PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2009, 12:54 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC touch
Carrier: Sprint SERO

badchad is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Do you think the Samsung Omnia 2 will be successful?

In addition to carrier restrictions, I think the ability to upgrade to WM 7 will be big.

If the Omnia is even released by Sept. Wm 7 may be coming in Summer/June. If its not upgradeable to 7.0 this means the phone will have a lifespan of less than a year.

That's a turnoff to me.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:57 PM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead
Carrier: T-Mobile

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

Quote:
Originally Posted by badchad View Post
In addition to carrier restrictions, I think the ability to upgrade to WM 7 will be big.

If the Omnia is even released by Sept. Wm 7 may be coming in Summer/June. If its not upgradeable to 7.0 this means the phone will have a lifespan of less than a year.

That's a turnoff to me.
it doesn't have the specs that wm7 requires
Old 08-14-2009, 02:52 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia
Carrier: AT&T
Threadstarter

mrwangkai is a n00b

@orangekid, personally, I used to live in Singapore and find the idea of not having a sim card (sprint/verizon) rather senseless. Its as if i'm stuck with the carrier.

In terms of Sprint, I think Palm Pre is going to be their focus for awhile aside from many of other services that they provide. Thanks for your input though.

CareAce.net - Samsung Windows Mobile Phone Support
Old 08-14-2009, 02:58 PM

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwangkai View Post
@orangekid, personally, I used to live in Singapore and find the idea of not having a sim card (sprint/verizon) rather senseless. Its as if i'm stuck with the carrier.

In terms of Sprint, I think Palm Pre is going to be their focus for awhile aside from many of other services that they provide. Thanks for your input though.
true, you get stuck with a carrier, but in the US there seem to be more cdma carriers than gsm, and sprint happens to kicks t mobil and att's asses in speed and coverage.

I don't know about them focusing on the pre, the tp2 coming out in less than a month, and if we get the diamond2 that will be comparable to the omnia2, not to mention if/when sprint gets the firestone which is better than both..

as for me id much rather winmo over wbos. So ill stick with my diamond for now.

the omnia2 really should have been released on us gsm though.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:35 PM
That guy with the axe
Pocket PC: MotoDroid
Carrier: Verizon

breakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwangkai View Post

Most of us sign at least a 1 year contract (usually 2 year) to get a better price on the phone anyway, so we're essentially stuck with the carrier even if it does have a sim card. Verizon has an option that allows you to pay 20.00 after one year of your 2 year contract and renew early, making it where you can upgrade every year and I plan to take advantage of that. At the rate tech toys advance now I cant imagine keeping one device for more than a year, WiMax and snapdragon devices should be in full swing by this time next year and I'll be ready to ditch whatever I get this year by then

My primary waste of time and money http://www.cardomain.com/id/FireDiverZ28
Old 08-14-2009, 04:39 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Droid X

Gulanowski is keeping up the good workGulanowski is keeping up the good work

The success of this phone, IMO, depends on when it is released. If it's out on the 23rd which seems unlikely then I suspect that when people browse over to the smartphone sections and happen to activate the screen on the O2 and see the vivid colors they will immediately inquire about it, no phone has ever been released on VZW quite like this. If it hits market in December when other comparable phones are out or nearly out then the O2 will struggle for regonition as it's specs will no longer be the bomber that they are now.

We'll see. But right now this is first on my list, with the TP2 second. If the TP2 hits within a month and the O2 is still months away it's likely I'll got with the TP2.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakmyfootoff View Post
Most of us sign at least a 1 year contract (usually 2 year) to get a better price on the phone anyway, so we're essentially stuck with the carrier even if it does have a sim card.
true, but on sprint I cant use a vzw phone, so I cant use an omnia, ir you're on ATT u can unlock and use phones from europse and tmobil, so you could get a Touch HD or be on t-mobil and use an iphone. that's the main difference. The only cdma comparison is flashing a diamond to cricket or something, but that's about it.

But within a year or so all networks will have snapdragon and tegra phones, so I will probably just stick with my diamond for now and wait for a tegra wm7 phone to come out instead of settling for a diamond2 or pro2, the only reason I would is bigger screen with better resolution.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:55 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

mrwangkai is a n00b

@badchad, good point on WM7 upgrade. I'd like to think that it will be part of the package when it comes down to that.

@orangekid, yea, tegra phones/satellite phones are schedule for end of the year release. Omnia 2 has a period of opening to make its name, past that, it would be hard to say whether its going to be successful (popular to the mass audience) - as @Gulanowski pointed out.

Points taken guys! Thanks!
Old 08-14-2009, 07:03 PM
That guy with the axe
Pocket PC: MotoDroid

breakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangekid View Post
But within a year or so all networks will have snapdragon and tegra phones, so I will probably just stick with my diamond for now and wait for a tegra wm7 phone to come out instead of settling for a diamond2 or pro2, the only reason I would is bigger screen with better resolution.
Thats exactly what I was thinking at first also, then I thought about the fact that I could still be enjoying the Omnia 2 or Whitestone for almost a whole year until those new developments are released and widespread enough to actually use them. WiMax is supposed to start in my area next month, but it'll be at least a year before it covers enough area to be useable with a mobile handset, and probably just as long before a handset is released that can use it. Considering the trends on new releases with HTC I'm also betting we wont see the Snapdragon/Tegra devices till around this same time next year and it doesnt really matter when they release WM7 until those devices that can use it are available to us. If I upgrade now, worst case scenario is they release everything early summer and I have to wait a few months to get it, but I can live with waiting a few months if I'm still playing with the O2 or Whitestone
Old 08-14-2009, 08:02 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

mrwangkai is a n00b

@breakmyfootoff, for some reason I didn't catch it when you said this

Quote:
The one thing that REALLY keeps pulling me back to the HTC phones though is developer support, but it may not be enough this time.
When you say developer support, I'm assuming 3rd party app developer devoted to HTC devices?
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia

Tags
omnia ii, omnia2, samsung, survey