PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2010, 01:42 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

sl8763 is keeping up the good worksl8763 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How's the durability of the TP2 so far?

Hey all,

I'm considering getting the TP2 and I'm just curious what hardware problems have come up, if anything. I'm mainly worried about the keyboard lasting, because my last two phones have been HTC devices (XV6700 and the Mogul) and both keyboards eventually crapped out, with the keys refusing to work. Has anyone experienced any hardware issues?

Searched and couldn't find any big complaint threads, but I'm just wondering if there's something I missed. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-31-2010, 01:46 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO

rushco is halfway to VIP status based on reprushco is halfway to VIP status based on reprushco is halfway to VIP status based on reprushco is halfway to VIP status based on reprushco is halfway to VIP status based on reprushco is halfway to VIP status based on reprushco is halfway to VIP status based on reprushco is halfway to VIP status based on reprushco is halfway to VIP status based on reprushco is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/5.0.3521/1114; U; en) Presto/2.4.15)

After 6 months or so it is like a brick. This sucker has taken a couple falls and keeps going. No protection at all and kept in my pocket.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:46 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Threadstarter

sl8763 is keeping up the good worksl8763 is keeping up the good work
Re: How's the durability of the TP2 so far?

Thanks for the reply rushco. Good to know - I try to be careful, but stuff happens.

I did some more searching and found a few threads - seems like the USB connector is a bit touchy. My Mogul and XV6700 were like that too.

I'd still welcome any input on what the "dealbreakers" are, if there's anything like that.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:49 PM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

put it this way; i bought a tp new. sprint gave me a tp2 for it. i've had the same tp2 since october, i had 9 tps, 5 in the 1st 6 months!
Old 03-31-2010, 01:50 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: Sprint Advantage Club

neudof is halfway to VIP status based on repneudof is halfway to VIP status based on repneudof is halfway to VIP status based on repneudof is halfway to VIP status based on repneudof is halfway to VIP status based on repneudof is halfway to VIP status based on repneudof is halfway to VIP status based on repneudof is halfway to VIP status based on repneudof is halfway to VIP status based on repneudof is halfway to VIP status based on repneudof is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl8763 View Post
Ah, did some more searching and found a few threads.

I'd still welcome any input on what the "dealbreakers" are, if there's anything like that.
While none of these are deal breakers they are annoying to me..
  • No Flash for camera
  • No Ctrl, Alt, or Tab keys (sprint)
  • No Radio (Sprint)
  • Reset button under the battery cover
  • Power button (I always turn off the screen when typing with the hardware keyboard)
Old 03-31-2010, 01:53 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Treo 700wx/800w/HTC TP/TP2/HD2
Carrier: Sprint/Tmobile

Improve is halfway to VIP status based on repImprove is halfway to VIP status based on repImprove is halfway to VIP status based on repImprove is halfway to VIP status based on repImprove is halfway to VIP status based on repImprove is halfway to VIP status based on repImprove is halfway to VIP status based on repImprove is halfway to VIP status based on repImprove is halfway to VIP status based on repImprove is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via MSN to Improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.8820 View Post
put it this way; i bought a tp new. sprint gave me a tp2 for it. i've had the same tp2 since october, i had 9 tps, 5 in the 1st 6 months!
Same here I agree with this statement 100% except I stoped dealing with the original TP and called sprint retentions after my second one gave me issues, thats how I got my TP2 for free as well.

Very solid device as Hardware goes. I have flashed the device more times than I can remember and no issues of yet either.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:56 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by neudof View Post
  • Reset button under the battery cover
  • Power button (I always turn off the screen when typing with the hardware keyboard)
I drilled a small hole in the battery cover (& also my Seidio Innocase) to solve the first problem.

There is a software solution in the stickies for the 2nd problem (that drove me nuts too)

~John
Old 03-31-2010, 01:58 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by neudof View Post
  • No Ctrl, Alt, or Tab keys (sprint)
that is fixable with the keyboard remapper app.

~John
Old 03-31-2010, 01:58 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

BlaqMogul is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to BlaqMogul

There are some (understatement) lag issues with the new Official Sprint ROM (6.5). My advice will be to unlock the TP 2 and download http://http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/sho...d.php?t=115405. Its based off the stock 6.5 ROM.....its ALOT more responsive.

*my two cents*
Old 03-31-2010, 02:03 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Droid Incredible & HTC Touch Pro 2

QMeli907 knows their stuffQMeli907 knows their stuffQMeli907 knows their stuffQMeli907 knows their stuffQMeli907 knows their stuffQMeli907 knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to QMeli907 Send a message via Yahoo to QMeli907

As for hardware problems, I had the microphone go out on my first phone in October. I had the rainbow banding in the screen in January. And now I'm on my third Touch Pro 2 with the rainbow banding again. Going to Verizon this Saturday and they will be shipping me yet another refurb (4) promptly after. Go with insurance for sure and you should be fine. As for keyboard, it has been great. No keyboard problems, just the mic and 2 bad screens. Good Luck!

Don't click me

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2