PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2009, 07:46 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Htc Evo/Epic
Carrier: Sprint

insomniac is becoming a PPCGeeks regularinsomniac is becoming a PPCGeeks regularinsomniac is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Suggest for Windows Mobile: Official Google Voice App

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
I work in the telecom field and I think the reason why a lot of developers are brushing us to the side is the fact that a lot of them see windows mobile as being on its way out the door. With the iphone being the hottest phone out, blackberry being the standard business phone and android gaining steam...well... it is what it is.
This statement is not true. In 2008, there were more WinMo hansets sold than Iphones. Symbian came in on top with BB under them, this is worlwide, not just in the U.S., which actually makes up a small percentage of smartphones sold. Now with nothing truly new being introduced this year with WinMo, its sales will slump compared with 2008. With the introduction of 3GS (which does add features and a new look and Apple's marketing schemes) sales will rise for Apple with a truly new handset (I personally still think it sucks). Also with HTC'c introduction of Her for the Android platform, sales will rise substantially as this is truly something new and different for Android with more memory, better hardware, sexier hardware, and a very marketable ui called Sense. What is the "hottest" is not necessarily true from the first half of a year to the next halk, and definitely untrue when comes the next year. Now when winmo7 comes, MS better market that OS themselves, and do a good job of it, and not fail a large group of people's expectations beacause of that marketing, like the Iphone has done. I have read many forums on other sites about people dropping the Iphone and going to something else because it did not meet expectations. And to note, I used an Iphone while I was was waiting for my free TP from Sprint when I dropped my Mogul, and during that time I got online so I could find out how to 'jailbreak" that thing, and my friend still left his Iphone, sold it on ebay, saw my TP and he uses the TP for business and this little flip for personal. The Iphone is not all that it is cracked up to be, its a bunch of hype that is well marketed, which by the way is something MS could learn from Apple.
This was meant to be just the first few scentences, then turned out to be more, got a little off topic.

Last edited by insomniac; 07-24-2009 at 08:30 PM.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:21 AM
the World Watcher
Pocket PC: LG Optimus

strra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to strra

suggested
Old 07-25-2009, 02:26 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2

Priest is becoming a great contributor

Suggested. Google, what are you waitng for?!
Old 07-25-2009, 11:14 AM
VW
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

VW is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVW is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVW is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVW is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by strra View Post
suggested

Thata slmost the exact same path I have taken, just throw a Dell X3i inbetween the two dells
Old 07-25-2009, 12:18 PM
VIP Droid
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC EVO 3D
Threadstarter

Genjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuff
Send a message via Skype™ to Genjinaro

LOL there was I time where I thought, nothing would ever be cooler than the Dell X51v. Funny I still have yet to get a phone that passes its 624mhz...
Old 07-27-2009, 01:02 PM
Retired Staff-MordyT.com
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

MordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genjinaro View Post
LOL there was I time where I thought, nothing would ever be cooler than the Dell X51v. Funny I still have yet to get a phone that passes its 624mhz...
the axim x51v forever. Winmo 6.1 runs so well on it. wish my phone was like it :dreams

as for an alternative GV app try my sig for MagiCall
Originally Posted by CozBoogie View Post
5. Everyone who thanks my post will receive instant karma!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers2114 View Post
MordyT is right.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:22 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: None
Carrier: None

thefreeaccount2 is a n00b

It's a tough world for WM developers. They have to rewrite their applications for the new semi-finger-friendly WM6.5 UI, knowing that they'll have to rewrite them again soon since "finger friendly, for real, seriously now" WM7 is just around the corner.

And then there are the handicapped children in the basement...the non-touchscreen WM phones, somehow still oozing from the womb even in this age of the $199 iphone. What are you to do about them? Two versions of the same program? One ugly hack that is functional for both but desirable for neither? Not to mention the infinite permutations of processor speed, available memory, screen size/resolution, and miscellaneous features such as the accelerometer and compass.

WM development will continue to lag until there is a "final solution" to the problem of hardware diversity.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:34 PM
VIP Droid
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC EVO 3D
Threadstarter

Genjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuff
Send a message via Skype™ to Genjinaro

True, they need to narrow-down power and resolutions in Windows Mobile 7, QVGA (like Palm Treo) & WVGA (Touch Diamond2/Pro2) . All should have touch screen support, graphics & all the WVGA devices should have accelerometers and higher RAM.

Of course we know it'll never happen this way sadly... :/
Old 07-27-2009, 03:18 PM
The EVO Guru
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

brownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomniac View Post
This statement is not true. In 2008, there were more WinMo hansets sold than Iphones. Symbian came in on top with BB under them, this is worlwide, not just in the U.S., which actually makes up a small percentage of smartphones sold. Now with nothing truly new being introduced this year with WinMo, its sales will slump compared with 2008. With the introduction of 3GS (which does add features and a new look and Apple's marketing schemes) sales will rise for Apple with a truly new handset (I personally still think it sucks). Also with HTC'c introduction of Her for the Android platform, sales will rise substantially as this is truly something new and different for Android with more memory, better hardware, sexier hardware, and a very marketable ui called Sense. What is the "hottest" is not necessarily true from the first half of a year to the next halk, and definitely untrue when comes the next year. Now when winmo7 comes, MS better market that OS themselves, and do a good job of it, and not fail a large group of people's expectations beacause of that marketing, like the Iphone has done. I have read many forums on other sites about people dropping the Iphone and going to something else because it did not meet expectations. And to note, I used an Iphone while I was was waiting for my free TP from Sprint when I dropped my Mogul, and during that time I got online so I could find out how to 'jailbreak" that thing, and my friend still left his Iphone, sold it on ebay, saw my TP and he uses the TP for business and this little flip for personal. The Iphone is not all that it is cracked up to be, its a bunch of hype that is well marketed, which by the way is something MS could learn from Apple.
This was meant to be just the first few scentences, then turned out to be more, got a little off topic.

Im simply telling you what I hear from the INSIDE. For most developers going forward WinMo is a dinosaur, Iphone is whats hot, BB is the standard business phone and Android is the future. Im not agreeing or disagreeing with it.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:39 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

zero157h7 knows their stuffzero157h7 knows their stuffzero157h7 knows their stuffzero157h7 knows their stuffzero157h7 knows their stuffzero157h7 knows their stuffzero157h7 knows their stuff
Send a message via ICQ to zero157h7 Send a message via AIM to zero157h7 Send a message via MSN to zero157h7 Send a message via Yahoo to zero157h7 Send a message via Skype™ to zero157h7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genjinaro View Post
True, they need to narrow-down power and resolutions in Windows Mobile 7, QVGA (like Palm Treo) & WVGA (Touch Diamond2/Pro2) . All should have touch screen support, graphics & all the WVGA devices should have accelerometers and higher RAM.

Of course we know it'll never happen this way sadly... :/
Actually the requirements on sys soecs for wm7 are pretty decent. I can't remember them exactly but it looked like a step in the right direction for standardizing and making it easier for developers.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software