PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2007, 08:01 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: XV6700

caseys500 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by syrguy1969 View Post
Just download the app this forum is based on, that is exactly what it can do. Windows Live Search can do it as well, I am not sure if it is as good as Googlemaps, but I think it can do what your looking for!
Do you have to be connected to the internet in anyway for it to work. If you dont have to be connected to then that is exactly what I am looking for...
Thanks!
Old 12-04-2007, 08:19 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul, HTC Apache
Carrier: Sprint

jamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to jamesus Send a message via Yahoo to jamesus
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseys500 View Post
Do you have to be connected to the internet in anyway for it to work. If you dont have to be connected to then that is exactly what I am looking for...
Thanks!
Yes, you need an internet connection in order for it to work.

A mass of tears have transformed to stones now sharpened on suffering and woven into slings...
Old 12-04-2007, 11:24 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 4
Carrier: Verizon

syrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Ahhh....OK....got me there....sorry. How about TomTom, I wonder if you could download the software, and use the maps without using the GPS function.

Anyone know if that would work for caseys500?

Old 12-05-2007, 03:49 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

msbullock is just getting started
google says the accuracy on it is bad, but my friends blackberry on sprint had him in the correct corner of his house (30-80 ft accuracy). I hope something happens to make it work for th 6800
Old 12-05-2007, 10:11 AM
VIP Member

syrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Looking for the experts here!!!!

I just ran across this in the Google forums, a couple people got My Location working on T-Mobile DASH. They directed people to this link:

http://mobile.surrealnetworks.com/AppUnlockReg.htm

wanting us to make this reg entry...

In order run unsigned programs you must app unlock your device or add/change the following registry value using PHM Registry Editor for Smartphone or PPC
add HKLM>Security>Policies>Policies
value = 0000101B DWORD = 1

they included a CAB to do it automatically (I will include here as well!!).

I have not tried this, and do not suggest it unless you really know what your doing!!!!!

Which is why I posted it here....could a few of the resident PPC gurus take a look and let the rest of us know what they think...is it safe? Feasible? Should this work?

I look forward to finding out more...thanks guys!!!!
Attached Files
File Type: zip SurrealNetworksAppUnlock.cab.zip (572 Bytes, 13 views) Click for barcode!
Old 12-05-2007, 11:33 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond
Carrier: Bell

goldengraham is becoming a great contributor
I dunno if that cab is for a specific phone but I didn't care. I installed in on my Bell Touch (Vogue) and no go. Still N/A
Old 12-05-2007, 12:03 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: XV6800

ryangod is just getting started
No luck with the reg entry. I applied it, soft reset, and even reinstalled google maps. The search continues.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 4G

Vinny is a n00b
Quote:
In order run unsigned programs you must app unlock your device or add/change the following registry value using PHM Registry Editor for Smartphone or PPC
add HKLM>Security>Policies>Policies
value = 0000101B DWORD = 1
This is actually a well known hack.. doesn't seem to have anything to do with GPS though

1-Unlock Phone (certificate security disabled) rev.1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Policies\Policies\0000 1001 = 2
-> Change the value data from 2 to 1
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Policies\Policies\0000 1005 = 16
-> Change the value data from 16 to 40
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Policies\Policies\0000 1017 = 128
-> Change the value data from 128 to 144
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \Security\Policies\Policies
-> Add new value "0000101b": Dword = 1
Close registry editor and soft reboot.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=5108
Old 12-05-2007, 12:09 PM
VIP Member

I was hoping somebody here would have some information on this. I was hoping (but not expecting) that this would work. Oh well....back to waiting.

(but it is good to know more devices are working with it now, makes the wait seem more bearable!!!! LOL)
Old 12-05-2007, 05:13 PM
Moderator/WMExperts Staff
Pocket PC: Pure, TP2, Snap, Ozone, Intrepid,Treo Pro

Malatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Quote:
I was hoping somebody here would have some information on this. I was hoping (but not expecting) that this would work. Oh well....back to waiting.

(but it is good to know more devices are working with it now, makes the wait seem more bearable!!!! LOL)
Correct. This .cab you posted is for phones that are "software locked" meaning you cannot install non-signed programs. Sprint Moto Q was like this. So you do this hack and you can install any program you want. Signing programs is an expensive process ($400 I believe) and for freeware programs, it's not feasible.

The larger issue of My Location is dependent on Google possible implementing an API for CDMA networks to use their tower triangulation, which of course Sprint and Verizon can do. Whether or not this is possible on WM CDMA devies remains to be seen.

My Advice: If you're a Touch or Mogul owner: wait for your GPS update next year. Treo users should wait for the 800w.

But I highly doubt anyone is going to "hack" this feature. It is more about the phone reporting the Cell ID and pulling Tower ID--these are API and network dependent features, not registry entries that can be turned "on or "off".

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software