PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2009, 05:37 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

kinesis is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Warez Vs. Tethering

theres a difference between letter of the law, and spirit of the law.. the letter of the law is - warez copyrighted software is illegal to distribute without permission of the author

the spirit of the law says it is wrong to tether sprints service without adding phone as a modem to your plan

basically, there is no LETTER of US (or any country) law stating its illegal to give proof of concept knowledge on how to circumvent sprint and tether off your phone, it may be unethical, it may seem wrong, but there is nothing illegal about spreading this information

copyrighted software remains illegal, however.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:37 PM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

I'm not using WmWifiRouter, why should I read that again?
Old 02-23-2009, 05:41 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo 4g & TP 2
Carrier: Dan.

coolwhip1220 is halfway to VIP status based on repcoolwhip1220 is halfway to VIP status based on repcoolwhip1220 is halfway to VIP status based on repcoolwhip1220 is halfway to VIP status based on repcoolwhip1220 is halfway to VIP status based on repcoolwhip1220 is halfway to VIP status based on repcoolwhip1220 is halfway to VIP status based on repcoolwhip1220 is halfway to VIP status based on repcoolwhip1220 is halfway to VIP status based on repcoolwhip1220 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hafrust View Post
Without being nasty to one another? What thread have you been reading?
Exactly. Now my $.02...........

I use the reg edit. Can we call this thread what it is? The OP posting a "legitamate question", not looking for an argument? Really? No, all the OP wants to do is argue. Tethering is like his kryptonite, I've read his posts in many a tethering thread, it is his pet peeve. He hates that fact that there's 20 threads a day on the subject, and is looking to vent, or find a reason why the mods should not allow them at all.

And yes, I agree with you that using the reg edit is stealing. Using a service and not paying for it is stealing IMO. But am I going to continue to do it. Hell yes, with a big ole smile on my face.

But crazychef, don't say you don't weren't trying to start an arguement....you've responded to almost every thread where someone disagrees with you and in many respond in a pretty degrading manner. What are you looking to get out of this thread? Is there even a f'n point to it anymore?

Old 02-23-2009, 05:42 PM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schettj View Post
I'm not using WmWifiRouter, why should I read that again?
there is something about ics. i am not posting things just to keep fighting. the op asked and now i am asking what the difference is. i don't care about the stealing and all that, to each his own. but i tried to hook my phone(pro) to a lappy and selected phone as modem and it didn't work.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:58 PM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr8820 View Post
there is something about ics. i am not posting things just to keep fighting. the op asked and now i am asking what the difference is. i don't care about the stealing and all that, to each his own. but i tried to hook my phone(pro) to a lappy and selected phone as modem and it didn't work.
Pilot error? Who knows. I had no trouble with it. Others don't either. But some do.

Could be anything. And I'm not fighting, just trying to answer this question. The question keeps changing every time I answer it, but I'm game.

One good thing came out of this, we all should be more diligent about mentioning that TOS disclaimer, if only to be sure folks who do start tethering w/o PAM do so with full knowledge that they may be violating their TOS. Because clearly people don't understand that.

Beyond that, it's not up to me police others. They're grownups, they can make their own choices.

I choose life!

Shall we beat this dead horse some more? I think I still see a bit of tail hair over here...
Old 02-23-2009, 06:07 PM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schettj View Post
Shall we beat this dead horse some more? I think I still see a bit of tail hair over here...
naw my man, stick a fork in me. but i have enjoyed the conversation and i might come back and visit this thread if it doesn't get closed.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:14 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: EVO

edufur is keeping up the good workedufur is keeping up the good workedufur is keeping up the good work

i say we hijack this thread and talk about pop-tarts... or petition that it get closed.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:16 PM
Jedi Master
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

Darkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on rep

And so the PAM crusades begin!

ICS hacking/tethering is like downloading mp3's. Most of the people here do it and most of the time the companies don't care or look for it. Doesn't make it any less wrong, but to most of us it's just like, whatever, who cares. Just so long as you're not one of the unlucky ones to get axed.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:22 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: EVO

edufur is keeping up the good workedufur is keeping up the good workedufur is keeping up the good work

the hack is legit and necessary if you are paying for PAM + using a custom ROM. If using stock / PAM, tethering works... but if you overwrite stock + PAM with cooked + NO ICS, tethering will not work unless you take extra steps. this is really just the most convenient way. bottom line... not illegal to build in the capability... and ONLY a matter of ethics and service contract beyond that.

NOW.... lets talk about pop-tarts.

NO... lets shut this mutha down.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:37 PM
Gettin' Freaky With It
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S5/iPad Air 2
Carrier: Big Red

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to rainfreak

I really like the Brown Sugar and Cinnamon Pop Tarts.

I really dislike members like the OP who post threads because they just want to stir the sh*t up and cause problems.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions