PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2011, 01:55 AM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Re: Sprint forcing premium data on ALL SMARTPHONES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recursion View Post
You sound happy about that! LOL@yer TMO-self...

I agree...all the complaining was what brought on this 3g smartphone fee. But I don't blame the complainers though. I do blame Sprint for being a$$4atz about this. Instead of not squeezing some, they decide to squeeze everyone? This will give them a short-term boost, but a long-term churn rate that they'll be feeling for years.

In the long run though people will accept it as they did the "Everything" plans even though they were more expensive..as long as sprint is cheaper then the competition even by 5$ they will keep floating their edge..

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidaya View Post
seems to me the 10 dollar smartphone charge is just like the additional charge many carriers charge blackberry owners. im alrady paying the 10 since i have an evo. i was not happy about it, even compared what i was getting from other carriers and what i would pay there. turns out my 10 addition was still cheaper... so i scowled and went about my way.
Well the thing that kinda makes it funny was the "everything" plans...it is kinda silly since the claim for the simply everything plans was to "simplify" things and have universal plans for all phones straight forward...but given time it was obvious they'd throw this curve ball into the mix >.>

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 01-23-2011, 02:32 AM
VFW Member
Pocket PC: GNote2 Sprint SERO!
Carrier: Theodore Roosevelt CVN-71

gullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I didn't accept it!

Sent from my Epic 3G on SERO.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:30 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Nexus S - E3GT - Epic 3G
Carrier: SERO $30

quick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidaya View Post
seems to me the 10 dollar smartphone charge is just like the additional charge many carriers charge blackberry owners. im alrady paying the 10 since i have an evo. i was not happy about it, even compared what i was getting from other carriers and what i would pay there. turns out my 10 addition was still cheaper... so i scowled and went about my way.
The BB fee isn't quite the same thing, since RIM/Blackberry is involved on the network side that delivers data to your BB device. Nexte, Sprint PCS, Verizon used to charge $40-45 for this service, and Tmo was cheapest at $20. SERO owner's were given this same addon for $20/mo and I was personally ecstatic with the price.

Sprint simplified this a while back by including in some plans, and nowadays some/most BB devices can get online without a BB-specific plan (using "regular" data) but with some restrictions.

So yeah, this fee is in anticipation of you using more data. The BB stuff is for their data and email service (which isn't all that hot now since most smartphones support push email for free).
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:27 AM
Rockin' the Red!!
Pocket PC: 1.31.11Neo -- FRX06
Carrier: Sero

Recursion is a VIPRecursion is a VIPRecursion is a VIPRecursion is a VIPRecursion is a VIPRecursion is a VIPRecursion is a VIPRecursion is a VIPRecursion is a VIPRecursion is a VIPRecursion is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
In the long run though people will accept it as they did the "Everything" plans even though they were more expensive..as long as sprint is cheaper then the competition even by 5$ they will keep floating their edge..***
Yeah, you're right ... for the majority of people. But this fee increase reduces loyalty & reduces the price differential b/w Sprint & others.

Reduced loyalty speaks for itself. I've told people a zillion times (car dealers are the most fun) that I would gladly pay someone else more for the same thing.

Slight price differentials can justify people intentionally overpaying just to get "that" hardware. We've already seen this with the iphone.

This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:38 AM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Wirelessly posted (PPCGEEKS Fire Dept.: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows Phone OS 7.0; Trident/3.1; IEMobile/7.0; HTC; HD7))

It's just funny to me that because sprint had their most successful phone in history that they think they have the customer base to make these changes without repercussions...and for added measure said "oh yeah, no more yearly upgrade either"...
Old 01-23-2011, 11:31 AM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.8820 View Post
Wirelessly posted (PPCGEEKS Fire Dept.: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows Phone OS 7.0; Trident/3.1; IEMobile/7.0; HTC; HD7))

It's just funny to me that because sprint had their most successful phone in history that they think they have the customer base to make these changes without repercussions...
i mean i can see why Sprint thinks that... 80% of total sales last year were Smart Phones..(i think thats what i read the other day)..

but im still not happy about it.. i have 2 lines full upgrade eligible, but no devices id like to put on them by the end of the month... i have 5 smartphones... why do i have an everything plan, if its not going to include "everything"??? why do i need to pay more "because i use more data" but yet I have "unlimited data"??

I hope theres a few good lawyers and some people to throw money at this, because Sprint is really playing with the Law here... This is like going to an all you can eat buffet, and them charging $10 on top of it saying "well, you might eat alot of food"...

Sprint has to do this though, because Hesse came out publicly in DEC and said "No Tiered Data Plans"...

Last edited by boredandtattooed; 01-23-2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:55 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo / Touch Pro 2

aronlib is keeping up the good workaronlib is keeping up the good workaronlib is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredandtattooed View Post
i mean i can see why Sprint thinks that... 80% of total sales last year were Smart Phones..(i think thats what i read the other day)..

but im still not happy about it.. i have 2 lines full upgrade eligible, but no devices id like to put on them by the end of the month... i have 5 smartphones... why do i have an everything plan, if its not going to include "everything"??? why do i need to pay more "because i use more data" but yet I have "unlimited data"??

I hope theres a few good lawyers and some people to throw money at this, because Sprint is really playing with the Law here... This is like going to an all you can eat buffet, and them charging $10 on top of it saying "well, you might eat alot of food"...

Sprint has to do this though, because Hesse came out publicly in DEC and said "No Tiered Data Plans"...

Here is the link to FCC Consumer Complaints "http://esupport.fcc.gov/complaints.htm" Click on it, and lets get their servers flooded with complaints against this. You could also file a complaint with you attorney general!

Old 01-24-2011, 11:14 AM
Rockin' the Red!!
Pocket PC: 1.31.11Neo -- FRX06
Carrier: Sero

Recursion is a VIPRecursion is a VIPRecursion is a VIPRecursion is a VIPRecursion is a VIPRecursion is a VIPRecursion is a VIPRecursion is a VIPRecursion is a VIPRecursion is a VIPRecursion is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by aronlib View Post
Here is the link to FCC Consumer Complaints "http://esupport.fcc.gov/complaints.htm" Click on it, and lets get their servers flooded with complaints against this. You could also file a complaint with you attorney general!
a good complaint v. a lame complaint?

LAME = Sprint increased the cost of my service.

GOOD = Sprint increase the cost of my service, which changed a material term in my contract. and now, they're not letting me out of my contract!

GOOD = Sprint falsely advertised my plan as an everything plan, and I'm supposed to have unlimited everything. Now they're adding a "premium data" charge to my plan. This is a material change in my terms, and now they're not letting me out of my contract!
Old 01-24-2011, 01:34 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Nexus S - E3GT - Epic 3G
Carrier: SERO $30

quick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Everything isn't really "everything." I don't think that plan comes with international minutes, text, data, etc.. Look at "everything" as a sales pitch moreso than a descriptor.

Doesn't change the fact that it's BS lol
Old 01-24-2011, 01:42 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

Acknowledgment & Fax Cover sheet to submit additional information.

Filling for: Joel Russell has been received by the FCC. Thanks for your information. When inquiring about your complaint, be sure to reference this number: 11-C00274928 and, be sure to mention that you filed this complaint over the internet.
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion