PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Windows Mobile Software (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Why not use push email? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=73661)

Carla 07-05-2009 01:01 PM

Re: Why not use push email?

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRealHotshot (Post 1013333)
With my gmail to check email every 5mins it don't eat my batt like that. Plus I carry a wall charger and a car charger with me everywhere I go so my batt dying is the last thing on my mind ;)

Something carrying a purse is great for, bringing along an extra charger!!

Nimdock 07-05-2009 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtandon87 (Post 1013157)
I have been using WM for a long time. Love my Sprint Touch Pro right now. I have truely become a flashaholic. Well, one of the first things that I do when I install a new ROM is install the cab for Seven Push email for my 2 personal gmail accounts and 1 yahoo account. But, I see that a lot of people here do not use any software for pushing their personal email.

So, my question is:
- Do you guys just not have personal email setup on your phone?
- Is there a benefit of not installing Seven push email and setup your accounts using regular poutlook?
- Do you use something else besides Seven for push email? Anything better?
- Does is hurt your battery to have push email setup?

- Yes, I have email setup on my phone.
- I don't like to install extra apps for something that comes built in with the phone.
- I use Sherweb. It is not free though. However, great exchange plan and even better customer service. They truly rock.
- No extra battery drain on my own TP that I can notice.

shaggylive 07-05-2009 07:32 PM

well, if I could ever get my boss's to use email it might change, but nope, I keep getting useless voicemail without any valuable info.

TheRealHotshot 07-05-2009 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlaDarla (Post 1015461)
Something carrying a purse is great for, bringing along an extra charger!!

That's true! Lol but I'm usually by a wall outlet or in a car so I'm straight on the extra batt

livejazz 07-05-2009 08:10 PM

Wanted to use something like Sherweb, 4Smartphone, etc., but I already have enterprise Exchange Push email for work. Only one Exchange account per Windowsphone, unfortunately. I heard that might be changing with WM7, but not certain. Does Seven work around this issue and give you a sort of virtual Exchange by using the SMS gateway?? I would be interested in that. I'm going to take a look. Thanks for the info!

matt

Curb71 07-06-2009 01:00 PM

so If I use Seven and get my emails to my phone in real time and get about 50 emails a day, wouldnt that hurt my battery life alot more then if it just checks every hour or two? I still dont get the point of needing your email checked every 5 minutes or so unless you are a business man type person.

TheRealHotshot 07-06-2009 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curb71 (Post 1017263)
so If I use Seven and get my emails to my phone in real time and get about 50 emails a day, wouldnt that hurt my battery life alot more then if it just checks every hour or two? I still dont get the point of needing your email checked every 5 minutes or so unless you are a business man type person.

Well for me I stay in touch with more ppl via while they at work so I need it popped every 5mins I stay logged on my IM but perfer email cause I can have they delay if I'm busy I hate when someone IM me and I'm busy n they keep IM me cause they think I'm by my phone. But that's just me tho

Devileyezz 07-06-2009 10:02 PM

Personally, this is what I'd NOT like to see in email:

The need to run a client-side app at all times, (ex. Seven) which runs in the background and makes sure it's active to receive the transmission from Seven-server regarding new email. (The technology of it is not clear to me tho, does it maintain a persistent connection to server thereby utilizing periodic data and thereby affecting battery?)

What I'd like:

An Activesync like application that literally takes 5KB or so in RAM and just stays up to "listen for signals", which when it receives one, it will fire up ActiveSync and do a pull. It'd be great if I could sync my GMail, MSN, and corp pop accounts.

I already run Dashwire, and cannot afford to run Seven in the background too! Or else my battery goes down down down.

kimogent 07-06-2009 11:24 PM

check out this thread http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=72923 seems to address alot of your questions and if you look at post #7 there is a REALLY cool app called sprint mail in cab format. its a push mail app and can only be used with one email acct....but for most thats aplenty! ive had it installed for a few days now and can honestly say i have seen ZERO change in my battery life.

hope this helps....if so hit the thanks

Devileyezz 07-07-2009 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimogent (Post 1018676)
check out this thread http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=72923 seems to address alot of your questions and if you look at post #7 there is a REALLY cool app called sprint mail in cab format. its a push mail app and can only be used with one email acct....but for most thats aplenty! ive had it installed for a few days now and can honestly say i have seen ZERO change in my battery life.

hope this helps....if so hit the thanks

I wish to use my MSN, and Google Apps email (which has labels for all other GMails forwarding to it) :(