PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2011, 08:21 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: touch pro2
Carrier: sprint

revaaron is keeping up the good workrevaaron is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Epic 4G replacement?

I'm looking forward to the future now. Don't get me wrong, the epic is the best phone I've ever owned, but I'm now a Gold member and able to update my phone in august. The reason I'm looking forward to doing this is cause my gf is using my TP2 and is more than unable to do anything with the phone. So I'm curious any speculations on a replacement for the Epic 4G. I would love to get a Galaxy SII with a qwerty. That's the kicker. I need need need a qwerty. When I try to use OSK, I fall miserably. Most of the stuff I do is writing about bands with names like:
Flagitious Idiosyncrasy In The Dilapidation

Sublime Cadaveric Decomposition

machetazo

Haemorrhage

and the list goes on. Try typing those on an OSK while not looking at the KB and dodging flying fake blood. So what do people think the chances of a qwerty next gen galaxy will be?
Old 06-06-2011, 08:35 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Re: Epic 4G replacement?

so far the Samsung Within rumored to come out in july will be the Galaxy S2 with no keyboard :/..HOPEFULLY sprint has a heart and a brain in August/Sept to follow up with an Epic 2 based on the Galaxy S2...

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 06-07-2011, 01:16 PM
O-Matic
Pocket PC: Vogue, TP2, Epic 4G, Nexus S, Galaxy SIII, Nexus 4
Carrier: Big Pink

shane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to shane6374

Well Sammy has till next July to get a good qwerty keyboard phone for me. Unless I decide to move one of my other upgrades to my phone. Thinking a nice Epic 3D would be cool. lol

Remember to clickon those who help! It's right down there.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:25 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane6374 View Post
Well Sammy has till next July to get a good qwerty keyboard phone for me. Unless I decide to move one of my other upgrades to my phone. Thinking a nice Epic 3D would be cool. lol
Eh..Epic 3d would be a waste of features..I mean will you really use the 3d? and since everyone is coming out with 3d phones its nothing to brag about either..I prefer an Epic Quad Core lol

Also..I hate to say it but I think the request for samsung to make a kb phone came from sprint..as samsun does not release it anywhere else unfortunately..yes sprint does do something right once in a millenium..
Old 06-07-2011, 01:31 PM
O-Matic
Pocket PC: Vogue, TP2, Epic 4G, Nexus S, Galaxy SIII, Nexus 4
Carrier: Big Pink

shane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIP
Send a message via Yahoo to shane6374

Don't they also have the Epic in India? But your right, I'll take a quad core our amoled screen over anything HTC or Moto have to offer.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:38 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Epic 4G

testacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartestacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartestacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by revaaron View Post
I'm looking forward to the future now. Don't get me wrong, the epic is the best phone I've ever owned, but I'm now a Gold member and able to update my phone in august. The reason I'm looking forward to doing this is cause my gf is using my TP2 and is more than unable to do anything with the phone. So I'm curious any speculations on a replacement for the Epic 4G. I would love to get a Galaxy SII with a qwerty. That's the kicker. I need need need a qwerty. When I try to use OSK, I fall miserably. Most of the stuff I do is writing about bands with names like:
Flagitious Idiosyncrasy In The Dilapidation and the list goes on. Try typing those on an OSK while not looking at the KB and dodging flying fake blood. So what do people think the chances of a qwerty next gen galaxy will be?
I actually just bought 2 new refurb'd Epic's for about $200 each and didn't burn my upgrade credits. I'm still wondering what's coming out by the end of the year, plus I like to see what surprises new phones bring, aka what's broken at release and how long before the bugs are worked out. Plus I'm very concerned about the new coverage maps I've seen with Sprint. I'm not committing to another 2 years until I get my comfy feeling back with them. Sprint's fallback plan with Lightsquared might be shut down soon if they can't fix the GPS interference problems. Think about leaving some of your options open, if you can...
Old 06-07-2011, 02:12 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by testacon View Post
I actually just bought 2 new refurb'd Epic's for about $200 each and didn't burn my upgrade credits. I'm still wondering what's coming out by the end of the year, plus I like to see what surprises new phones bring, aka what's broken at release and how long before the bugs are worked out. Plus I'm very concerned about the new coverage maps I've seen with Sprint. I'm not committing to another 2 years until I get my comfy feeling back with them. Sprint's fallback plan with Lightsquared might be shut down soon if they can't fix the GPS interference problems. Think about leaving some of your options open, if you can...
what gps problem, what rom/kernel you running? i have 0 issues with gps.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:20 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha
Pocket PC: iPhone 5... Y Que?
Carrier: Esprin'

AZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation level

I have no problem typing on the screen... Once you type the name of one of those bands once... The phone will remember it... Then in the future... You only have to type the first few letters and it will pop up as an option.
I thype in spanglish and often times make up words on the fly. They all live in my phone and I have no trouble with it.
Not saying you won't... I'm just sharing my experience... I had the TP and the TP2 after that and I too felt I would really really really need a physical keyboard... Once I used the screen keyboard for a few days... I never looked back.

I don't see much from sprint with a keyboard coming out other than some cheap texting phones and blackberries of course.

Might be time for a change or time to stock up on epics for the future.

Good luck either way bro.

p.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:21 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Epic 4G

testacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartestacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartestacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 View Post
what gps problem, what rom/kernel you running? i have 0 issues with gps.
This was an issue with Sprint not the Epic, if you look at a coverage map after March 2011, you will see that a vast amount of area is now roam only coverage compared to say a map from a month or go earlier before March. My point was that I'd would buy an Epic out of contract and hold onto the upgrade in case Sprint has more problems in the upcoming future. Sprint is trying to either invest or buy a company called Lightsquared that will possible fix the coverage gaps Sprint currently has. The problem is that the technology they use causes interference, or so they say with Sat GPS responders at up to 10 miles from the transmitted sites.

Here's more on the topic...

Sprint Said to Be Close to $20 Billion LightSquared Accord - Bloomberg

LightSquared's Wireless Network Interferes With GPS - WSJ.com

It's a tad out of my area of expertise, but I get the general feel of what they are talking about, but it does raise some concern about the future of Sprint, which is why "I'm" not ready to sign a new 2 year yet...
Old 06-07-2011, 02:48 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

I like keyboard phones..aside from me NEEDING them to use RDP..I actually enjoy surfing the web with my epic!...see by sldiing out the keyboard an surfing I have a none obstructive we surfing experience..no keyboard less phone can ever replicate this :/..and dont get me wrong..I mostly use the onscreen kb..and prob use the atual kb less then 10% of the time..but that 10% makes SUCH a huge deal the a kb phone is just vital...

I am hoping maybe with SGS2 having USB Host support that someone invents a snapon back cover keyboard..that would be cool...and only way id buy a kbless phone

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G