PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2009, 12:15 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Fuze
Carrier: AT&T

Hafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Warez Vs. Tethering

Quote:
am i making any progress with you guys yet???
The progress you are seeking from "us" does not matter. Whether we agree or disagree with you is irrelevant. If you feel strongly enough about this to get it removed from the site, your conversation would be best directed at the powers that be. They are the ones who are liable for information on the site, not the rest of us. I'm not saying this discussion needs to be closed or anything, but it may have been better directed towards them, rather than the masses, to begin with since they are the people who are ultimately responsible.

Having problems finding what you're looking for? Here are some tips on how to search the site more effectively.

Last edited by Hafrust; 02-23-2009 at 12:18 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:17 PM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

And it ignores the point completely and demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of the actual issue. Read the DMCA link I posted.

A registry edit is not a crack or hack.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:19 PM
Jedi Master
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

Darkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on rep

i agree with schettj, warez is considered copyright infringement, i.e. downloading and using adobe photoshop from bittorrent. What a lot of tethering software does isn't necessarily 'warez,' but could have questionable legality issues. At worst would be considered theft of service.

Allowing copyright infringement leaves the website susceptible to DMCA takedown notices. Something like regedits should theoretically be allowed under freedom of speech laws, i.e. the whole AACS encryption key scandal with HD-DVDs. Movies weren't actively traded on websites that were served with DMCA notices. It was the act of having the encryption key up that caused the takedown notices. Eventually the HD-DVD consortium backed down. Having a website up telling you how to steal cable isn't illegal, but the end-action of actually stealing cable would be. Or at least breaking of a contract, which would be civil and not criminal in nature.

Last edited by Darkjedi; 02-23-2009 at 12:27 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:35 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Mogul and Touch Pro
Threadstarter

crazychef is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcrazychef is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcrazychef is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via MSN to crazychef Send a message via Skype™ to crazychef

Quote:
Originally Posted by schettj View Post
And it ignores the point completely and demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of the actual issue. Read the DMCA link I posted.

A registry edit is not a crack or hack.
dude, you know how long it took me to type that out.. i mean come seriously.. give me a break, 2 pages of thread went thrugh while i was doing that.. christ.. get off it... you guys tell ME im beating this to death, but everyone wants individual responses to your posts from me...

so tell me this since you really seem to be the one hell bent on bringing me down and all.. give me any reasonable excuse for the post with links i put up..

nothing you say will justify anyhting.. your grasping at air man..

its wrong, its stealing, its a clear vilolation of our TOS', its malicious, its intentional, it is or isnt in warez catagory, but the fact that the argument can be so close to being one way or the other should mean it gets banned all by itself.. obviously carrier are starting to pay attention to whats going on now a day.. JUicy, shazaam, telus text to the one dude on here... all those were within like the last month right?

just justify man thats all..

and 'take it to the mods, take it to the mods"... do u just go submit a bill to be p***** in effect? no. you have town hall meetings, and do radio shows, write articles, get on tv, get some clout, some support behind you... then you goto the right people..

thats all im doing, hodling a public forum, to try to gain SUPPORT for my cause..
"Lose?..I Dont Lose!.....I Win.....I Win.....Im a Lawyer, Thats My Job and Thats What I Do" -Keanu Reeves "Devils Advocate"
Old 02-23-2009, 12:38 PM
Jedi Master

Darkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Freedom of speech is protected under the First Amendment of the US Constitution
Old 02-23-2009, 12:43 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

crazychef is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcrazychef is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcrazychef is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkjedi007 View Post
Freedom of speech is protected under the First Amendment of the US Constitution
im gonna get in trouble for saying this, but uhh, wow, did u think that up all by yourself.. did i tell him he cant post an opinion, i did ask one guy to leave and retacted stating i, in fact, knew he had every right to be here and to voice the opinion he wanted.. so why man, why even try to post something like that.. its just irrelevant to the topic
Old 02-23-2009, 12:47 PM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazychef View Post
so tell me this since you really seem to be the one hell bent on bringing me down and all.. give me any reasonable excuse for the post with links i put up..

nothing you say will justify anyhting.. your grasping at air man..
DMCA is the only thing a forum in the USA legally needs to comply with.

No air grasping.

That's the reason for the rules. Understand the DMCA and you'll understand the rules.

I am not hell bent on bringing you down. I don't really care.

WE ARE NOT DISCUSSING MORAL OR LEGAL ISSUES OF WHAT PEOPLE DO.

The only thing we are discussing is what is or is not tolerated on this forum.
There are LEGAL limits which apply (DMCA is the one that takes down a site)
There are WHATEVER the site owner decides limits as well. It's not a public site, so none of those free speech things apply. The site owner is free to censor as s/he sees fit, and to delegate that authority to "admins".

Here, let me help you see the key point, which you seem to be missing:

WE ARE NOT DISCUSSING MORAL OR LEGAL ISSUES OF WHAT PEOPLE DO.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:48 PM
Jedi Master

It's relevant because talking about ICS registry edits isn't prosecutable under criminal or civil law. That's the reason why PPCGeeks doesn't disallow such talk. It disallows talk of warez because that is directly addressed by the DMCA, which trumps the First Amendment, as schettj has been diligently trying to tell you about. Since tethering is not copyright infringment and only theft of service, talk of it is legal and protected by the First Amendment.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:50 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

so the links, where someone gave resco bubles or what ever the f. and distrubitng shazaam is ok too?
Old 02-23-2009, 12:55 PM
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazychef View Post
so the links, where someone gave resco bubles or what ever the f. and distrubitng shazaam is ok too?
Although I can't speak for the mods, I'm sure they have tried their best to comply with DMCA regulations since those matters regard copyrighted materials. They have already made it abundantly clear that warez is already disallowed.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions