PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2009, 05:58 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia
Carrier: AT&T

mrwangkai is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Do you think the Samsung Omnia 2 will be successful?

Hey guys,

My name is Kai from CareAce.net where we test applications (and devices) as well as providing news/tips for our news.

With the Samsung Omnia 2 set to launch in the U.S and already available in some Asian countries (Singapore), we would love to hear your opinion on the latest Samsung WinMo device that runs on Windows Mobile 6.5.

We have been gathering different views from various blogs/forums in hope of writing a comprehensive coverage on this question:

Do you think the Samsung Omnia 2 will be successful? Why or why not?

Feel free to define successful in your own ways. Personally, I felt the Omnia did well, evidently from one of our latest polls. 50% of the users had chosen the Omnia over other Samsung WinMo devices.

Thank you very much for your participation, credits will certainly be given! If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me or CareAce.net.

Have a great day!

Sincerely,
Kai
Old 08-13-2009, 06:18 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

neuteboomt is becoming a PPCGeeks regularneuteboomt is becoming a PPCGeeks regularneuteboomt is becoming a PPCGeeks regularneuteboomt is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: Do you think the Samsung Omnia 2 will be successful?

I feel with the amount of wm phones coming out this year it will be hard for this phone to be a success. If I am not mistaken the Omnia 2 will only be provided by one carrier in the US. I would think the Touch Pro 2 would be more of a success considering it will be carried by the top 4 wireless providers in the US.

Last edited by neuteboomt; 08-13-2009 at 09:41 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:29 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

mrwangkai is a n00b

neuteboomt, Good point!

The Samsung Omnia 2's defining feature seems to be focused on the AMOLED display and the platform running 6.5. But I agree with what you said about the amt of WM device, it may prove to be not enough.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:35 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

op, do we really need two of these threads?
Old 08-13-2009, 06:43 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

mrwangkai is a n00b

Probably not, just wasn't sure where I should be posting it. Shd I remove it from one?
Old 08-13-2009, 06:45 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Temp TP2 until the 3D

No1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIP
Send a message via MSN to No1ustad

if i recall correctly, the omnia 2 seems like a powerhouse phone. better camera, amoled screen, fm radio, faster processor and most importantly to me anyway, a substantial HTC competitor. There are quite a few ppl that are fairly unhappy with HTCs way of doing business, (driver issues,removing 1 feature for another, etc) but especially on sprint, there are too few alternatives. i think its a great phone that will sell big considering it doesnt seem to be holding anything back and feature to feature, surpasses the diamond 2 (closest competitor). this was typed on my phone so if i am not correctly remembering things, sry.

Mogul -> Vogue -> TP -> TP2 -> Snap -> Evo -> 3D

Last edited by No1ustad; 08-14-2009 at 04:24 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:52 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Temp TP2 until the 3D

No1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIP
Send a message via MSN to No1ustad

p.s. mebbe this would be best in the phone comparison forum? or OT? not sure id rly classify this as News...
Old 08-13-2009, 06:55 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

mrwangkai is a n00b

@No1ustad, we are in Seattle too!
Yes, the Omnia does have some feature that can make it rather competitive. I have personally tried it for abit and I do prefer UI engine that the Omnia 2 runs on (which increases its potential for better touch-screen applications).

Thanks for your response!
Old 08-13-2009, 09:15 PM
That guy with the axe
Pocket PC: MotoDroid
Carrier: Verizon

breakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I agree that the Omnia 2 will be somewhat limited by carrier exclusivity, if it wasn't for that I think it would be a strong competitor. The people that want a physical keyboard are obviously gonna be turned off by this phone, I actually prefer the devices without the keyboard though and I'm already on Verizon so I'll be deciding between the Whitestone (Diamond 2) and the Omnia 2. Feature wise, the Omnia 2 is seems to be the better phone, but it's still a hard decision. I'm not too excited about having a stylus hanging from the side of the phone like some dangly mutation. The updates to 6.5 do at least make everything more finger friendly, so maybe I can live without a stylus. The one thing that REALLY keeps pulling me back to the HTC phones though is developer support, but it may not be enough this time.

My primary waste of time and money http://www.cardomain.com/id/FireDiverZ28
Old 08-14-2009, 08:57 AM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead
Carrier: T-Mobile

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

The big downfall I think is not having it on sprint or gsm, It's basically an upgrade of not only the omnia but also the diamond (or anyone using 6.5 on the diamond). I wish I could get the phone no way on sprint, it's better than anything sprint is coming out with any time soon. The omnia2 imo basically has everything I want in a ppc and the "success" will have to be determined by how many people get them, which should be a lot, at least those who don't get the diamond2, I don't know why vzw would release 2 of basically the same phone (omnia2 and diamond2), but overall its a great phone that should do pretty well.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia

Tags
omnia ii, omnia2, samsung, survey