's HSPA+ uses the same equipment and existing cell sites so naturally coverage should be much broader than Sprint's new WiMax coverage. But wimax is steadily being spread out. Sprint is currently working on its new multi-mode technology which is even better than all current technology but thats besides the point.

As for T-Mobile warranty exchange policy, I only know what I was told in the store. They make you file an insurance claim for broken screens and such. No in-store exchanges for any physical damage. But I could have been told wrong.

I don't mind being told I'm wrong about something but I do mind when somebody talks the way you just did. Again I couldn't care less about being a "fanboy". That's just dumb. Go talk down to your kids, they might be more inclined to listen to you.
Well you're wrong. If that upsets you, too bad. What upsets me is when someone like you posts a bunch of BS that is totally false, and then labels it as fact.

Fact: T-Mobile's 42 meg hspa+ is faster than Sprint's 10 meg wimax. This is not an opinion or a fanboy statement, it's an indisputable fact.

Fact: Sprint reserves the right to throttle speeds on abusers, and has reserved that right for longer than T-Mobile.

Again, Sprint may be better for you than T-Mobile, but that doesn't make it a fact that Sprint is better, faster, cheaper, whatever. It just means that either T-Mobile doesn't have good coverage in your area or you just don't know what you're talking about.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:49 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
About the gps and navigation... know Verizon used to lock down gps on their smartphones and you had to subscribe to vz navigator and pay an additional $10 per month for it. And you couldn't use gps with other apps. That was back in '07, they may have unlocked the gps on their smartphones now, I don't know. That's one of the main reasons I switched to Sprint.

As for Sprint navigation and Google maps, I use both. Both are very good. I mostly use Google maps its pretty awesome since the last update. Give it a try. It seems faster and more responsive when scrolling around the map during navigation. Plus Google maps integrates with the EVO's voice search feature. Sprint navigation does too somewhat... I think.
They're all nice navigation apps. You can't go wrong with either one.
As far as I know, the last device Verizon locked the GPS on was the 6800, and they unlocked it in an update if I remember correctly.

They have never locked the GPS on a device that required an everything plan on Sprint (which are the devices that require the new SERO plans).
Old 01-31-2011, 01:08 PM
Regular 'Geeker

42mb downloads on T-Mobile's HSPA+..... Prove it. I've never heard of such.

I never stated things the way you are insinuating. Your pumping up T-Mobile more than the folks over in the T-Mobile forums and more than you claim I "fanboy" about Sprint . You get over it. Find something else to piss and moan about. You don't sign my paycheck so get back to riding somebody else's coat tail.

Last edited by tx_dbs_tx; 01-31-2011 at 01:14 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:17 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Samsung
Carrier: Me

sprintman is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsprintman is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsprintman is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsprintman is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Btw. I had sero 30$ a month. Now with epic I pay 50$ unlimited everything but minutes. I was told I have some new perks like TeleNav. What else do I get as perks? Like sprint tv? Is that included?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
Old 01-31-2011, 01:44 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick99si View Post
They may need to upgrade to SERO-P, not necessarily have to.
If your on SERO and want an Android device on sero, you MUST goto SERO-P..

Quote:
This post is full of fail. If you are going to claim you're speaking facts, then please do some fact checking before you post this nonsense.

Fact #1: Sprint also claims to throttle speed of abusers, just like T-Mobile. That is actually where T-Mobile got the idea.
Fact #2: T-Mobile's HSPA+ is faster than Sprint's Wimax.
Fact #3: T-Mobile's HSPA+ has a larger coverage area than Sprint's Wimax.
Fact #4: While T-Mobile may not have any repair techs in stores, they will certainly swap your device for another one.

We get it- you are a Sprint fanboy. But don't go spouting BS and claiming it's true just to make Sprint look better than they really are. Sprint may very well have better service than T-Mobile in your area. But your post doesn't say anything about your area, it's flat out saying Sprint is better than T-Mobile for everyone.
first really only one or 2 things were wrong in the post you were referring to..

second, stick to the facts yourself... we'll get to it below but there is NO 42mbs HSPA+ its a theorhetical 21mbs for now... hoping to be increased to 42.. so get YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT GUY....... and NOONE actually hits that anyways, more like 8mbs - 12/13mbs at best....

third, NOW YOUR FACTS... SPRINT DOES NOT THROTTLE DATA.. I use damn near 100GBs on average... thats right, a HUNDRED FREAKING GIGABYTES... my speeds are always the SAME whether its the first GB or the 130th GB... stop speculating like you know shit already guy.. dont believe me, ask Darren.. He is the only other User ive found that gets even close to me, his Data never gets throttled either..

And of course we're Fanboys you dweeb, so are you, and everyone else... WE ALL picked the carriers we're on for one reason or another... so of course we're going to say we have the best one.... Its like being a fan of your hometown teams, doesnt matter how they perform, you just support them no matter what...

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin420 View Post
its not just the gps, its the sprint-nav app. its just a rebranded version of tele-nav as im sure you know, which is a paid app (9.99 a month) and in my opinion, is a better than the free alternative like google maps or bing.
I never understood why theres even a Sprint Nav... like you said, you can go download TeleNav, which is Identical minus some SPrint logos, for free... why would anyone care if they have Sprint Nav or not lol I use GMaps most personally... i dont need GPS, at all.. just give me a word list of directions and im golden..

Quote:
Well you're wrong. If that upsets you, too bad. What upsets me is when someone like you posts a bunch of BS that is totally false, and then labels it as fact.

Fact: T-Mobile's 42 meg hspa+ is faster than Sprint's 10 meg wimax. This is not an opinion or a fanboy statement, it's an indisputable fact.

Fact: Sprint reserves the right to throttle speeds on abusers, and has reserved that right for longer than T-Mobile.

Again, Sprint may be better for you than T-Mobile, but that doesn't make it a fact that Sprint is better, faster, cheaper, whatever. It just means that either T-Mobile doesn't have good coverage in your area or you just don't know what you're talking about.

I hope this helps you realize youve posted damn near the same thing above already, because i quoted it.. but here it goes again..

Fact, your yelling at people for saying what you feel are "lies" or misleading or wrong info" ... YOUR DOING THe SAME..

Fact, theres NO 42 HSPA+.. check it doucher.. its 21 for now.. and thats a Theorhetical limit... which to cell companies it means if less than 5% of the network tried to use it, it MAY hit those speeds.. its more like 8-12/13mb avg depending on signal..

fact, SPRINT DOESNT THROTTLE DATA... STOP TALKING ABOUT WHAT "YOUVE HEARD OR READ" iM A REAL DEAL POWER USER 100gb A MONTH AVG, I KNOW WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT..

FACT - YOU SIT DOWN TO PEE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintman View Post
Btw. I had sero 30$ a month. Now with epic I pay 50$ unlimited everything but minutes. I was told I have some new perks like TeleNav. What else do I get as perks? Like sprint tv? Is that included?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
TeleNav is FREE, Sprint Nav apparently charges... its identical with Sprint logos... its not a perk lol.. Sprint TV has always been free for some channels... not matter what plan you have, most of the good channels cost $..

<big sigh of relief>
Old 01-31-2011, 01:49 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
42mb downloads on T-Mobile's HSPA+..... Prove it. I've never heard of such.

I never stated things the way you are insinuating. Your pumping up T-Mobile more than the folks over in the T-Mobile forums and more than you claim I "fanboy" about Sprint . You get over it. Find something else to piss and moan about. You don't sign my paycheck so get back to riding somebody else's coat tail.
You're in here posting "facts" and then demand proof for common knowledge things T-Mobile's network speed? Here's some proof for you:
http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2011/01/...o-42mbps-hspa/

Again, this is not fanboy fantasy or speculation. T-Mobile's hspa+ is faster than Sprint's wimax.

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion