PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2011, 10:27 PM
VIP Member - Retired
Pocket PC: Moto Flip>Smsng 8500>Razr v3m>Mogul>TP>3 TP2s+ ??
Carrier: Sprint Premier Gold- White Glove Status
Threadstarter

teradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Simple Guide 7/7/11, 6 Easy Steps (15 min): ANDROID TP2 DL links, FRX06, GingerBr

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkedch View Post
I am using a PC that i built myself. and I will keep an eye on that
lol... sorry was posting on a tp2, what OS?

If anyone is on XP, you may need to DL tetherxp.inf from: http://www.google.com/support/mobile...wer=182134#usb

Might have something to do with which service pack you have on it.

*edit*
Will look at Win7 later & post up what I have todo to get that working.

Last edited by teradog; 07-07-2011 at 11:12 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:28 PM
Testing Extraordinaire
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (RHOD400)
Carrier: Sprint

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Re: Simple Guide 7/7/11, 6 Easy Steps (15 min): ANDROID TP2 DL links, FRX06, GingerBr

Quote:
Originally Posted by teradog View Post
lol... sorry was posting on a tp2, what OS?

If on XP, you need to DL tetherxp.inf
He mentioned Win7 .

I also did not need any inf's for XP... odd.

Edit - so I'm trying this on a Win7 machine @ home that didn't have anything installed on it. I was able to get Droid Explorer working with pda.net, but I haven't been able to get the USB tethering to work! Annoying... I'm not sure if the XP machine I have at work already had a bunch of crap on it so it seemed to 'just work', so XP might require that awesome guide that teradog wrote here.

I'll try to plug away on this Win7 machine - anyone else have similar issues? Let us know if you figured 'em out. I thought I (or someone...) tested this on Win7...

Edit 2 - countzero's post says Win7 works... huh. Wonder what we're missing! I definitely didn't test on Win7 before... D'oh. teradog'll figure it out .

Last edited by arrrghhh; 07-08-2011 at 12:46 AM.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:42 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

tkedch knows their stufftkedch knows their stufftkedch knows their stufftkedch knows their stufftkedch knows their stufftkedch knows their stufftkedch knows their stufftkedch knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrrghhh View Post
He mentioned Win7 .

I also did not need any inf's for XP... odd.

Edit - so I'm trying this on a Win7 machine @ home that didn't have anything installed on it. I was able to get Droid Explorer working with pda.net, but I haven't been able to get the USB tethering to work! Annoying... I'm not sure if the XP machine I have at work already had a bunch of crap on it so it seemed to 'just work', so XP might require that awesome guide that teradog wrote here.

I'll try to plug away on this Win7 machine - anyone else have similar issues? Let us know if you figured 'em out. I thought I (or someone...) tested this on Win7...

Edit 2 - countzero's post says Win7 works... huh. Wonder what we're missing! I definitely didn't test on Win7 before... D'oh. teradog'll figure it out .
Thanks for testing. I thought it was one of those "isolated" problems i'm having again. Either way, I will keep trying and see if there is a fix.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:17 AM
VIP Member - Retired
Threadstarter

teradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkedch View Post
Thanks for testing. I thought it was one of those "isolated" problems i'm having again. Either way, I will keep trying and see if there is a fix.
We're all testing together... let's get this win7 USB working!! I'll be doing all the rest of USB posting in the new usb thread
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/android-tp...twork-how.html
Could you try step 1 of post #2 & let me know if any change? In that thread plz...
Old 07-08-2011, 09:30 PM
VIP Member - Retired
Threadstarter

I'm going to copy in a PM I received, but not who sent it. Some great questions, by someone that's done their homework! If they had these questions, you may too... read on, my response is in red.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1." Copy a startup.txt or startup.txt from the startup dir" Does this mean its from the startup dir of windows? Or is it one of those that you find on this website FAQ - Project Android

>>grab any old micro sd, DL the latest froyo, unzip on pc, copy to root or a dir on sd... root gets messy if planning on running same sd for tunes, etc. on win side, so most install to a dir "andboot" copy your unzipped stuff to andboot & you should see a startups dir (in sdcard\andboot\startups\RHOD)

2. In relation to that you write "Ensure you have the correct startup.txt (rhod 400) from the startups directory " However, my phone says Rhod 500, so I assume I use Rhod 500, not 400 correct?
yes, looks like I should clean that up :>))

3. "Make another file named “default.txt” in the same directory, both the same (to avoid any issues). " Does this file just stay blank? Or does this file have the same stuff thats written in startup.txt?

>> more cleanup needed, not needed anymore.. same stuff in it..

4. You also say if it doesnt run to try the Failsafe method. The question I have there is you write to Rename your windows\startup (ex. 1startup)
Now wont that affect Windows?? I thought this shouldnt affect windows. If I do change it will it boot into windows correctly if I try to reboot the device?
Yes of course it affects the windows side! I thought I put something that said "the first time".. it builds your android system in a file named data.img... you can rename back after you've run it once/ built it.

5. I cant for the life of me figure out what this means "7zip unzip 2 times" Is 7zip the program? and are you saying it needs to be unzipped twice? If so where do I find this program, cause unless I'm mistaken, I couldnt locate that on your links.

If you read the xdandroid.com links, you'll see it has a link to it.. it's the best .zip program around (compression, decomp) for downloads, so they aren't so big. Funny thing is, you actually have to run it again to get the files. *edited*

Great reading & research, time to just start hammering away at it, it really shouldn't take more than 20 min!

You learn also by doing... it won't hurt your windows stuff!!!

Last edited by teradog; 07-08-2011 at 09:40 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:36 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: Verizon

machek is becoming a great contributor

I've seen SD cards that are Class 10, i.e a 4gb class 10 card. Is there any disadvantage to using a class 10 over a class 6? I assume it is faster even though you mentioned in the first page that class 6 is best.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:06 PM
Testing Extraordinaire

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by machek View Post
I've seen SD cards that are Class 10, i.e a 4gb class 10 card. Is there any disadvantage to using a class 10 over a class 6? I assume it is faster even though you mentioned in the first page that class 6 is best.
Class 4 is actually best...

Anything above class 4 *can* have issues. I've heard the issues are minimal on class 6 cards, but I've had everything from people saying their card died, or wouldn't boot at all if it was class 10. The only thing those superfast cards are really good for is keeping up with highdef camcorders. Pretty useless for running Android unfortunately... Would be a nice way to get a speed boost, but no .
Old 07-08-2011, 11:08 PM
VIP Member - Retired
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by machek View Post
lol... this was post a while ago, I'll update that as well.. (there was no 10) :>))

I have heard however quite a bit about problems with class ratings on micro SD cards & that they are not accurate in the least... haven't done my own testing, but have been told they are not as accurate as the SD cards.

FYI: I've made a bunch of changes to post 1... clean up

*edit* haha, arrrghhh I see we were posting at the same time.. I've beat the liven daylights out of my C6 8 gig for 2 years, never an issue... re. your c4, yea, I've had people even recommend c2 is better... definitely lots of disagreement re. microSD..

Last edited by teradog; 07-08-2011 at 11:25 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:29 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

shadowlaos is a n00b

Anybody Figure out how to turn off the orange light yet?
Old 07-09-2011, 10:56 PM
Testing Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by teradog View Post
*edit* haha, arrrghhh I see we were posting at the same time.. I've beat the liven daylights out of my C6 8 gig for 2 years, never an issue... re. your c4, yea, I've had people even recommend c2 is better... definitely lots of disagreement re. microSD..
Agreed. It seems class 10 are the only cards that absolutely have issues...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowlaos View Post
Anybody Figure out how to turn off the orange light yet?
You can't. It represents sleep/wake state. If it's solid orange phone isn't sleeping. If it's solid green, phone is sleeping.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2