PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Imagio
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2010, 12:16 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio
Carrier: Verizon

johncal is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Stuck buttons

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisquinn_99@YAHOO.COM View Post
I have also experienced the broken button issue several times on several new and refurbished imagios. Finally, I got fed up (again) and called tech support. I told them that I was about to leave Verizon regardless of the ETF, if I couldn't have a reliable working phone. I've been a customer since before it was Verizon and explained to them how stupid it would be to lose a customer over this. I told them that I didn't expect a new phone, but I did expect a different, comparable phone. The agreed to send me a samsung omnia 2. They are also sending me a new battery, phones cover, and wall charge for the omnia 2 in exchange for my imagio accessories. It should get here tomorrow. I told them I would be ok with the original droid as well, but apparently it is not part of their "upgrade" matrix to go from windows mobile to android. I hope this helps someone. I love htc and think everything they do is innovative, but the software doesn't matter if they can't get the hardware right.
Much nicer phone once you get used to things all being in a totally different place. Verizon did the same swap for me. I'm very happy with the O2. Not nearly as many hacks, etc out there for it, but a lot of my imagio stuff works on it!
Old 09-14-2010, 07:42 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Incredible

yatman60 is becoming a great contributor

So I finally got fed up enough to NOT wait for HTC's big announcement tomorrow and I went ahead and got the Incredible. Aside from battery life, and not having any idea about how to synch music, pictures, etc or knowing anything about android, it's a pretty sweet phone.

That said, I saw the post about cracking open the imagio and my replacement unit came in today. I might just have to do that with the replacement unit and see what's what inside. If there's something I can do to solidfy those buttons then I MIGHT take the Incredible back (and pay the darn $35 restocking fee). It'll mostly depend on IF HTC has anything significant to announce tomorrow.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:26 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Ozone,Diam,Imagio,TPro2,Opt-S,EVO,3VO,E4GT
Carrier: Boost (CDMA)

m4f1050 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularm4f1050 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularm4f1050 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularm4f1050 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularm4f1050 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Here is what HTC responded to me when I asked about the stuck key and possible warranty:

Code:
Dear xxxxxxxxxxx,

I understand how frustrating it can be when you have keys on your device not
functioning properly. With a hardware issue like this, the best course of action
is to have the device repaired. We have a repair shop that would be able to
repair your device. HTC CDMA Repair’s number is 1-800-229-1235. The hours
of operation for HTC CDMA Repair are Monday through Friday 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM EST.

To send a reply to this message or let me know I have successfully answered
your question log in to our ContactUs site using your email address and your
ticket number #################.

Sincerely,

Philip

HTC
....And I get another response when I explained that MANY MANY of us are having these issues and that it is a hardware defect or engineering rather than damages created by users in a long period of time, which this happens quite fast in the phone's life time....

Code:
Dear xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,

I do understand your frustration and your position here. To harken back to your
first email, if it were an issue that was being experienced on a large number
or even the majority of devices there would be a possibility of a recall, but the
fact remains that it is not an issue commonly reported to us. An issue being
reported by many users on a forum does not help us to track any issues in case
of trends, which there possibly may be from what you have reported. You asked
about having the device replaced for a device of equal value; you would have
to contact Verizon about that as they are the only ones who can replace a
phone, whether it be for the same device or a different one. As for the price
of the device, I imagine that the device costs less now because it has been
out for quite some time and there are newer devices, not because it has issues
"everybody" knows about. In any case, our repair department is in place specifically
for "manufacturing defects"; this is what the manufacturer's warranty is for.
If the device is still covered under warranty, our repair department can fix it for
you with little to no cost, just as you requested in the original email. HTC CDMA
Repair’s number is 1-800-229-1235. The hours of operation for HTC CDMA Repair
are Monday through Friday 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM EST. I apologize for any
inconvenience you may have experienced.

To send a reply to this message or let me know I have successfully
answered
ticket number ################.

Sincerely,

Philip

HTC
....so what's going on here? Verizon is keeping a lid to this and not reporting what's happening? I am sure HTC gets a lot of these, I mean, c'mon, who is repairing all these phones???? I think we *ALL* have to address this issue with HTC in order for them to recall these phones and give us something the same value or even better for the trouble we have gone through!
Old 09-22-2010, 01:41 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Incredible

yatman60 is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4f1050 View Post
Here is what HTC responded to me when I asked about the stuck key and possible warranty:

Code:
Dear xxxxxxxxxxx,

I understand how frustrating it can be when you have keys on your device not
functioning properly. With a hardware issue like this, the best course of action
is to have the device repaired. We have a repair shop that would be able to
repair your device. HTC CDMA Repair’s number is 1-800-229-1235. The hours
of operation for HTC CDMA Repair are Monday through Friday 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM EST.

To send a reply to this message or let me know I have successfully answered
ticket number #################.

Sincerely,

Philip

HTC
....And I get another response when I explained that MANY MANY of us are having these issues and that it is a hardware defect or engineering rather than damages created by users in a long period of time, which this happens quite fast in the phone's life time....

