PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Android On TP2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=179)
-   -   Android/Linux for CDMA Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=113373)

cflynt 03-09-2010 10:50 PM

Re: Android/Linux for CDMA Touch Pro 2

I doubt MrPippy is going to update it for new kernels etc, that's why he linked that in his instructions for you guys to update to the latest if you want. His work was done on the rootfs.img which had the RIL info we needed for CDMA Voice/Data. As changes progress making more adjustments to the CDMA specific stuff etc he will probably update the 1st post accordingly. Or any other major enhancements like Audio, GPS or Camera etc. I could see him updating then, even if it is in the Kernel or a new init. So I would just get in the habit of reading the changelogs at the Glemsom site and see if you want to update your kernel and modules or not.

And yes, the data.img is your actual filesystem, moreso like your home directory in Linux. So unless major enhancements warrant it, or you start experiencing issues, you ideally should be able to keep that and just update the zimage, modules, init and rootfs as needed. But if you are having trouble then of course you might have to forego your data.img and let it recreate it to fix any bugs. And some enhancements change the way things are written/updated so that's when you would have to delete that file as well.

Hope that helps enlighten things. Enjoy your Android, I know I am! :)

00_MACKIE_00 03-09-2010 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michaelagraham (Post 1619085)
I thought the hw3d.force=1 enabled the partial hardware accel that has been implemented (at the cost of the splash screen).

I'd much rather have better performance than the splash screen.

again, pippy hasnt added this yet so I am not jumping the gun and providing that in the startup. I think that would be rude on my part.

proxhack 03-09-2010 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00_MACKIE_00 (Post 1619088)
What process did you use to get it over to your sd card?

Extracted files to the root of the sd card by right clicking on the file

00_MACKIE_00 03-09-2010 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by proxhack (Post 1619097)
Extracted files to the root of the sd card by right clicking on the file

What all did you already have on your sd card?

proxhack 03-09-2010 10:53 PM

I removed the sim card too

proxhack 03-09-2010 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00_MACKIE_00 (Post 1619100)
What all did you already have on your sd card?

I was using civic 95 3-6 without problems...Removed all the android files prior to copying yours.

00_MACKIE_00 03-09-2010 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by proxhack (Post 1619106)
I was using civic 95 3-6 without problems...Removed all the android files prior to copying yours.

I dont know, I didnt have a problem with the new modules and kernel. Again, I gave it hell for 2 hours before I released it.

proxhack 03-09-2010 10:56 PM

i did noticed that it created a folder instead of directly into the card.

I will re-flash again.

00_MACKIE_00 03-09-2010 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by proxhack (Post 1619112)
i did noticed that it created a folder instead of directly into the card.

copy all that out of the folder and onto the root of your sd card.

michaelagraham 03-09-2010 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00_MACKIE_00 (Post 1619094)
again, pippy hasnt added this yet so I am not jumping the gun and providing that in the startup. I think that would be rude on my part.

Oops, missed your reply; just went back and read it. Your explanation makes perfect sense, sorry about that! :)

..and yes, this new kernel seems noticeably quicker even without the force 3d.

00_MACKIE_00 03-09-2010 11:01 PM

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...&postcount=570

Updated post with directions. My bad

gmfeny 03-09-2010 11:02 PM

So does adding "hw3d.force=1" to the startup.txt make a difference in speed performance???

00_MACKIE_00 03-09-2010 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmfeny (Post 1619131)
So does adding "hw3d.force=1" to the startup.txt make a difference in speed performance???

Mixed results from what I read on XDA. Some things didn't work right.

Seems alot faster to me out of the box.

proxhack 03-09-2010 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00_MACKIE_00 (Post 1619115)
copy all that out of the folder and onto the root of your sd card.

It works!

Thank you!

00_MACKIE_00 03-09-2010 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by proxhack (Post 1619137)
It works!

Thank you!

Again my apologies, I updated the post though so that wont happen again lol

kjhadfield 03-09-2010 11:11 PM

i guess no1 seen my post about the kernels getting a update as of today... it was the post about that followed by a question, thats prolly why no1 seen it cuz of the question.

but what sort of changes can we see threw the updated kernels an such? is it only kernels an such that will have major updates or is it all including rootfs and zimage and such?

eyeballz 03-09-2010 11:12 PM

i think the hardware acceleration gives you smother transitions and fades and stuff. It also hesitates on loading apps at the same time, so it is just that experimental.

If you wanna try just add the line to your startup.txt. If you dont like, remove it .

Simple enough.

proxhack 03-09-2010 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00_MACKIE_00 (Post 1619139)

Again my apologies, I updated the post though so that wont happen again lol

Not to worry...Thanks for your help.

I hit the thank you button on a couple posts for you.

00_MACKIE_00 03-09-2010 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by proxhack (Post 1619150)
Not to worry...Thanks for your help.

I hit the thank you button on a couple posts for you.

Thanks, I need it. Alot of my posts with info never get thanked so I appreciate it.

00_MACKIE_00 03-09-2010 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjhadfield (Post 1619148)
i guess no1 seen my post about the kernels getting a update as of today... it was the post about that followed by a question, thats prolly why no1 seen it cuz of the question.

but what sort of changes can we see threw the updated kernels an such? is it only kernels an such that will have major updates or is it all including rootfs and zimage and such?

new zImage and modules (tar file)

wwjclemd 03-09-2010 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00_MACKIE_00 (Post 1619154)
Thanks, I need it. Alot of my posts with info never get thanked so I appreciate it.

That sucks doesn't it... FYI, I always hit thanks. Its the least I can do.

IF SOMEONE HELPED YOU OR YOU USE THEIR $***... THE LEAST U CAN DO IS HIT THANKS:):):)!!!

So... Thanks:)

kjhadfield 03-09-2010 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00_MACKIE_00 (Post 1619161)
new zImage and modules

wow, i get that just by extracting...

i actually was looking for more specifics!

00_MACKIE_00 03-09-2010 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjhadfield (Post 1619171)
wow, i get that just by extracting...

i actually was looking for more specifics!

You can go to http://glemsom.anapnea.net/android/htc-msm-android/ and read it. Post 1 has the link as well. I simply combined everything into a one file download to make it easy for people. Just adding to the community.

I do notice a speed difference though.

kjhadfield 03-09-2010 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00_MACKIE_00 (Post 1619180)
You can go to http://glemsom.anapnea.net/android/htc-msm-android/ and read it. Post 1 has the link as well. I simply combined everything into a one file download to make it easy for people.

ok maybe we are not on the same page. i get the link on post 1, as thats where i noticed there was an update! and when i looked this morning there was an update and it had no notes then later in the day there was another update but the notes didnt show any difference (2 me) then the previous one on 3/8...

in your post it sounds as if your reply w/ sarcasim unless we were truely on 2 different pages so 2 say...

kjhadfield 03-09-2010 11:30 PM

ok now i see your updated your post w/ speed increase, so thats what i was asking what were the changes

00_MACKIE_00 03-09-2010 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjhadfield (Post 1619191)
ok maybe we are not on the same page. i get the link on post 1, as thats where i noticed there was an update! and when i looked this morning there was an update and it had no notes then later in the day there was another update but the notes didnt show any difference (2 me) then the previous one on 3/8...

in your post it sounds as if your reply w/ sarcasim unless we were truely on 2 different pages so 2 say...

no sarcasm on this side.

cflynt 03-09-2010 11:36 PM

On the glemsom site, there is a difference in the Change Log aka Build Log, and the Comments. Comments are just that, someone tested the kernel and reported their findings, it may or may not have anything to do with our particular phones etc being as the kernel is generic for multiple devices. But the Build Log if you Mouse over it, shows what is actually updated in that particular release. Anytime one of the devs commits a change there is a new kernel. So it might just be something minor, or it may be something very sweet and cool! So that's what he was stating is checking that site to see what was changed in that particular kernel release.

jackreisinger1511 03-09-2010 11:36 PM

Hey guys I've run into a brickwall earlier this week and can't get past it, below are the issues I'm seeing:

First Issue - After launching Haret.exe the following error is displayed, "Something used micropklt_lcd_ctrl. This function should no longer be used." This error is displayed repeatly until the device crashes. The only build I've been able to successfully launch was the one released on 1/25/09.

NOTE: Mazzakre provided me with a workaround which was to use the rootfs file from the 1/25/09 release.

Second Issue - After using the workaround (replacing rootfs file) I can not get past the "Learn how to use your XDANDROID" page. Here is what occurs every time (out of 15-20 attempts):
1. Launch Haret.exe, device displays the animated "X" splash screen
2. The "Welcome to XDANDROID" page is displayed, I tap the droid figure (page is displayed in landscape mode)
3. The "Learn how to use your XDANDROID" page is displayed but the device doesn't respond to touchscreen. When I press any physical key I am directed back to the "Welcome to XDANDROID" page. (page is displayed in portrait mode)

I've tried multiple SD cards with the same behavior (both first issue and second) everytime. Please note because of the field of work I'm in these are engineer sample device (e.g. pre-release) but I checked the H/W version [0004] that I have and it's what was released to the public so I doubt that would be the issue. The only other thing I can think of is this device is unlocked for GSM (which I have the SIM out when attempting to install Droid OS).

Any help or advice you guys have would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks again.

makkonen 03-09-2010 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmfeny (Post 1619131)

As I understand it, the hardware 3d only comes into play in a very limited set of circumstances -- seems to be mostly for games and tech demos.

Hardware 3d has nothing to do with the rendering of the android home screen, or the transitions or animations. Those will all run the same with hardware 3d enabled, with software 3d, or with broken 3d.

The fact that the system is being booted from WinMo (as speculated by someone else) also has no effect on the speed or responsiveness of the GUI.

As far as what actually is slowing down the interface, I have heard mention that reading the entire system from SD causes a great deal of overhead. Apparently SD reading and writing is actually fairly processor intensive. Additionally, there might be some issue with the method used for blitting (for writing efficiently to the screen).

eyeballz 03-09-2010 11:42 PM

# 4 will be solved when we get our first .nbh file :) that boots Droid!!!!

Wishlist 2.0

Sound,
GPU
BT

Droid on ROM!

doesnt have to be in that order ;)

richardrk 03-09-2010 11:55 PM

This thread and the development is moving along quite nicely i must say. Maybe soon we might get Sense UI thrown into the mix ;)

nasa1303 03-09-2010 11:57 PM

i am waiting for my external speaker and camera. that would make it almost everyday usable. appreciate all the hard work people are putting in.

cflynt 03-10-2010 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackreisinger1511 (Post 1619213)
Second Issue - After using the workaround (replacing rootfs file) I can not get past the "Learn how to use your XDANDROID" page. Here is what occurs every time (out of 15-20 attempts):
1. Launch Haret.exe, device displays the animated "X" splash screen
2. The "Welcome to XDANDROID" page is displayed, I tap the droid figure (page is displayed in landscape mode)
3. The "Learn how to use your XDANDROID" page is displayed but the device doesn't respond to touchscreen. When I press any physical key I am directed back to the "Welcome to XDANDROID" page. (page is displayed in portrait mode)

Is it possible your Calibration for the screen is messed up? As sensitive as the screen is, it is real easy to miss a box when calibrating, you should have a total of 5 boxes you tapped on during setup. If that is a possibility, then I would delete your ts-calibration file from the root and next time you boot Android it should prompt you to re-calibrate, just be careful, some say using your finger to touch each box works better, haven't tested that theory yet myself, but regardless make sure it sees each box, Top left, Top Right, Middle, Bottom Left and Bottom Right. In that order, if you didn't have to touch a box then it took one of your taps as it on a previous tap. So delete and repeat.

Good Luck.

kjhadfield 03-10-2010 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cflynt (Post 1619210)
On the glemsom site, there is a difference in the Change Log aka Build Log, and the Comments. Comments are just that, someone tested the kernel and reported their findings, it may or may not have anything to do with our particular phones etc being as the kernel is generic for multiple devices. But the Build Log if you Mouse over it, shows what is actually updated in that particular release. Anytime one of the devs commits a change there is a new kernel. So it might just be something minor, or it may be something very sweet and cool! So that's what he was stating is checking that site to see what was changed in that particular kernel release.

ok, the "mouse over" was wat i was looking 4, thanks but as far as comments i was confused 1 of the device info. and 2 the 1st update today had none. so clearing that up helped out my understanding as thats all i was after

thanks agian

00_MACKIE_00 03-10-2010 12:14 AM

I wonder how accurate the signal meter is. I get alot more signal on Android than I do with the other setup. I get no bars in my house with Windows Mobile and a few 2-3 with Android.

cflynt 03-10-2010 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00_MACKIE_00 (Post 1619299)
I wonder how accurate the signal meter is. I get alot more signal on Android than I do with the other setup. I get no bars in my house with Windows Mobile and a few 2-3 with Android.

There has been a bug I think in WM for the TP and TP2 for awhile now on custom ROMS not showing the Signal meter properly. Android probably doesn't exhibit the same issues.

00_MACKIE_00 03-10-2010 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cflynt (Post 1619312)
There has been a bug I think in WM for the TP and TP2 for awhile now on custom ROMS not showing the Signal meter properly. Android probably doesn't exhibit the same issues.

lol what a shocker, a bug on WM. I guess thats why we have this thread and sub forum.

eyeballz 03-10-2010 12:41 AM

tonight i will go to sleep and dream of using pandora on my droid'ed TP2.

Perhaps in 5 more kernel updates ;)

jackreisinger1511 03-10-2010 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cflynt (Post 1619270)
Is it possible your Calibration for the screen is messed up? As sensitive as the screen is, it is real easy to miss a box when calibrating, you should have a total of 5 boxes you tapped on during setup. If that is a possibility, then I would delete your ts-calibration file from the root and next time you boot Android it should prompt you to re-calibrate, just be careful, some say using your finger to touch each box works better, haven't tested that theory yet myself, but regardless make sure it sees each box, Top left, Top Right, Middle, Bottom Left and Bottom Right. In that order, if you didn't have to touch a box then it took one of your taps as it on a previous tap. So delete and repeat.

Good Luck.

Thank you for the help so far. I attempted what you suggested but I do not see a calibration after deleting the ts-calibration file. The only screen I can navigate to after the animated "X" splash screen are the "Welcome to XDANDROID" and "Learn how to use your XDANDROID" screens. The weird thing is I got a force close notificaition which responded to the touchscreen and was accurate. However when I attempt to tap "Skip" or "Begin" they do not respond to touch.

Is there a way I can dump a log file or something I can post from the SD card that would help troubleshoot?

animez 03-10-2010 12:43 AM

Wow, I've never seen a project progress so quickly! I was telling a friend a few weeks ago that I was hoping for wifi early spring and data by summer, but this is much better! A little better touch screen calibration, external speaker, GPS and better battery life and Android will probably be my main OS. Big thanks to MrPippy & 95Civic, donations headed your way after I get paid!

I also want to thank FlyersFan & 00_MACKIE_00 (as well as others) for being so helpful and patient with the new people just discovering Android on the TP2!

My sister showed me her new MotoDroid yesterday and I was like "yeah I can run Android too if I feels like it". :mrgreen: