PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Windows Mobile Software (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Why not use push email? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=73661)

rtandon87 07-03-2009 08:27 PM

Why not use push email?

I have been using WM for a long time. Love my Sprint Touch Pro right now. I have truely become a flashaholic. Well, one of the first things that I do when I install a new ROM is install the cab for Seven Push email for my 2 personal gmail accounts and 1 yahoo account. But, I see that a lot of people here do not use any software for pushing their personal email.

So, my question is:
- Do you guys just not have personal email setup on your phone?
- Is there a benefit of not installing Seven push email and setup your accounts using regular poutlook?
- Do you use something else besides Seven for push email? Anything better?
- Does is hurt your battery to have push email setup?

TheRealHotshot 07-03-2009 08:57 PM

Re: Why not use push email?

I have hotmail and gmail both set up on my touch pro. I have hotmail set to come as an email is sent so its just like on my pc and my gmail is set to manually check for new emails every 5 mins and for the most part my batt don't take to bad a hit either.

btonetbone 07-03-2009 08:59 PM

On my Titan, I experience poor battery life when I use push. I have it set to check every 30 minutes (3 accounts) and I have had much better battery life.

psycho_maniac 07-03-2009 09:18 PM

i used to have mine set to every 10 mins and had horrible life. i now set it to every 60 mins and get better battery life. im going camping for 2 weeks so ill set it to either manually or every 2 hours. every 5 mins sounds like horrible life but i have the touch pro and that is why i have mine set to every hour.

TheRealHotshot 07-03-2009 10:07 PM

With my gmail to check email every 5mins it don't eat my batt like that. Plus I carry a wall charger and a car charger with me everywhere I go so my batt dying is the last thing on my mind ;)

JickBahTech 07-04-2009 12:13 AM

I use the imap pusher service and get MUCH better battery life than Exchange. Never tried Seven.

Curb71 07-04-2009 06:47 AM

I dont even know what Seven is. I just add my Yahoo account on the email tab. I thought thats what everyone does. Whats the advantage to using "push email"?

psycho_maniac 07-04-2009 11:35 AM

yeah i dont even know what seven is either lol. could you please inform us of what it is?

rtandon87 07-05-2009 12:09 PM

You can go to www.seven.com to learn about Seven. Basically, what Seven is... Its used for pushing your email to your phone. To get the email onto a phone like Touch Pro, one can either use pull email (which comes by defualt using poutlook where after a certain interval, your phone checks for email, sees if a new email arrived and if it did, its fetched on to your phone.) What push email is on the other hand, instead of your phone doing this work all the time of checking for email uselessly (useless when a new email didnt arrive) it basically pushes the email to your phone. The way it does it is through sms gvateway. The Seven sees that a new email has arrived, sends transparent text (you never see it) to inform the phone to fetch the email. The biggest advantage is that you get your email real time - right when it arrives in your inbox.

delawaresace 07-05-2009 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JickBahTech (Post 1013536)
I use the imap pusher service and get MUCH better battery life than Exchange. Never tried Seven.

this is how I've always set up my gmail email on my phone. don't really need anything else. of course I'm not a business mogul that needs email RIGHT NOW to close what ever business deal I'm working on.