PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2011, 10:16 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: 2032/6700/6800/Arrive/Samsung Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

TexasAggie97 is keeping up the good workTexasAggie97 is keeping up the good workTexasAggie97 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Help me choose a custom ROM!

There are so many options and I have major custom ROM overload! I found great links to a few custom ROMs that have been posted and I needed some "experience" help in deciding which one will be best for me.

Below is a list of "must have" items or items I use on a daily basis.

Fully functional e-mail, contact, and calendar through Microsoft Exchange Server - this is a MUST because I use my phone for business as well as personal.

Ability to have up to four quick links in the bottom menu bar. I currently have the following icons that I use constantly - Phone, Contacts, Text Messaging, Applications. Everything else is accessed through home screen icons.

Compatability with current downloaded Android Apps. I need to have two apps working - 1. Biblegateway widget on one of my home screens. 2. XXXWatch accountability software on my phone (required for my ministry at church).

Audio/Video Capabilities I listen to a lot of music on my phone as watch movies from time to time while traveling or at the gym. I would like to keep this functionality or maybe improve the sound.

Optional items I would like but not required.

Better Battery Usage - I currently go through a fully charged batter in less than 6 hours. I would like to have this improved, maybe by removing CIQ?

Removal of CIQ - if this truly affects batter life, then I would like to have it removed.

Removal of Bloatware - again, optional, but why have all that Sprint crap on my phone when I never use it!

These are the four custom ROMs I am thinking of installing:

Rom Name: [ROM]Mostly Stock EI22 | Update 4 11/12 | (Added Extended Power Menu)
Developer: xBTx

Rom Name: [ROM][EI22][ERA] Legendary ROM Beta.4.0 | NoCIQ
Developer: hoffman1984

Rom Name: [ROM] [EI22] [CWM] CleanGB
Developer: toadlife

Rom Name: [ROM][CWM][EI22] SleeperROM 1.0.01 No CiQ, Stockish-CRT-Overscroll,HotSpot Fix
Developer: SenseiSimple

Last edited by TexasAggie97; 12-01-2011 at 01:22 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:53 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: touch pro2
Carrier: sprint

revaaron is keeping up the good workrevaaron is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Re: Help me choose a custom ROM!

add randomRom to that and you are in the same EXACT spot I am.
I hate reflashing every 5 minutes cause of reinstalling and everything.

I also don't want to have to re-link all my contacts.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:55 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

TexasAggie97 is keeping up the good workTexasAggie97 is keeping up the good workTexasAggie97 is keeping up the good work

I ended up going with the Sleeper ROM. It was the simplest version of GB with almost all I needed. I still need to fix the video player because it won't play my .mkv (Matrovska) video files and all my movies are in .mkv format. Previously, I had no problems watching these movies.

Other than that, everything backed up (Titanium) and reloaded without any problems!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:31 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasAggie97 View Post
I ended up going with the Sleeper ROM. It was the simplest version of GB with almost all I needed. I still need to fix the video player because it won't play my .mkv (Matrovska) video files and all my movies are in .mkv format. Previously, I had no problems watching these movies.

Other than that, everything backed up (Titanium) and reloaded without any problems!
mkv files are just containers, try another media player like mvideoplayer and etc...

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 12-02-2011, 03:28 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Question Re: Help me choose a custom ROM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
mkv files are just containers, try another media player like mvideoplayer and etc...
I tried out Rock Player and it was ok. I'm about to try out MX Video Player. Is that what you meant?
Old 12-04-2011, 03:11 AM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasAggie97 View Post
I tried out Rock Player and it was ok. I'm about to try out MX Video Player. Is that what you meant?
I actually meant mvideo player.but there are a bunch of video players that can play it...just mvideo player was the one I used on my Epic and it was one of the first with mkv support. There are other popular players like Mobo Player and Vital Player
Old 12-05-2011, 09:51 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Thumbs up Re: Help me choose a custom ROM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
I actually meant mvideo player.but there are a bunch of video players that can play it...just mvideo player was the one I used on my Epic and it was one of the first with mkv support. There are other popular players like Mobo Player and Vital Player

Ahhhhhhh, I will look it up. I tried MX Video Player and although it started to play an 800 MB .mkv 720P movie file (THOR) on my phone, it hung up and crashed in about 1 minute and the quality during that 1 minute was poor, not 720p as it was in my stock video player.

Sleeper ROM creator is trying to fix this issue along with a few others we have tested and posted about over at XDA.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:25 AM
Almost a VIP

so... battery savings wise, what is the best ROM?
Last night my phone was sitting in my pocket and it went from 100% to off in over 5hrs
Old 12-07-2011, 09:57 AM
Almost a VIP

I'm about to load ACS ICS 5.5
Old 12-07-2011, 02:08 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by revaaron View Post
so... battery savings wise, what is the best ROM?
Last night my phone was sitting in my pocket and it went from 100% to off in over 5hrs
For me, the sleeper ROM battery life is good. It is better than stock. I have used my phone extensively the past few days since I flashed the rom and it lasts about 6 hours, whereas the stock GB would last 6 hours just sitting at my desk.

I don't know about the other ROMS. Haven't tried them, maybe someone else can chime in?

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G

Tags
custom, ei22, gingerbread, rom, root