PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2011, 05:20 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

manacap is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
New Sprint Policy on Broken Screens

Shattered my screen the other day. Radio Shack insurance was useless. Went to Sprint and they replace screens for $35 even without the Sprint insurance plan.
This post has been thanked 8 times.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:23 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO LTE / Stock ICS 4.0.3
Carrier: The Now Network

fceeviper is keeping up the good workfceeviper is keeping up the good workfceeviper is keeping up the good work
Re: New Sprint Policy on Broken Screens

Good to know. Thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJr106 View Post
"Hey did anyone hear about release of the Windows Mobile 6.5 update
for the Touch Pro 2 coming out tomorrow??!!
I just read at the top of this thread and wanted to share it with everyone"
Old 01-10-2011, 05:25 PM
Officer Android
Pocket PC: HTC Hero, T-Mobile G1, Diamond, HTC Evo

bradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to bradart Send a message via MSN to bradart Send a message via Skype™ to bradart

Quote:
Originally Posted by manacap View Post
Shattered my screen the other day. Radio Shack insurance was useless. Went to Sprint and they replace screens for $35 even without the Sprint insurance plan.
That's not a sprint policy and, if you've read Radioshack's terms of service for their service plans (which you obviously you did, because it's a legally binding agreement and any intelligent person would've) they don't cover physical damage, only manufacturer defects and regular wear and tear. Accidental and catastrophic damage are not covered at all, ever.

Sprint repair centers have also been fixing phones for a while. I would assume that's why they're called repair center's.

BTW neither of these things relates directly to a Sprint policy and even less to a policy specifically about broken screens. Had you asked on the forum, a lot of people would have told you that this is exactly how this situation was going to play out.

Edit: Also, Radioshack doesn't sell an insurance plan. It's an extended warranty.

Sponsored by Kools.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:04 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

Sunsparc is becoming a great contributor

The $35 no TEP repair fee is actually fairly new. Sprint started doing it shortly after I started working for them back in October.

As a technician repairing these phones, we see a lot of Evos come in with shattered screens.

So for those of you without an Otterbox or TEP, get one or the other. An Otterbox is a great investment for your phone if you're prone to dropping it.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:31 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

I almost hate to chime in on this one..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradart View Post

1.That's not a sprint policy

2. Accidental and catastrophic damage are not covered at all, ever.

3. Sprint repair centers have also been fixing phones for a while. I would assume that's why they're called repair center's.

4. BTW neither of these things relates directly to a Sprint policy and even less to a policy specifically about broken screens.

1. READ Support - Article guess it's SPRINT POLICY huh

2. "accidents arent covered, ever"... oh Really now??? READ Support - Article

3. Reapir Center have always done repair yes.. but the NEW Policy states: YOU DONT EVEN HAVe HAVE INSURANCE NOW

4. READ AGAIN Support - Article its more than OBVIOUS THIS HAS EVERYTHING TO DO WITH SPRINTS POLICY AND SPECIICALLY BROKEN SCREENS!!!!

That being said, this is obviously NEW information to YOU as well.. so enjoy it!

and this has only been going on since around NOV of 2010, so 2 months, I d say its still pretty new to be talked about..... though i will say the info was in my SIG for a month(which doesnt mean much, just saying) and there is a thread on this in Carrier Discussion http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/carrier-di...ep-policy.html

Last edited by WarChild; 01-11-2011 at 01:16 PM.
This post has been thanked 4 times.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:36 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Threadstarter

manacap is becoming a great contributor

Thanks for the defense. I put this out there for the reasons cited above (Sprint told me it is new policy) and because a search in this forum on broken screens did not show the information I needed. Interesting enough, Radio Shack took a quite a bit of time on the phone (1/2 hour) to verify that the screen was not covered, especially when I just looking or a yes/no (having read the document, it seem to fall under "abuse" but I wanted to make sure).
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:45 PM
Gatornator
Pocket PC: Palm Pre /3 EVO 4G's/1 moPho!

gator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Yeah OP, glad you got phone fixed and on yur way!
Old 01-10-2011, 06:48 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by manacap View Post
Thanks for the defense. I put this out there for the reasons cited above (Sprint told me it is new policy) and because a search in this forum on broken screens did not show the information I needed. Interesting enough, Radio Shack took a quite a bit of time on the phone (1/2 hour) to verify that the screen was not covered, especially when I just looking or a yes/no (having read the document, it seem to fall under "abuse" but I wanted to make sure).
first off welcome here and i know you have been here awhile but its your first (second now) post and i agree lots of people dont know this useful info. and yes it was posted here before on site but i cant even find it so im sure seach didnt help much be anyway its a good thread imo.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:02 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy S3

lkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stuff

Last week, a girl at work dropped her phone and broke the screen. She used TEP, paid $100 and got a new phone. When the new phone was three days old, she dropped it and broke the glass. I told her about the $35 deal. She went to Sprint repair and they were going to repair her screen but they did not have her type in stock. So they ordered her a replacement FOR FREE.

Whether this is policy and just good customer relationship, I think it was a good deal.

BTW - I convinced her to order a Ballistics
Old 01-10-2011, 11:45 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

Sunsparc is becoming a great contributor

I guess I'll be the end all of this thread, seeing as I deal with this every day.

1. It is Sprint policy.

2. TEP is a combination of two types of insurance, ESRP and ERP. ESRP is service and repair, ERP is replacement. ESRP covers software troubleshooting, parts repairs, etc. ERP covers everything outside of ESRP, including liquid damage and physical damage to the charging port or motherboard. Asurion handles ERP.

3. If you do not have ESRP or TEP, there is a $35 charge for repairing the phone physically. No charge for software problems (termed as "triage").

4. Shattered Evo screens are covered under ESRP/TEP, no matter how "abused" they look. If there is any other physical or liquid damage outside of the LCD shatter, then it is not covered. An insurance claim through Asurion would have to be made.

5. If the part is in stock at the particular repair location, it can be replaced. Note that there are TWO types of Evo screens. Those made by Sharp and those made by AUO. The repair location may have some of one, but none of the other. Most Evos have AUO screens, though.

6. If the part is not in stock, then they will exchange the device. No charge with TEP/ESRP, $35 with ERP/No TEP.

Any other questions?

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion