PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2009, 05:02 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: Verizon

Veritech_910 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVeritech_910 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVeritech_910 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Unhappy i910 MMS Picture Resize Problem [Fixed - Updated 9-29-09]

Well guys let's see if you got what it takes to help me out, don't ya love the challenge? I've posted at HowardForums, Samsung-Omnia Forums, MoDaCo Forums and bumped a thread or 2 at the XDA forums so I have been doing my searching and trying to find a fix for my problem but the only thing so far is a fix that gets me decent MMS picture sizes but kills video MMS.

Just over a week ago I went to my local VZW store and picked up an Omnia i910 to replace my wonderful LG Dare. I love the phone so far except for one major thing, picture messaging! That brings me to the problem:

I can send out picture messages just fine, no resizing of a 1024 x 768 (144 kb) photo to someone and they receive it just fine. I used to receive photos just fine as well, until I switched to the i910. Now when I receive a photo it gets shrunken down to damn near thumbnail size. The max width it allows is 240 pixels, so picture messages come in anywhere from 16-25kb in size. Well before I babble on more about it, I will just list the things I've noticed and/or tried.

- Sending pics is fine, receiving them resizes them very small (typically 240x180 resolution for a landscaped picture)

- Tested receiving pics from multiple carriers as well as emailing to mynumber@vzwpix.com

- Hard reset the phone a couple times

- Spoken with VZW phone support and visited in-store "tech" people

- Spoken with Samsung (no dice there)

- Tried the "fix" found here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=421893 but it killed video MMS (so I hard reset afterwards)

- Sent myself a 351k mp3 ringer and that came through (so it's not an MMS file size limitation)

- Not running anything like TF2D or SPB mobile shell or anything

Anyhow guys hopefully you can help figure this out or at the very least post if you too are having a similar problem or if you've got an i910 as well but no problems then post that too! Been far too little responses on the other forums so this is pretty much my last shot before I swap the phone for something else or just suck it up and go back to my LG Dare.

Phone/Version Info:
Omnia i910
CF03 ROM

Skip ahead to Post #14 for the Fix (using Arcsoft)
Skip ahead to Post #42 for the simpler fix by justinsimison

Last edited by Veritech_910; 09-29-2009 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Added [Fixed] to thread title, quicklink to post for Fix
Old 02-09-2009, 06:00 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 4

syrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Re: i910 MMS Picture Resize Problem

I get pics sent via MMS from family all the time, and the images do come in at around the memory size you mentioned, but they do fill most of the screen, they aren't quite the thumb-nail size you mention. I do find that if I save them and then edit them at all (I just turned a couple clock-wise) re-saves them at about half of the original memory size. Are the images your getting from a cell-phone? I'm wondering if our screen is so much larger than we are used to (well...leaving a 240x240 I am still in awe) the images just look dwarfed by the Omnia's screen size (just a thought).

Old 02-09-2009, 06:17 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Veritech_910 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVeritech_910 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVeritech_910 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

The images I'm getting are a mix of pics from other phones and from digital cameras sent to my phone via e-mail. This wasn't an issue with the LG Dare or my Voyager prior to that but the most noticeable part is when I transfer received pics to my PC and look at them on my computer screen they are about the sive of, say, your avatar for here on the forums. When I sent a test image to my friend at 1024 x 768 screen resolution, he received it fine, transferred it to his desktop computer to look at it and confirmed that it was the same size as what I sent him. I almost always transfer all pic messages I get to my PC for backup so switching to the Omnia was a shocker when I transferred my first couple received pictures over lol. I do understand that the rendering of the picture if viewed on the phone would be of smaller size, but when viewed on a PC after being transferred over it should show up as a real sized picture and not something the size of a mere forum avatar heheh.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:23 PM
VIP Member

syrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

I'll have to try that out with a full-sized image...this is one that I did upload to a PC for my Daughter, but she took it on a cell phone, so I am not sure how accurate an example it really is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg l_017abe3a9f604704aa1491a9716981de.jpg (4.3 KB, 68 views) Click for barcode!
Old 02-09-2009, 06:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Yup that's about the size I'm getting on my Omnia, but on my LG Dare I could receive and transfer over a full size file via MMS. Try this, set your camera to take a 640 x 480 sized image, then send that image to your own phone via MMS (or send it to your email, again via MMS). You should easily be able to receive that image back at a 640 x 480 resolution and it should not resize it to the size image you posted as a sample.

Heading home from work now will check back on here in about an hour. Thanks for replying and trying to help, it's greatly appreciated!
Old 02-09-2009, 11:27 PM
VIP Member

I did exactly as you described, and on my PC it opens to a full-size pic...I'll attach it here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNC00033.jpg (107.1 KB, 43 views) Click for barcode!
Old 02-09-2009, 11:45 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Oh so lucky! I wish I knew how to get mine to do it but the VZW guys were baffled. They tried their demo model and had same problem. They pulled another new phone, transferred my number to it and tested the pic msg, same deal. That's when they got on the horn with Samsung lol. I have to go back to VZW store so we can continue the talk with Samsung and the "Tier 3" tech support people over there. Ugh what a pain

When you get a chance, if you don't mind, could you go into your MMS > MMS Options > Profile tab > Select the active MMS profile > Hit edit then tell me what you've got listed there for the info? For mine it's:

MMS Profile: MMS
MMSC: http://mms.vtext.com/servlets/mms
Data Connections: Broadband Access (which is my #777 dialing)
Gateway: None
IP: Blank
Port: Blank

Thanks again!
Old 02-09-2009, 11:51 PM
VIP Member

Mine checks out the same. Not sure what could be causing it. How do you get the image to MMS?
Old 02-10-2009, 12:17 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

I've tried starting a new MMS and inserting a slide, starting Mobile Media and "sending" from there and also S2V to send from that application as well. I'm stumped lol
Old 02-10-2009, 12:28 PM
VIP Member

The only difference I can see (not that it should matter) is I used the explorer to get to the image and sent it from there. That is an interesting situation, I may play around a bit more and see if the one I did for here was a rule, or a 'fluke'!!
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia