PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2010, 05:02 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: ipaq 211
Carrier: Verizon

ashma is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Radioshack will carry T-Mobile HD2 @ launch ... 100% Confirmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbearamus View Post
its possbile, but it also depends on the cable you have, I would assume an HTC one would be find but it also depends on how the microUSB port got wired on the inside of it, for example, I know the Palm Pre uses "microUSB" and a standard microUSB will charge it but the iGo tip a97 won't charge it, iGo had to make a tip specifically for the Pre and Pixi even though its "microUSB"

You could be right! But I've done this on other devices in the past (HP iPAQ and BlackBerry) with no problem. The HD2 seems to be a standard port with its USB hosting capability. I'll try it on Wed, and let you guys know.

Also a while back, I purchased a generic cheap (1.99 on Amazon) car charger that had a female USB port on the end. With that, I've been able to charge 2 different BlackBerry's, an HP iPAQ 211 and a few different friends phones with no problem. It would stand to reason that anyone could buy the same car charger and just plug their included HD2 cable into it, rather than buy one for 30 dollars or so. I'll give it a try as soon as I leave RadioShack......
Old 03-21-2010, 05:13 PM
Lurker

ashma is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by JQuill View Post
Alright I think people are a little desperate for things to talk about haha. Guys it's a charger...it comes with a house charger and you can get car chargers and USB cables at litterally every single electronics store in the country. I was at a Mobil gas station the other day that sold both mini and micro USB car chargers. Everything will be there when it's launched.

Go Team USA. Ducks fly together and all that jazz.
Just trying to cover everything all in one shot. In other words, I'd like to have everything I think I'll want/need for this device and not have to spend time, thinking about it in the future.

Example: I often carry with me, a Canon Elph or Canon Rebel digital camera which both use SD Cards. So how does someone like me who needs and likes to take future proof images (high res) do so on the go and have the option of emailing them asap? Well I found a female to female standard USB to Micro USB adaptor; plug the standard USB SD card reader into one end and the other into the HD2 = turning the HD2 into a standard size SD Card reader which will come in handy for someone like myself who likes to leave the laptop home as often as possible.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:20 PM
Chewy tha Monkey Hunta
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 3D & (Girl's) HTC Inspire "4G"
Carrier: Sprint

jbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashma View Post
Just trying to cover everything all in one shot. In other words, I'd like to have everything I think I'll want/need for this device and not have to spend time, thinking about it in the future.

Example: I often carry with me, a Canon Elph or Canon Rebel digital camera which both use SD Cards. So how does someone like me who needs and likes to take future proof images (high res) do so on the go and have the option of emailing them asap? Well I found a female to female standard USB to Micro USB adaptor; plug the standard USB SD card reader into one end and the other into the HD2 = turning the HD2 into a standard size SD Card reader which will come in handy for someone like myself who likes to leave the laptop home as often as possible.
its a little more complicated than just getting connectors adapted and fitting, the HD2 may not (and probably does not unless MS/HTC/TMobile did something different from the rest of the WinMo devices out there) have the drivers to act has a usb host for mass storage and if it doesn't you probably won't be able to move your pictures that way
a sure fire way to make that happen is to use a microSD card with SD adapter in the camera and then remove the adapter and put the microSD directly into the card slot on the phone then email from there

sorry jquill, i know something like this should probably be in the general discussion HD2 forum, we don't mean to hijack this thread
Old 03-21-2010, 05:33 PM
Lurker

ashma is a n00b

Quote:
its a little more complicated than just getting connectors adapted and fitting, the HD2 may not (and probably does not unless MS/HTC/TMobile did something different from the rest of the WinMo devices out there) have the drivers to act has a usb host for mass storage and if it doesn't you probably won't be able to move your pictures that way
a sure fire way to make that happen is to use a microSD card with SD adapter in the camera and then remove the adapter and put the microSD directly into the card slot on the phone then email from there

sorry jquill, i know something like this should probably be in the general discussion HD2 forum, we don't mean to hijack this thread
I thought I had read that it can be a usb host for mass storage. Hmm maybe it was just wishful thinking......
Old 03-21-2010, 08:53 PM
Chewy tha Monkey Hunta

jbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
I thought I had read that it can be a usb host for mass storage. Hmm maybe it was just wishful thinking......
hadn't heard that but i found an article pretty quickly, apparently its confirmed that it will host keyboard, mouse, flash drive, and card ready but in theory could also support printers and what not
this article was also written a few weeks ago so was more than likely done on a european hd2 and we all know roms differ from there to here and depending on what carrier so looks like theres a decent chance but don't necessarily count on it

http://www.htcphones.net/htc-hd2-supports-usb-host/
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:17 PM
Lurker

ashma is a n00b

Quote:
hadn't heard that but i found an article pretty quickly, apparently its confirmed that it will host keyboard, mouse, flash drive, and card ready but in theory could also support printers and what not
this article was also written a few weeks ago so was more than likely done on a european hd2 and we all know roms differ from there to here and depending on what carrier so looks like theres a decent chance but don't necessarily count on it

http://www.htcphones.net/htc-hd2-supports-usb-host/
That article says a lot of what I had read somewhere online, a while back. And about the ROM version; let's hope we can do the same ith the T-Mo version. I'll be testing that out on the 24th as well.........
Old 03-21-2010, 10:23 PM
Lurker

ashma is a n00b

I'm sure this isn't anything new, but here goes a video of a guy and his HD2 from T-Mo (early purchase). From what he shows, the included skin case, is very cheap. Wish they would have given us the leather pouch that the international version got......Wondering if RadioShack will sell the HTC leather pouch?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fICRa...layer_embedded
Old 03-21-2010, 10:43 PM
Chewy tha Monkey Hunta

Quote:
I'm sure this isn't anything new, but here goes a video of a guy and his HD2 from T-Mo (early purchase). From what he shows, the included skin case, is very cheap. Wish they would have given us the leather pouch that the international version got......Wondering if RadioShack will sell the HTC leather pouch?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fICRa...layer_embedded
that is actually up to tmobile and htc not the individual retailers
Old 03-21-2010, 11:39 PM
Lurker

ashma is a n00b

Quote:
that is actually up to tmobile and htc not the individual retailers
Oh I meant that, I know that the T-Mo HD2 comes with the skin case, but I also see that HTC and other outlets, sell the leather case as an option (same one that comes with the international HD2). So I'm wondering if RadioShack will carry it as an optional accessory.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:59 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO Shift 4G
Threadstarter

JQuill knows their stuffJQuill knows their stuffJQuill knows their stuffJQuill knows their stuffJQuill knows their stuffJQuill knows their stuffJQuill knows their stuff

Quote:

Whether or not this is possible depends on a couple things I guess. Card readers need USB 2.0 ports, IE they need extra power that usb 1.0 doesnt provide. So for your theory to work the HD2 would have to be able to read mass storage devices through the USB port, and provide enough power to run the card reader. So in theory if you're right and the HD2 does support usb 2.0 input I could hook up a 500 gb 2.5 inch hard drive with a miniUSB to microUSB cable and turb my HD 2 into a full fledged video editing, image uploading, face melting beast. lol Why not push every theory?

Last edited by JQuill; 03-22-2010 at 12:02 AM.

PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News