PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan > Titan Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2007, 11:22 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

elgreek84 is keeping up the good workelgreek84 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm still too scared to try. Are you experiencing better ram usage? what do you hover at most of the day? i'm at 17mb
Old 10-08-2007, 11:29 PM
*SCREEEEEECH*
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

EtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuff
No, I dumped the WM6 ROMs altogether and went back to WM5 Alltel.

Both Sprint and Alltel have the leak which just isn't good enough for me. Its immediately apparent... you don't even need to use it for long for it to start happening... I opened up about 10 apps with 26MB free, closed them all, was left with 19 or 20, and then ran Oxios, which got me back to 22 or so.

So I downgraded... and now I have 28MB free and the lowest it drops after closing all my apps with task manager is 25, which goes right back to 27.4 when I run Oxios.

Its a non-issue for me anyway. So many apps don't work right with WM6 and I'd rather have a stable device that doesn't have all kinds of issues with my programs, RAM usage, etc., than be at the top of the bleeding edge.

I just wish someone could have dumped the WM5 Sprint ROM on one of the 6800s that went out with WM5, since I'd rather use that.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:52 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint SERO Premium

mswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuff
I don't think these are "Leaks" leaks usually leak forever and this doesn't (in my experience it gets low and stops growing and doesn't shrink [much]).

There is a whole bunch of caches that grow and don't give back until you soft reboot (some tools re-shrink some caches). I think the tools don't know about or how to shrink all the WM6 caches.

Many of these cache sizes you can limit.

You also start with less memory on WM6 to start with (maybe because of some initial size caches).

I'm not convinced there is a "Leak" to fix.

The real problem is 64M is too damn small for WM6 or WM5 for that matter. HTC should not build another stupid 64M RAM device and should not have built this one with 64M.

Last edited by mswlogo; 10-09-2007 at 09:18 PM.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:07 PM
TC1
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Titan

TC1 is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post
I don't think these are "Leaks" leaks usually leak forever and this doesn't (in my experience it gets low and stops growing and doesn't shrink [much]).

There is a whole bunch of caches that grow and don't give back until you soft reboot (some tools re-shrink some caches). I think the tools don't know about or how to shrink all the WM6 caches.

Many of these cache sizes you can limit.

You also start with less memory on WM6 to start with (maybe because of some initial size caches).

I'm not convinced there is a "Leak" to fix.

Agree 100%. For some reason, some folks are locked into thinking that all because memory gets consumed and you aren't running an active program, then it's being leaked. I've been running my Mogul for days without a soft reset.... it's drifted down to about 10Meg free, but stays there. I'm going to keep going without a soft reset just to prove that WM6 will give back some memory from its caches when needed.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:29 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Touch PRO 2! Touch Pro, Touch, Mogul, 6700

ImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post
The real problem is 64K is too damn small for WM6 or WM5 for that matter. HTC should not build another stupid 64K RAM device and should not have built this one with 64K.

I think you mean 64M not 64K. It could be larger, but it would also affect battery life then. Besides it's much more than Bill thinks it needs to be: "640K should be enough for anybody"
Old 10-09-2007, 09:16 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint SERO Premium

mswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCoKeMaN View Post
I think you mean 64M not 64K. It could be larger, but it would also affect battery life then. Besides it's much more than Bill thinks it needs to be: "640K should be enough for anybody"

Oops, sorry wrong decade.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:30 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul

pdadev is a n00b
@ImCoKeMaN

what if the device had overwritten??, it makes bricked?
can we fix the device? how?
Old 10-10-2007, 04:37 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Palm Pre
Carrier: sprint

diomark is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardiomark is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardiomark is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
wm6's cache on the mogul doesnt' work. It's fine if cache gets out of the way for programs to run, but I repeatedly get out of memory errors with one or two apps open if I've been running the phone for a while...

-mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC1 View Post
Agree 100%. For some reason, some folks are locked into thinking that all because memory gets consumed and you aren't running an active program, then it's being leaked. I've been running my Mogul for days without a soft reset.... it's drifted down to about 10Meg free, but stays there. I'm going to keep going without a soft reset just to prove that WM6 will give back some memory from its caches when needed.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:04 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Touch PRO 2! Touch Pro, Touch, Mogul, 6700

ImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdadev View Post
@ImCoKeMaN

what if the device had overwritten??, it makes bricked?
can we fix the device? how?

Had what overwritten? Do you have a problem with a device? If so what does it show on the screen? I am not sure what you are asking, but I have done a lot of testing with this hard-SPL and it hasn't bricked anything for me.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:45 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul

pdadev is a n00b
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=334873

and i'm sorry i can't go in chatt link..........

ImCoKeMaN, please help........

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan > Titan Development