PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Hacks/Tweaks > Pocket PC Themes > WeatherPanel Themes
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2007, 02:53 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Omnia HD
Carrier: ATT

Ncruze is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Ncruze
Hey..I dont know if anyone else noticed..Storyr you can feed in on this also..but phatphinger consumes alot of memory and battery power..I mean most of the time when i wake my computer up from standby, my memory is down to 2 point or 3 point something..and my battery leackage is decreasing at an accelerated rate..This has been happening ever since i downloaded the app..Any general advice or elaborations??
Old 12-16-2007, 01:23 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Motorola Photon & Bravo
Carrier: Sprint & AT&T PAYG

budney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via Yahoo to budney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncruze View Post
Hey..I dont know if anyone else noticed..Storyr you can feed in on this also..but phatphinger consumes alot of memory and battery power..I mean most of the time when i wake my computer up from standby, my memory is down to 2 point or 3 point something..and my battery leackage is decreasing at an accelerated rate..This has been happening ever since i downloaded the app..Any general advice or elaborations??
By chance do you have the time active on your layout &/or in your settings? I think WP likes to get the time from the network if it can. I was having my battery deplete very quickly. After a couple of weeks of switching settings around on various programs, I determined that WP checking the time was the main culprit.

I would like to hear what the WP master storyr has to say. As I may be totally off.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...1249020923.gif http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...1249020658.gif
Old 12-16-2007, 09:34 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: iPhone
Carrier: AT&T
Threadstarter

storyr is a trusted member of the communitystoryr is a trusted member of the communitystoryr is a trusted member of the communitystoryr is a trusted member of the communitystoryr is a trusted member of the communitystoryr is a trusted member of the communitystoryr is a trusted member of the communitystoryr is a trusted member of the communitystoryr is a trusted member of the communitystoryr is a trusted member of the communitystoryr is a trusted member of the community
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by budney View Post
By chance do you have the time active on your layout &/or in your settings? I think WP likes to get the time from the network if it can. I was having my battery deplete very quickly. After a couple of weeks of switching settings around on various programs, I determined that WP checking the time was the main culprit.

I would like to hear what the WP master storyr has to say. As I may be totally off.
This is a good topic. As you know, I've probably spent about as much time messing around with WP as anyone. I don't think WP gets it's time from the network, but from the OS as other apps do. Rationale: It works just fine on pure, radio-less Pocket PC's.

I've been running WeatherPanel for about a year and a half (on the Treo 700wx and the HTC Touch) - and the only time it's given me problems with battery life is when it gets stuck in update mode, such as when the MarsWare site went down. You'll know if this is happening - the battery gets hot!

In my opinion, WP factors that may affect battery: Update frequency, number of cities configured, number of images downloaded and perhaps animated icons.

For me, the factors that affect battery the most are: Phone calls, screen on, lot's of push email, playing music.

Try setting the update frequency to manual or every 4 hours or something - and see if that makes a difference. If not, then I'd say WP is not the culprit. But, I could be wrong...
Old 12-17-2007, 12:04 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Motorola Photon & Bravo
Carrier: Sprint & AT&T PAYG

budney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via Yahoo to budney
Quote:
Originally Posted by storyr View Post
This is a good topic. As you know, I've probably spent about as much time messing around with WP as anyone. I don't think WP gets it's time from the network, but from the OS as other apps do. Rationale: It works just fine on pure, radio-less Pocket PC's.

I've been running WeatherPanel for about a year and a half (on the Treo 700wx and the HTC Touch) - and the only time it's given me problems with battery life is when it gets stuck in update mode, such as when the MarsWare site went down. You'll know if this is happening - the battery gets hot!

In my opinion, WP factors that may affect battery: Update frequency, number of cities configured, number of images downloaded and perhaps animated icons.

For me, the factors that affect battery the most are: Phone calls, screen on, lot's of push email, playing music.

Try setting the update frequency to manual or every 4 hours or something - and see if that makes a difference. If not, then I'd say WP is not the culprit. But, I could be wrong...
For me it must have been a WP glitch after I changed the setting to manual, that is when the clock stopped updating when using KenS's Neon Fusion skin. But since I changed skins I have not had any problems with WP or battery life & have all my settings back to how I originally had them. And it is not so much the music for me that kills the battery life, but listening using A2DP is a major culprit.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:43 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Omnia HD
Carrier: ATT

Ncruze is a n00b
Send a message via Yahoo to Ncruze
hmm.I don't know..I haven't tried manual update or even setting it to update any later then 30 min..I think that would pretty much defeat the purpose of up to the minute weather update. I do have 4 cities added to the database so ill try taking them down
Old 12-17-2007, 09:02 AM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

storyr is a trusted member of the communitystoryr is a trusted member of the communitystoryr is a trusted member of the communitystoryr is a trusted member of the communitystoryr is a trusted member of the communitystoryr is a trusted member of the communitystoryr is a trusted member of the communitystoryr is a trusted member of the communitystoryr is a trusted member of the communitystoryr is a trusted member of the communitystoryr is a trusted member of the community
Quote:
hmm.I don't know..I haven't tried manual update or even setting it to update any later then 30 min..I think that would pretty much defeat the purpose of up to the minute weather update. I do have 4 cities added to the database so ill try taking them down
I agree. I was suggesting the change only as a test to see if it affected the battery consumption...
Old 12-17-2007, 11:32 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 4
Carrier: Verizon

syrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
storyr....I was just wondering.....in the last few posts, we have been discussing WP getting stuck in update mode, and running the battery down. I seem to be getting stuck in this loop all the time lately, and I think (only a theory) that it occurs when I turn my phone radio off for work (I work in a hospital, not much choice) and WP happens to be in the middle of an update at the time. I see WP in update mode for the day, and I sometimes have to do a reset after I turn the radio back on to stop it and do an actual fresh update.

NOW.....My Idea!!!!!!!!

Is it possible....to create a button, or menu choice (where it has the cities and update currently) that can manually stop update on the app? I know it should when it does not detect a data connection, but I think this would enable us to have a low-impact way of averting these constant update mode problems.

I understand if it is not possible, or something you don't want to undertake (especially at this time of year), but I thought I would toss it out there!!!!

Thanks

Old 12-20-2007, 09:40 PM
Lurker

akenis is a n00b
Hey,

Greetings from an old user (pre storyr, pre wp pilot). I left for sbsh wx and played with sbp for a while, but I'm back. Couple of questions:

1. I love the underlying panels of phatfinger (quick access to multiple maps and large buttons), but the today screen look/functionality of chameleon. Any chance of maybe adding a chameleon like today layout to fatfinger and/or fatfinger internal screens to cameleon?

2. I want the weather at airports, ie KBOS KJFK etc. I couldn't find a way to use WP's search function to pull up an airport icao code. Is there any way to use the built in search function? Workaround is to use yahoo wx to see that KJFK is USANYXXXX.

3. A little confused about icons which size to use. Was interested in the Yahoo icons fro the wicki, but don't know what size to get...

Thanks a lot. Love the new look/feel to an old good program.

Drew
Old 12-21-2007, 02:09 AM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by syrguy1969 View Post
Is it possible....to create a button, or menu choice (where it has the cities and update currently) that can manually stop update on the app? I know it should when it does not detect a data connection, but I think this would enable us to have a low-impact way of averting these constant update mode problems.
There's no way to alter the internal workings of the WeatherPanel program. The only way to stop it would be to kill a running process or something.

BTW - For me, the "hot battery" scenario is very rare - it's only happened to me twice...
Old 12-21-2007, 02:18 AM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by akenis View Post
Hey,

Greetings from an old user (pre storyr, pre wp pilot). I left for sbsh wx and played with sbp for a while, but I'm back. Couple of questions:

1. I love the underlying panels of phatfinger (quick access to multiple maps and large buttons), but the today screen look/functionality of chameleon. Any chance of maybe adding a chameleon like today layout to fatfinger and/or fatfinger internal screens to cameleon?
Welcome back! Yes, (shameless self-promotion) the PhatPhinger popup windows are the best around! It would be fairly easy to attach these to the Chameleon theme.

Quote:
2. I want the weather at airports, ie KBOS KJFK etc. I couldn't find a way to use WP's search function to pull up an airport icao code. Is there any way to use the built in search function? Workaround is to use yahoo wx to see that KJFK is USANYXXXX.
The WeatherPanel submits the search requests to weather.com, which provides the results. WP will only support what weather.com supports, and personally, I haven't tried airport codes...

Quote:
3. A little confused about icons which size to use. Was interested in the Yahoo icons fro the wicki, but don't know what size to get...
The PhatPhinger QVGA Icons, for use with the PhatPhinger I theme, are the Yahoo icons.

PhatPhinger II supports any "standard" sized icon set (which Yahoo isn't)...
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Hacks/Tweaks > Pocket PC Themes > WeatherPanel Themes