View Single Post
Old 02-23-2009, 12:19 PM
Darkjedi
Jedi Master

Darkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Warez Vs. Tethering

i agree with schettj, warez is considered copyright infringement, i.e. downloading and using adobe photoshop from bittorrent. What a lot of tethering software does isn't necessarily 'warez,' but could have questionable legality issues. At worst would be considered theft of service.

Allowing copyright infringement leaves the website susceptible to DMCA takedown notices. Something like regedits should theoretically be allowed under freedom of speech laws, i.e. the whole AACS encryption key scandal with HD-DVDs. Movies weren't actively traded on websites that were served with DMCA notices. It was the act of having the encryption key up that caused the takedown notices. Eventually the HD-DVD consortium backed down. Having a website up telling you how to steal cable isn't illegal, but the end-action of actually stealing cable would be. Or at least breaking of a contract, which would be civil and not criminal in nature.

Last edited by Darkjedi; 02-23-2009 at 12:27 PM.