PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Android On TP2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=179)
-   -   Android/Linux for CDMA Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=113373)

eyeballz 03-09-2010 05:18 PM

Re: Android/Linux for CDMA Touch Pro 2

go make dinner soon. come back during while watching boob tube and you will be at least 4 pages behing this evening :

Droid....Does....TP2....."Better"

Eschelon 03-09-2010 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustusIV (Post 1618259)
Do you think when they start working on bluetooth that its as soon as its going it will support A2DP?
Thats the only way i use bluetooth, so i am just wondering.

klinux over at XDA has BT w/ A2DP "working". It's still a little bootsy, but it's close

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?p=5775833

neilson 03-09-2010 05:23 PM

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.7 (WindowsMobile; PPC; Opera Mobi/35267; U; en; Presto/2.1.1))

We need to have someone on xda or PPCGeeks working exclusively on sound, and see if the tricks used on the Vogue port will also work here.

A Sound leader, that's what this project needs.

davidetkin511 03-09-2010 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neilson (Post 1618382)
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.7 (WindowsMobile; PPC; Opera Mobi/35267; U; en; Presto/2.1.1))

We need to have someone on xda or PPCGeeks working exclusively on sound, and see if the tricks used on the Vogue port will also work here.

A Sound leader, that's what this project needs.

+1
even though the vogue has totally different hardware someone might be able to get something from it

makkonen 03-09-2010 05:31 PM

locomariachi: OK, if you want to repartition your sd card, here's the super bare bones instructions on how to do it. There's probably an easier way, but a quick google search doesn't get me any closer to knowing what it is. WARNING: GParted is a powerful tool. If you touch your main hard drive with it, you can trash everything in an instant and be left with an unbootable computer. Be wary.

Backup your SD Card.
Download Ubuntu 9.10.
Burn to CD.
Boot into Ubuntu.
Connect your phone to the computer, in Mass Storage mode (from WinMo).
Open GParted. (From System menu -> Administration)
Select the SD Card. (Be Careful -- Here be dragons)
Delete ALL partitions.
Make 1 Primary partition, of type FAT32.
Reboot to Windows.
Replace your Android files.
Load Android.
Hope it worked.
Curse my name if it didn't.

Option 2:
Convince the devs to make the initramfs and rootfs boot correctly off these strangely-partitioned sd cards. This is a much trickier proposition, and involves social engineering and persuasion skills outside the scope of this tutorial.

ps3evader 03-09-2010 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skruff77 (Post 1618308)
im on verizon and i get 3g network this is cool. i was reading that pople on verizon cant get network but i got it. lol now i just need to test mms to see if it works

hey man let us know how it works:mrgreen:

-=OG=- 03-09-2010 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by makkonen (Post 1614842)
The android folder no longer works. (It was conflicting with apps that created their own android folder in the sdcard, so it was changed.) If you still want to segregate your android files, change the android folder to 'andboot'.

Or you can add rel_path=whatever to your cmdline (in startup.txt) and then use whatever directory. (You need the latest initrd.gz for this to work correctly, though.)

It is not time sensitive, it's just touch sensitive... that is, very touch sensitive. If you look at what you have there, it's 5 sets of x,y coordinates, and your second and third pair are essentially the same. Meaning it read the second point twice, making the third and fourth points wrong.

If you have trouble with the calibration, just reboot to winmo and delete ts-calibration from your android folder on your sdcard. It will run the calibration again on the next boot.

I would take that link down, simply because it confuses the issue. That's 95-Civic's old build, which contains a few out-of-tree hacks. This is the new one that's a little closer to lining up with the mainline development.

I know post 1 says Sprint only, but I'd try it with Verizon anyway. The problem (at least as I know it, I haven't spoken with MrPippy about it) tends to be with carriers that require a username and password to connect to data, and I don't actually think Verizon does so. I know a few months ago when people were getting up and running with the RAPH500, it could connect to data without all the trouble that USCC et al were giving.

I could be wrong on that count, though. (There are a number of other issues that could cause a problem.) Can anyone confirm, up or down, whether data's working on Verizon?

Yes! Data is working on Verizon. Followed the steps in the first thread and didn't have any problems. Much props to Mr. Pippy!!!!

fraggy4 03-09-2010 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -=OG=- (Post 1618424)
Yes! Data is working on Verizon. Followed the steps in the first thread and didn't have any problems. Much props to Mr. Pippy!!!!

By the steps in the first thread, what do you mean? I can't find the steps for Verizon data.

fishpony 03-09-2010 05:43 PM

Put all the files in the ROOT of your SD card and try it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sliverr7x (Post 1618326)
I need some help alright I dl the easy zip to my sd card I made a new folder in my sd card and unziped the contents to the android folder I opened it up and hit haret.exe it started up but for the ninth time I keep getting can not find root of sd card Root.rs needs to be unzipped to the root of sd card... I tryed brand new sd card and I have never had a problem with civics builds,Enless I am missing something about the root of the sd card and were to but it. thanks

JustusIV 03-09-2010 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eschelon (Post 1618365)
klinux over at XDA has BT w/ A2DP "working". It's still a little bootsy, but it's close

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?p=5775833

So is that on the gsm side of things?
basically just needs to be ported over to the cdma?

sfxc13 03-09-2010 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustusIV (Post 1618465)

For a different phone with different hardware.

JustusIV 03-09-2010 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sfxc13 (Post 1618467)
For a different phone with different hardware.

oh sorry didnt notice the location of that thread, my bad.

Eschelon 03-09-2010 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustusIV (Post 1618465)

Correct. The version in his thread natively runs on the TouchHD, but also works with the GSM Rhodium model after editing the startup.txt file slightly. Now all that needs to be done is a port and a handful of other tweaks and it should work with CDMA within the near future (obviously I'm making it sound easier than it is - and it could easily be weeks or months before this happens. I only mention it since the other guy asked if A2DP is a possibility).

Although after following the IRC channel last night and today, it seems that the priority is now somewhat focused on sound capabilities. But it's anyone's guess as to what feature will be enabled next

fraggy4 03-09-2010 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eschelon (Post 1618476)
Although after following the IRC channel last night and today, it seems that the priority is now somewhat focused on sound capabilities. But it's anyone's guess as to what feature will be enabled next

Pity that it's taking this long to get sound working, that should have been one of the 1st priorities.

BradP 03-09-2010 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fraggy4 (Post 1618432)
By the steps in the first thread, what do you mean? I can't find the steps for Verizon data.

I used the 'All in One" download that Flyer posted on page 7 and my (verizon) data works fine.

Remember to take out your SIM card.

Also, before I launched the Haret file, I turned off my data in WinMo. I thought I had read this during Civic's thread - so I always turn off data in WinMo then run Haret.

I love this stuff! I am so glad I found this site...my TP2 would have been so boring without PPCGEEKS.

Eschelon 03-09-2010 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fraggy4 (Post 1618485)
Pity that it's taking this long to get sound working, that should have been one of the 1st priorities.

To each his own. Others would argue that data was most important since a smartphone is generally worthless without it - especially a smartphone running Android. I personally don't care either way as I'm just enjoying the ride like everyone else :thumbleft:

But since it's all free and these guys do it all out of the generosity of their little hearts, we can't complain too much, no? If you want sound that badly, download the repo and unpack it, then get the sound working on your own :)

fraggy4 03-09-2010 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eschelon (Post 1618496)
To each his own. Others would argue that data was most important. I personally don't care either way as I'm just enjoying the ride like everyone else

Actually, I completely forgot about data :P I had been using the very early builds that didn't even have CDMA radio support yet, and now that data is working I'm very excited. But The order should have been CDMA radio, data, and sound. I don't believe that's been the order so far, is it?

But the good news is that I might not have to replace this junky TP2 with an Incredible now that development on the CDMA front is speeding along :)

x10guy 03-09-2010 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fraggy4 (Post 1618485)

post sounds a bit harsh to me... Personally I'm grateful for all the progress made, rather than complaining. Yes sound is important but patience...

fraggy4 03-09-2010 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x10guy (Post 1618508)
post sounds a bit harsh to me... Personally I'm grateful for all the progress made, rather than complaining. Yes sound is important but patience...

See my most recent post for clarification on what I meant. :)
Bad news, TP2 reset during Google Account setup and selecting network. :(

zeeter82 03-09-2010 06:11 PM

I can't get out of airplane mode. I have the 4 bars with the "x" and it says no service. I received a txt msg though...haha kinda weird.

I'm on verizon...any ideas?

Eschelon 03-09-2010 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fraggy4 (Post 1618501)
Actually, I completely forgot about data :P I had been using the very early builds that didn't even have CDMA radio support yet, and now that data is working I'm very excited. But The order should have been CDMA radio, data, and sound. I don't believe that's been the order so far, is it?

The order hasn't exactly gone as planned, which is typical for any full OS port.

Take civic's last thread for example. He originally planned on getting the RIL tweaked to enable data, but ended up settling on Wifi first (with MrPippy) since it was a much easier task and was a workaround way to enable some form of data. Then the devs found out that the marketplace didn't work so they had to fix that, even though that wasn't planned... and so on

Quote:

Originally Posted by fraggy4 (Post 1618517)
See my most recent post for clarification on what I meant. :)
Bad news, TP2 reset during Google Account setup and selecting network. :(

That's "normal" Just keep trying and you'll eventually get in

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeeter82 (Post 1618519)
I can't get out of airplane mode. I have the 4 bars with the "x" and it says no service. I received a txt msg though...haha kinda weird.

I'm on verizon...any ideas?

Take out your SIM card and reboot Android

Cicatrize 03-09-2010 06:12 PM

Sound is probably the least of importance to me. I think everything is going great. My order is probably Text > Data > Phone > GPS > Sound > Battery Stuff. :)

LiquidX 03-09-2010 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fraggy4 (Post 1618501)

But the good news is that I might not have to replace this junky TP2 with an Incredible now that development on the CDMA front is speeding along :)

Actually we don't know what's next, it has been cdma radio, data, and we are waiting for future releases to see what comes next. This was the first fairly stable release that had data in it.

fraggy4 03-09-2010 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cicatrize (Post 1618522)
Sound is probably the least of importance to me. I think everything is going great. My order is probably Text > Data > Phone > GPS > Sound > Battery Stuff. :)

I believe Sound is fairly important to Phone :)

Eschelon 03-09-2010 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fraggy4 (Post 1618526)

Again, to each his own.

Having a debate about which feature is most important is all relative; everyone here could argue why their feature is most important with valid arguments. But such a debate is asinine. The fact of the matter is, the devs get to decide what to work on next

LiquidX 03-09-2010 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eschelon (Post 1618538)
Again, to each his own.

Having a debate about which feature is most important is all relative; everyone here could argue why their feature is most important with valid arguments. But such a debate is asinine. The fact of the matter is, the devs get to decide what to work on next

Not to mention there is a poll for this in the android sub forum

edit: here is the link http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=113492

friedmjb 03-09-2010 06:20 PM

Question: in the following link http://glemsom.anapnea.net/android/htc-msm-android/ are linux kernal zImages. Is there any reason I would have a problem deleting my zImage and replacing with the most recent build?

Eschelon 03-09-2010 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiquidX (Post 1618539)
Not to mention there is a poll for this in the android sub forum

edit: here is the link http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=113492

Sound and power management seem to be the biggest wants.

Sounds about right :)

Boominsvx 03-09-2010 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by friedmjb (Post 1618541)
Question: in the following link http://glemsom.anapnea.net/android/htc-msm-android/ are linux kernal zImages. Is there any reason I would have a problem deleting my zImage and replacing with the most recent build?

Shouldn't be. I just downloaded the newest and deleted the zimage and modules files off the SD card and replaced them with these 2 downloaded files. Don't forget to rename zimage********* (whatever numbers it has) to just "zimage" without the quotes. Mine is working fine.

coolshock1 03-09-2010 06:30 PM

data for verizon has been working all along on this build. make sure that your sim card is out and that after you boot up go into setting-wireless- network i believe. it will search for a network but won't show verizon. just select automatically choose I believe and you should be set. all of my posts but 1 in this thread have been made while running android excluding this one.

x10guy 03-09-2010 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fraggy4 (Post 1618526)

I think everyone agrees that sound is important but the point (or complaint) you make about the development not being done in the correct order makes NO sense... and contributes nothing to this forum.

The android port is being done in bits and pieces by people who on their own time are trying to get everything working. So naturally, things won't be done in any particular order....

In literally 2 weeks, Android for the TP2 has gone from an obscure project for a few dedicated volunteers to this HUGE following with it own dedicated sub-forum.

It's not like they determined ahead of time that they were going to exclude "sound" from the project. No matter what order it happens, it's coming.

cflynt 03-09-2010 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by friedmjb (Post 1618541)

Well considering that is how the instructions lay it out, I would hope so! :) Yes, that is the idea behind it all, is use the latest kernel and modules, put MrPippy's latest rootfs.img and you are good. As new kernels get built you just put those in place.

Just make sure you include the modules that come with the kernel! :)

00_MACKIE_00 03-09-2010 07:51 PM

Did this thread get quiet or is it just me?

sd_matto 03-09-2010 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00_MACKIE_00 (Post 1618707)

Quiet is good, especially at the pace that this thread has been progressing. Gotta take a deep breath once in a while, after all!

Damionix 03-09-2010 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x10guy (Post 1618568)
I think everyone agrees that sound is important but the point (or complaint) you make about the development not being done in the correct order makes NO sense... and contributes nothing to this forum.

The android port is being done in bits and pieces by people who on their own time are trying to get everything working. So naturally, things won't be done in any particular order....

In literally 2 weeks, Android for the TP2 has gone from an obscure project for a few dedicated volunteers to this HUGE following with it own dedicated sub-forum.

It's not like they determined ahead of time that they were going to exclude "sound" from the project. No matter what order it happens, it's coming.

Amen to That. Please people do not abuse the generosity of these individuals who are not obliged to do this. Be nice and patient, and good things will come to you.

zeeter82 03-09-2010 08:00 PM

Thanks Eschelon :)

Do I even need to keep the sim card in here for regular use? I mean isn't the cdma sim card fake anyways?

cflynt 03-09-2010 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeeter82 (Post 1618727)
Thanks Eschelon :)

Do I even need to keep the sim card in here for regular use? I mean isn't the cdma sim card fake anyways?

Unless you are going out of the country you don't need it. It isn't fake. But not really usable otherwise. Some have unlocked the SIM radio in the phone allowing them to take a card from a GSM network and use it in the phone, but I have to question WHY? If you are paying for CDMA service why do you need another service? But I am sure there are reasons, like work phone and personal etc, and wanting to have the numbers there. But in that case if they want to use the SIM for GSM, then they can use the GSM builds and have everything working there already, no need for this special build!

kjhadfield 03-09-2010 08:15 PM

can sum1 pls explain...i ger the process of how to get it up in running, @ 1st i did all in 1 zip which worked gud. but i also this mornin wanted 2 figure out how 2 do the long method...so i would have 2 rely on sum1 putting up a all in 1 everytime we get a update. so anyways i click the link 4 kernel sumthing an seen a new updated version 3/9 which of course is 2day an i know wasnt used 4 the all in 1 zip...

so wats changed, there were no notes? an if a major update came out wat files would they be shown as? sorry 4 not making it 2 clear an hope sum1 understands wat im trying 2 say

by da way, this andriod stuff is da shit. yesterday 4 da 1st time i 'flashed' andriod on my vogue (but its not activated, no data) so it was not as gud so then i seen this thread an desided 2 try it on tp2 which of course has data, an gud fun!

sliverr7x 03-09-2010 08:17 PM

is there something i am missing with extracting this quick link i have tryied a hundred times and it keeps telling me it cant find root.fs on the root of the sd card. how come this is different than 95civics never had a problems with his I am total commander and resexplore any other ideas thanks

neodarksaver 03-09-2010 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00_MACKIE_00 (Post 1618707)

all of our phones are now quiet :P