Code:
Dear xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,

I do understand your frustration and your position here. To harken back to your
first email, if it were an issue that was being experienced on a large number
or even the majority of devices there would be a possibility of a recall, but the
fact remains that it is not an issue commonly reported to us. An issue being
reported by many users on a forum does not help us to track any issues in case
of trends, which there possibly may be from what you have reported. You asked
about having the device replaced for a device of equal value; you would have
to contact Verizon about that as they are the only ones who can replace a
phone, whether it be for the same device or a different one. As for the price
of the device, I imagine that the device costs less now because it has been
out for quite some time and there are newer devices, not because it has issues
"everybody" knows about. In any case, our repair department is in place specifically
for "manufacturing defects"; this is what the manufacturer's warranty is for.
If the device is still covered under warranty, our repair department can fix it for
you with little to no cost, just as you requested in the original email. HTC CDMA
Repair’s number is 1-800-229-1235. The hours of operation for HTC CDMA Repair
are Monday through Friday 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM EST. I apologize for any
inconvenience you may have experienced.

To send a reply to this message or let me know I have successfully
answered
ticket number ################.

Sincerely,

Philip

HTC
....so what's going on here? Verizon is keeping a lid to this and not reporting what's happening? I am sure HTC gets a lot of these, I mean, c'mon, who is repairing all these phones???? I think we *ALL* have to address this issue with HTC in order for them to recall these phones and give us something the same value or even better for the trouble we have gone through!

I totally agree. I got so fed up dealing with this issue and 5 or 6 phones later just gave up altogether. I got the same response - we haven't heard of this issue yadda yadda yadda. LAME. I got my replacement phone from warranty and will probably just sell it on ebay for 50 bucks and see what i can get for it. I ended up buying the Incredible as a holdover until the WINMO7 phones start hitting Verizon next year.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:29 AM
Halfway to VIP Status

m4f1050 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularm4f1050 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularm4f1050 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularm4f1050 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularm4f1050 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Unfortunately nobody cares enough to start a petition or start complaining to HTC about this. Like the tech support guy said,.. they havent received enough complaints...so let's give 'em to them!!!
Old 09-22-2010, 10:01 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Imagio

gcianc is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Unfortunately nobody cares enough to start a petition or start complaining to HTC about this. Like the tech support guy said,.. they havent received enough complaints...so let's give 'em to them!!!
This highlights the problem with carrier specific (nevermind CDMA) phones. This is ultimately a Verizon issue since they sold the phone exclusively (HTC made for Verizon, sold it to Verizon not customers). Each Imagio has a "Verizon" logo front and center.

Even if it were sold direct by HTC there probably aren't enough users to get their attention and many are tekkie geeks who already moved on to their next new toy.

Since Verizon is replacing them (thru Nov) at no cost to the user what really do you expect from HTC? It's not like HTC makes another/better WM device on CDMA.
#1 smartphone annoyance: wasting 40% of home screen on a clock.
FINALLY! - with Windows Phone 7 Series... we are taking accountability for the entire experience. That means you will not see layers, like HTC Sense or TouchFLO built on top of the UI by OEMs or MOs (mobile operators). - Aaron Woodman, Microsoft Director of Consumer Experiences
Old 09-22-2010, 10:19 AM
Halfway to VIP Status

I understand that, but it's a defect or a bad engineering (which is HTC the fabricator)

The tech support said if a flag was raised (by many customers complaining) that they would recall them, which then you could get it replaced or the defect repaired which is what I really would like. I love the device, but with buttons breaking all the time it frustrate me.

I am going to ask a friend that has Verizon to connect the phone on his account, get a replacement then sell it because I don't see us winning this battle....
Old 09-22-2010, 10:34 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Imagio

gcianc is becoming a great contributor

It's made to spec for Verizon. What is interesting is.....

The sibling TP2 (all carriers) has 4 buttons.

Verizon wanted the 5th "media" button on Imagio for the lame VCAST service.

It's possible HTC support has not flagged this issue as out of the norm. For example, I returned 4 imagios to VERIZON but never corresponded with HTC.

Quote:
I understand that, but it's a defect or a bad engineering (which is HTC the fabricator)

The tech support said if a flag was raised (by many customers complaining) that they would recall them, which then you could get it replaced or the defect repaired which is what I really would like. I love the device, but with buttons breaking all the time it frustrate me.

I am going to ask a friend that has Verizon to connect the phone on his account, get a replacement then sell it because I don't see us winning this battle....
Old 09-22-2010, 10:37 AM
Halfway to VIP Status

Exactly... Verizon is somehow taking the blame for this, which affects some of us that have the device and not their service.... Meh...
Old 09-27-2010, 02:02 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: alltel

mr_valingo is a n00b

well i've skimmed through this thread and no one has mentioned why this happens. little dissappointed but i have disassembled my imagio and its just a piece of plastic between the metal button on the circuit board and the actual button we all see. this peice of plastic comes unglued and uncentered taking away the buttons "click". nothing is actually stuck down.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Imagio