PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2011, 11:57 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Epic 4G Touch
Carrier: Sprint

tool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to tool2269 Send a message via Yahoo to tool2269
Re: New Sprint Policy on Broken Screens

so.. cancel my tep.. and whenever i have a problem w/ my phone..break the lcd screen...got it
Old 01-11-2011, 12:11 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

Sunsparc is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool2269 View Post
so.. cancel my tep.. and whenever i have a problem w/ my phone..break the lcd screen...got it
Forgot to mention that we do check for any other defects, even software related ones such as rooting.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:18 AM
MWSlim

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsparc View Post
Forgot to mention that we do check for any other defects, even software related ones such as rooting.
I took my rooted phone in to the repair center to have a blown speaker replaced and they didnt say anything to me even after watching virus boot animation lol i guess i got lucky

Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-2011, 12:34 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: mogul(RIP), Pro2, evo4
Carrier: sprint

hidaya is a n00b
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to hidaya

Quote:
The $35 no TEP repair fee is actually fairly new. Sprint started doing it shortly after I started working for them back in October.

As a technician repairing these phones, we see a lot of Evos come in with shattered screens.

So for those of you without an Otterbox or TEP, get one or the other. An Otterbox is a great investment for your phone if you're prone to dropping it.

so if i scratched my screen and wanted it replaced i could go into a repair shop and have it replaced for 35? yes this is a serious question... i was stupid enough to believe the screen did not scratch untill last week
Old 01-11-2011, 12:53 AM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornacl View Post

lose, have someone steal it, or just plain destroy it and you will have no need for a deductible... for those of you that don't know, AFTER you pay the 35.00 repair charge you can then get TEP on your hone.
so what about the people who lose it or it gets stolen BEFORE they get TEP?? guess itd be too little too late.. and theyll be paying someones asking price lol TEP is a good thing, even given the new policy on physical damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidaya View Post
so if i scratched my screen and wanted it replaced i could go into a repair shop and have it replaced for 35? yes this is a serious question... i was stupid enough to believe the screen did not scratch untill last week
very possible.. they may be knit-picky and says its just a scratch or something.. especially if the view isnt messed up at all.. then again, you never know... doesnt hurt to stop by a store and just ask.. then again, just crack your screen a little more and theyll be no more questions..

i can see this new policy being abused, BIG TIME! especially given if they happen to be out of screen that day, theyll be ordring you a complete refurb or NIB device..

Last edited by WarChild; 01-11-2011 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:06 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: touch pro 2

tornacl is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to tornacl Send a message via MSN to tornacl Send a message via Yahoo to tornacl

If the screen is " scratched " it's cosmetic.

Now on to the rooting issue - you come in with a " software defect " and it is more than likely gonna be a deductible.

IMHO - if you got a brick due to a failed root - take the high road - admit what ya did ( or failed to do ) if asked then your chances are better for getting help. Can't really say what help because it is up to that particular tech.

I read a post on here that said ( paraphrasing of course ) " Chances are the tech you are talking to is carrying a rooted device in their pocket. ".

Now again ... you mess up take your medicine and fess up - maybe your brick will get de-bricked... lol
Old 01-11-2011, 01:42 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Epic 4G Touch

tool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to tool2269 Send a message via Yahoo to tool2269

Quote:
hence he needs to crack his screen
Old 01-11-2011, 02:57 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

Sunsparc is becoming a great contributor

Quote:

Now on to the rooting issue - you come in with a " software defect " and it is more than likely gonna be a deductible.

IMHO - if you got a brick due to a failed root - take the high road - admit what ya did ( or failed to do ) if asked then your chances are better for getting help. Can't really say what help because it is up to that particular tech.

I read a post on here that said ( paraphrasing of course ) " Chances are the tech you are talking to is carrying a rooted device in their pocket. ".

Now again ... you mess up take your medicine and fess up - maybe your brick will get de-bricked... lol
Exactly. Two of the three technicians (soon to be all 3) are carrying rooted Evos around at my location, so we know exactly what to look for.

If I come across a rooted device that's having "software issues", I'll kindly fix the issue by either factory resetting or reflashing stock on the phone.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:12 AM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

Quote:
Exactly. Two of the three technicians (soon to be all 3) are carrying rooted Evos around at my location, so we know exactly what to look for.

If I come across a rooted device that's having "software issues", I'll kindly fix the issue by either factory resetting or reflashing stock on the phone.
thats a pisser, glad your not at my store.lol
Old 01-11-2011, 11:08 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy S3

lkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stuff

Sprint/HTC has to be aware that we hackes are pushing the envelop is ways that most software designers would be jealous.
As I write, I am paying testers to test my software. I pay them well and all they do is follow a script. I would love to have thousands of testers run my software and use their innovation to advance my product without paying a dime.(actually they pay to do it!)

Sprint is not going to run hackers off anytime soon. We are dilligently working on their next release.

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion