PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2009, 11:32 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy SIII
Carrier: Straight Talk

DarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Warez Vs. Tethering

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28marols1 View Post
and again, you missed my point. we can talk about doing it all we want. actually doing it is another matter, and PPCGeeks as a site is not responsible for what we actually do. discussing it is NOT BREAKING THE LAW!
and is discussing warez breaking the law or simply breaking site rules? i'm so confused now i don't know.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:34 AM
VIP Member

DarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIP

Quote:
my "valid point" is that it is not breaking the law to discuss how to do something that could make somebody be in breach of their contract.

Breaking a carriers "rule" about something is much different than breaking a law.

that makes sense, actually. but you're still stealing from the carrier so in that sense, you're still breaking a law, are you not?
Old 02-23-2009, 11:35 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Palm Pre baby!
Carrier: Sprint

z28marols1 is keeping up the good workz28marols1 is keeping up the good work

Thanks for the oppertunity to discuss with the fam a subject that we aparently are all very passionate about in one way or another. I have spoken my piece, however it seems all of us are just going in cicles around one another. It is, in the end, up to the mods and admin to determine what they will and will not allow on this site; and i of course would respect that decision as a user of this site. I will no longer be following this thread as i'm going to put my time back into enjoying the use of my device. Good luck to all!

Last edited by z28marols1; 02-23-2009 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:39 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Palm Pre baby!

z28marols1 is keeping up the good workz28marols1 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwcj63 View Post
that makes sense, actually. but you're still stealing from the carrier so in that sense, you're still breaking a law, are you not?
ok, one last comment to clarify my point.

yes, you are still breaking a law (by breaching your contract, only a legal issue if sprint or your carrier dicides to call you on it). however, it is not illegal to discuss it.

tethering itself is not illegal. there is no law against tethering like there is against ESN cloning or copyright infringement. Tethering is only a small theft of service (i call it small because you're still paying for service, just not all of it) according to the contract between you and your carrier... but that is it exactly. its between you and your carrier.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:39 AM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwcj63 View Post
ICS is NOT free with Sprint. I called last nite to verify - twice. There is an additional $15/month charge.
The ICS Software is included in the ROM - the SOFTWARE is FREE and/or YOU ALREADY PAID FOR IT

Man, what is wrong with people's reading comprehension on this thread?

You can edit your REGISTRY all you want. Check with sprint. (edit - changed "rom" to REGISTRY - my bad)

You can use software that comes from Sprint all you want.

You can (I know its gonna hurt, but THINK...) violate your TOS using the stock software supplied by Sprint, with or without editing your registry.

Now, how is this the same as cracking a commercial software package?

Use logic in your proof for extra credit.

For fun, consider this. You pay for your internet at home. You can visit sites using free software, and on those sites (or even via say bittorrent) you can download music and movies that you did not pay for.

You just violated your ISP terms of service, and broke a law or two, and yet you did NOT crack any software nor use warez.

If I told you it was possible to download music and movies on this forum, would that violate the 'no warez' rule?

If I told you that you could go to the pirate bay or use google to find torrents, would that violate the rule?

Would that make it ANY MORE LEGAL? No. But it does not expose ppcgeeks to any liability.

This topic is funny. Like trying to teach a pig to fly.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:43 AM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

I believe it is illegal to discuss cracking or hacking commercial code, or breaking encryption

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital..._Copyright_Act

Title II is where PPCGeeks must not allow cracks/warez....

The defense rests.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:44 AM
SuperNoob
Pocket PC: iPhone 5s
Carrier: TMobile

rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level

It's kinda like the cable company. They used to charge for every TV you had it connected to. Now they only charge for service to your house. That's the way it outta be, but they still have different services available...

Old 02-23-2009, 11:56 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schettj View Post
The ICS Software is included in the ROM - the SOFTWARE is FREE and/or YOU ALREADY PAID FOR IT

Man, what is wrong with people's reading comprehension on this thread?

You can edit your REGISTRY all you want. Check with sprint. (edit - changed "rom" to REGISTRY - my bad)

You can use software that comes from Sprint all you want.

You can (I know its gonna hurt, but THINK...) violate your TOS using the stock software supplied by Sprint, with or without editing your registry.

Now, how is this the same as cracking a commercial software package?

Use logic in your proof for extra credit.

For fun, consider this. You pay for your internet at home. You can visit sites using free software, and on those sites (or even via say bittorrent) you can download music and movies that you did not pay for.

You just violated your ISP terms of service, and broke a law or two, and yet you did NOT crack any software nor use warez.

If I told you it was possible to download music and movies on this forum, would that violate the 'no warez' rule?

If I told you that you could go to the pirate bay or use google to find torrents, would that violate the rule?

Would that make it ANY MORE LEGAL? No. But it does not expose ppcgeeks to any liability.

This topic is funny. Like trying to teach a pig to fly.

i'm not brain dead, i get all that. i just don't see a difference in stealing by not paying the $15/month fee and using a crack instead of purchasing the real software. no matter what, we're going to go round and round over this. and since PPCGeeks are part of my family these days, i'll just say we agree to disagree and call it a day. i've leaned quite a bit in this thread. thanks all.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:04 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Mogul and Touch Pro
Threadstarter

crazychef is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcrazychef is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcrazychef is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via MSN to crazychef Send a message via Skype™ to crazychef

Quote:
typically you have to have the means to actually carry out those plans to be convicted of an attempted conspiracy. and again these laws do not apply here.
having a reg edit cab stored in your system(phone,comp,sd card) or posting it for others, is in fact identifiy that you have the means to carry out the hack
so you cant conspire to use warez?? i will link you to several post right now where people are helping others abtan warez on this site :

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=58780 read the post he is obviously given the software for free through PM from another user, they both should be banned...

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...ighlight=modem this is about ICS, he is telling people he cant get rid of "phone as modem" so his ICS wont work, even though hes done that cab that hacks around this.. the next guy tells him to delete the key entirely and re-enter it manually the hacked way.. this is stating it cant work without changing the settings..

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...ighlight=modem
another tethering... look at post 7 and 9.. OP(#7) is saying he cant get his phone to work as a modem. as he gets the error 67 message from sprint that says your username and password is nvalid or whatnot.. #9 instruction him how a cab fixes that and allow it to work.. again another person who only with the hacks assistance gained ability to tether..

in this one OP asks how to use PAM on his phone, he was gven the reg code.. he then asked, is it detecable by sprint? hes told a post or so down, that as long as he keeps his usuage down, HE WONT GET CAUGHT..

this is from the titan forum, "has anyone bugged sprint about usuing phone as modem" its called.. its states how obviously the stock 6.1 rom has it blocked.. hes told in post #3 "make sure you use the reg hack" and it goes on about whether anyones been charged and such things.. but why is everyone worried about getting charged, if nothing wrong is being done??

i was really lookking for one i saw the other day where it came up.. the OP wanted to know how to tether, he was given wmwifi as an option which he appeared to have interst in.. He was told it was trial, and 30 bucks would eventually be the cost.. a few post later someone tells him about v.8 or v.91 i forget which.. and his next post he asks if someone can give him the cab for either of the freeware apps cuz he doesnt wanna spend the money right now.. so much for supporting developers huh.. nice!

am i getting though now??? all those links were from page 1 of the results page when searching "modem" as "serach titles only"... which btw way is the trick to track down your answer faster by looking in titles anyways(any reading newbies, there ya go, the keys to the castle lol).. and how many results were there with "modem" in the title 176

there was a time when it wasnt talked about all the time... just like when warez were uncommon and easy to get... dont you think its gettign abit out of hand? lets just call it what it is, take our winnings and leave while we can? and get rid of the topic for good.. cuz in fact were stealing.. and we know were avoiding extra costs.. and we think were sneaking around, asking people are they getting in trouble for it, YET i guess seems to be the key word..

am i making any progress with you guys yet???

EDIT: i forgot the best one http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=4763
this is where were told Was removed from site 1/2/09 due to Shazam the makers of SongID served us with DMCA papers. (under investigation tho)

honestly whats the fuss, you can id the song, but on sprint atlest you cant use it to buy the dowload it says it offers) but whatever, theres still 4 versions posted for download in that thread
"Lose?..I Dont Lose!.....I Win.....I Win.....Im a Lawyer, Thats My Job and Thats What I Do" -Keanu Reeves "Devils Advocate"

Last edited by crazychef; 02-23-2009 at 12:09 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:13 PM
VIP Member

ok. now that's some impressive research.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions