PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2007, 05:13 PM
Moderator/WMExperts Staff
Pocket PC: Pure, TP2, Snap, Ozone, Intrepid,Treo Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Malatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by syrguy1969 View Post
I was hoping somebody here would have some information on this. I was hoping (but not expecting) that this would work. Oh well....back to waiting.

(but it is good to know more devices are working with it now, makes the wait seem more bearable!!!! LOL)
Correct. This .cab you posted is for phones that are "software locked" meaning you cannot install non-signed programs. Sprint Moto Q was like this. So you do this hack and you can install any program you want. Signing programs is an expensive process ($400 I believe) and for freeware programs, it's not feasible. Regardless, it is irrelevant for this thread (though I understand you are trying to help, no hard feelings, ).

The larger issue of My Location is dependent on Google possible implementing an API for CDMA networks to use their tower triangulation, which of course Sprint and Verizon can do. Whether or not this is possible on WM CDMA devies remains to be seen.

My Advice: If you're a Touch or Mogul owner: wait for your GPS update next year. Treo users should wait for the 800w. Using GPS instead of "My Location" will give you much better accuracy.

But I highly doubt anyone is going to "hack" this feature. It is more about the phone reporting the Cell ID and pulling Tower ID--these are API and network dependent features, not registry entries that can be turned "on or "off".

Last edited by Malatesta; 12-05-2007 at 05:21 PM.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:18 PM

Malatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Thumbs up Please read. Good stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparPogue View Post
Just to clarify Google MyLocation does not use GPS to estimate your location. A GPS is useless to Google MyLocation. Google MyLocation is to estimate your location WITHOUT a GPS. A GPS is of no consequence to the estimation of your location in reference to Google MyLocation.

Can I say this any other way?

Google MyLocation uses a database of individual IDs from Cell Towers on a GLOBAL level. It IS NOT GLOBAL POSITIONING. The program calculates how many cell towers your handset is in contact with, determines the strength, and ESTIMATES your location within 3 miles. It is NOT AGPS. It is NOT GPS. The purpose of MyLocation is to give you NEIGHBORHOOD LEVEL positioning. Having an actual GPS receiver is a total moot point.

I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but there has been some assumptions about this program without any knowledge of the project itself. This ridiculous considering Google has a white paper published on the program and how it works. It uses your CELLULAR ANTENNA not a GPS antenna.

PS- If MyLocation does not work for you, it is because the database is incomplete. Google is adding new towers as they get the IDs.
Everyone in this thread, please read this above post as it is 100% accurate and very informative. =D>

Cell tower triangulation ≠ GPS or aGPS. The first predates aGPS/GPS and is the whole reason aGPS exists today because cell tower triangulation is not accurate (but better than nothing), just like "My Location" is not that accurate (1/3 to 3 mile accuracy).
Old 12-05-2007, 05:20 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo 3D
Carrier: sprint

ls6tt is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to ls6tt
darn, the 6700 will never see this work.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls6tt View Post
darn, the 6700 will never see this work.
Not true. Unless the 6700 cannot report or read Cell/Tower ID, there is a possibility. No one knows so you'll just have to wait and see what happens when other Sprint phones begin to have this feature available.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:34 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint PCS

psiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuff
Navizon (sorta) works on the 6700 using cell tower trig , so we know the hardware can handle it...
Old 12-07-2007, 07:08 AM
Indigenous Nudist
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

Torx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIP
does anyone have the last stable google maps cab before they went with version 2?
i dont wanna try the new version without having a past build on the side..
Old 12-07-2007, 10:11 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 4
Carrier: Verizon

syrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
I have this one...the modify date is around 6/07....I hope this helps, it was very stable on my WX (of course....so is the new version).
Attached Files
File Type: zip GoogleMaps1202.zip (378.2 KB, 17 views) Click for barcode!

Old 12-09-2007, 07:40 AM
When will then be now?
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Verizon

imneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to imneveral0ne Send a message via MSN to imneveral0ne Send a message via Yahoo to imneveral0ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by psiphi View Post
Navizon (sorta) works on the 6700 using cell tower trig , so we know the hardware can handle it...
navizon doesnt work at all on my touch :-\
Old 02-25-2008, 12:02 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Apache->Mogul->TP2-> EVO 3D

Slwitek is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via MSN to Slwitek Send a message via Yahoo to Slwitek
Re: GoogleMaps Mobile ver 2.0 Now Available

Navizon will not work for me either! I would trust google more I think when and if this ever works for Apaches.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:08 PM
Coz-erator
Pocket PC: Sprint Galaxy Note 2 & other misc digital devices

CozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to CozBoogie Send a message via Yahoo to CozBoogie
Re: GoogleMaps Mobile ver 2.0 Now Available

Google Maps has now updated to version 2.0.1.17.

http://www.google.com/gmm/index.html

late,
Coz

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software