PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2009, 02:25 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

frazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Why not use push email?

I use push email on my phone via Exchange server 2007 (and soon 2010)...

I'm not sure I understand the point of services like seven. You end up having a useless middleman in the mix. As the seven server will pool your real email server every 5, 10, 20, etc. minutes and then deliver what it finds to your phone instantly. You can setup your phone to do that delayed pull on its own.

Push email is only useful if the server your email is hosted on directly is capable of pushing it. Otherwise you don't have "instant" email and the whole ordeal is worthless.
Free Disposable Email: MyTrashMail
Old 07-12-2009, 11:44 PM
The EVO Guru
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

brownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Yea I setup the sprint push mail with my yahoo account and I really dont see much of a difference from when I had the regular imap set to check every 15 minutes. Definitely isnt immediate though...
Old 07-13-2009, 12:38 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond & Treo 700wx / HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: TELUS / Verizon Wireless

Devileyezz is keeping up the good workDevileyezz is keeping up the good workDevileyezz is keeping up the good work
Send a message via ICQ to Devileyezz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsousan View Post
Like most have mentioned, push email eats up your battery. I have switched mine to every 20 hours. Now my battery will last over 24 hours; when set to push it wouldn't even last 6 hours.
That's the thing though, sneaky technologies where server sends your device an encrypted text that basically says "YO, I have an email waiting for you.. run a send/rcv" is ingenius, because data connection is made only when the device gets the green signal. Those are technologies I want to see in the mainstream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazell View Post
I use push email on my phone via Exchange server 2007 (and soon 2010)...

I'm not sure I understand the point of services like seven. You end up having a useless middleman in the mix. As the seven server will pool your real email server every 5, 10, 20, etc. minutes and then deliver what it finds to your phone instantly. You can setup your phone to do that delayed pull on its own.

Push email is only useful if the server your email is hosted on directly is capable of pushing it. Otherwise you don't have "instant" email and the whole ordeal is worthless.
1) Exchange Server 2007 or 2010 doesn't matter because Windows Mobile (6.1, and 6.5) currently supports ONE ActiveSync account. Meaning no push for more than 1 email a/c. So people usually use their work email for this.

2) Seven actually doesn't poll the servers. The servers send out an "event" to any client (some of them even to a browser) saying new mail has been received. Seven intercepts this, and relays it to the client on the device. This event is what makes your MSN Messenger, or Yahoo Messenger chime saying "You just got mail". No, reality is actual push.. not pull.

While I partly agree with your 3rd statement, I don't think it is even easy to find a server that's "capable" of pushing. Exchange is well known for this, and maybe a few other softwares, but that's about it. Push is very useful in fast-paced business environments and are very appreciated. Personal email is almost on par with "fast-paced" requirements (atleast mine is, lol), so push would be an asset!
Old 07-13-2009, 01:12 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

whoahh is a n00b

I've been currently using Seven since it became available a few months ago. I must say it's pretty sweet. It takes a less that a few mintues to recieve my mail, and it takes much less battery life. I got 4 email accounts synced up to it currently.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:24 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy SIII
Carrier: Straight Talk

DarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIP

i have to admit, i have NO idea how SEVEN works. what i do know is that i don't have push email at my office so i setup outlook to "pull" every 5 minutes. SEVEN on my phone consistantly tells me i have email before my office computer. The only thing about SEVEN that sucks is that i can't sent with my ATT account because ATT somehow has SEVEN blocks for outgoing and SEVEN doesn't allow a different sending server other than that setup by the main account. So my work around is that i have a totally seperate ATT account setup that never never check for email. Once SEVEN tells me i have email on my ATT account and if it's an email i want to return, i switch to the seperate ATT account, pull the email in and return it from there. It's a little hokey but it works.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:34 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Vogue (Sprint)

cymbaliner is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffles View Post
I use nuevasync. I'm part of their private gmail-push beta. It looks promising, still needs some work though, but for the most part it works.
How's the nuevasync-via-exchange push solution affecting your battery life, Baffles?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software