PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2009, 11:56 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon

bigben is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbigben is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbigben is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbigben is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Trying to love the Omnia but its hard

I have been a WinMo user since the beginning. You name the device and I've had it or some variant - it is part of my job. I've also begun supporting the iPhone.

I truly prefer WinMo and I'd really love to use the Omnia but!!!

It just seems like it isn't a touch based machine or stylus based machine (a goofy stylus on a string included - GOOFY).

I've tried to love it - installed the hacks but still some nagging issues.
-Small control screen at the top - difficult to use "X" button.
-Silverinbox would make touch email great but it is buggy and freezes.
-Keyboard sucks
-GPS is locked up (should be unlocked sometime in the next 5 months now - but locked up today)
-etc

Now the iPhone truly has it spots - no bluetooth A2DP; no copy, cut, paste; no MMS; limited mass email delete, Itunes sync only, etc. But!!! it also has a terrific GUI.

I am not asking for an Iphone GUI, but I would like to either have touch based machine or stylus based machine (with a stylus).

Sorry for the rant - but I've worked pretty hard at trying to like this machine complete with it's great battery life. But I fear the experience is slipping through my hands back to a Touch Pro or Iphone.

Last edited by bigben; 01-19-2009 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:13 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: PPC6700 - Omnia i910
Carrier: verizon

dopepope is becoming a great contributor
Re: Trying to love the Omnia but its hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
I have been a WinMo user since the beginning. You name the device and I've had it or some variant - it is part of my job. I've also begun supporting the iPhone.

I truly prefer WinMo and I'd really love to use the Omnia but!!!

It just seems like it isn't a touch based machine or stylus based machine (a goofy stylus on a string included - GOOFY).

-Keyboard sucks
-GPS is locked up (should be unlocked sometime in the next 5 months now - but locked up today)
-etc

Now the iPhone truly has it spots - no bluetooth A2DP; no copy, cut, paste; no MMS; limited mass email delete, Itunes sync only, etc. But!!! it also has a terrific GUI.

I am not asking for an Iphone GUI, but I would like to either have touch based machine or stylus based machine (with a stylus).

Sorry for the rant - but I've worked pretty hard at trying to like this machine complete with it's great battery life. But I fear the experience is slipping through my hands back to a Touch Pro or Iphone.
you know I can't realy argue with you over those issues, however I think I'm staying with it over the iPhone because its windows mobile, which means I can keep easily changing it (and with the quickmenu/manilla 2d setup im rather pleased). The touch pro has a lot over this phone in my opinion with the real keyboard and the stylus thats actually attatched, however that phone for me would be around 400 dollars, and this was only 200. this phone to me is easily worth the 200 while I find it hard to justify a keyboard and stylus being worth an extra 200 dollars.

something that has helped me with the keyboard is installing SPB Keyboard with the black 3 skin, its made texting easier with one hand and its full screen keyboard option makes landscape texting easier as well.

just some ideas.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:53 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia

hop2000 is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post

-Keyboard sucks
-etc
WM in it's current state does have it quirks. As a lot of the new devices are going to touchscreen only, we truely see WM showing it's age. What we need to realize is that the current WM OS was created for non-touchscreen devices. That is why all of the phone manufacturers have had to come up with their own overlays for it (Samsung Today, HTC Touchflow, etc.). This is their attempt at making the WM devices "finger friedly". The problem with this is that they are not addressing the real issue. That is that WM (up through 6.1) is outdated and is in dire need of a MAJOR overhaul in order to work seamlessly with today's mobile devices.

The reason other new devices that are coming out seem to be much more touchscreen usable (i.e. Apple iPhone, BB Storm, Palm Pre) is becaise their OS were designed and created for touchscreen devices. Microsoft has been losing A LOT of market share to the above mentioned companies; they realize this and are doing something about it. The only good thing about WM7 being late to the game is that Microsoft has had a chance to see everyone elses OS, improve upon them, and create something that should blow all of them away. Wether or not this will actually happen has yet to be seen, but the opportunity is there.

I was recently going through the decision wether or not to stay with a WM device or look at others out there. At one point I was about to order the Storm, but decided not to get it. When comparing all of the other devices out there, I kept coming back to a WM device, because it made the most sense for me based on what I use it for. For others the Storm or iPhone might have been a better choice. I will stick with WM until the release of WM7. Hopefully, WM7 is everything they say it will be. Otherwise, Microsoft will lose even more market share with me jumping ship along with the rest.

Best bet is to try to tweak the device over the next week or two. If you are not satisfied with it, then try something else. I do have to say that after getting used to the optical mouse/dpad on the Omnia, I do not miss the stylus at all.

Last edited by hop2000; 01-19-2009 at 01:56 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:22 PM
The Pusher
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910

Adrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the community

For the difficult to use "x" issue, install wkTask and use this theme:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=36553

As for the other issues--SPB Mobile shell with imarche themes might go far in alleviating your disappointment.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:42 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Eris

aleis is keeping up the good workaleis is keeping up the good work

um...HELLO!
use the mouse!
you DO NOT NEED A STYLUS BEING THAT WE HAVE...A MOUSE!
a friggin mouse!
like...serious?
serious?

edit:

do u know this phone has a mouse?
and you can adjust the speed and change the pointer!
im working on creating my on pointed that actually iluminates
yeah...wish me luck!
o yeah i am loving this phone!

Phandroid!

Last edited by aleis; 01-19-2009 at 02:46 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:45 PM
The Pusher
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910

Adrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the community

Different strokes. Not everyone likes to use the mouse.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:26 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Eris

aleis is keeping up the good workaleis is keeping up the good work

o...well..

Old 01-19-2009, 04:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Omnia

devinc is keeping up the good workdevinc is keeping up the good work

You do know that the hang up phone button on the lower right part of the phone also hits the X key right?

As far as the keyboard, the iphone and storm keyboards are no different or better. Soft keyboards are soft keyboards and they all have their difficulties.

As far as touch email, the optical sensor works great. It is essentially touch email but instead of touching the screen you touch the optical sensor

Personally, I have very big fingers and I can tap the X box in the corner just fine, but even if you cannot, there are plenty of finger friendly ways to maneuver around this phone.

Devin
Old 01-19-2009, 06:00 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 4

syrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

I was wondering if anyone was going to mention the 'END' button working as the 'X' as well!!

I also agree SPB Shell with Imache's skinning really makes the Omnia really sweet!! I came from a Treo and never thought I would get a device without a physical keyboeard, but I had no problem adjusting, and don't think I have even touched the stylus in weeks!!!

I never tried Silverinbox, so I can't comment on that, what is it about the keyboard that you don't like? There are other 3rd party apps out there that are pretty slick on the Omnia (I use RESCO)!!

Old 01-19-2009, 07:44 PM
Lurker

big51ben is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by syrguy1969 View Post
I was wondering if anyone was going to mention the 'END' button working as the 'X' as well!!

I also agree SPB Shell with Imache's skinning really makes the Omnia really sweet!! I came from a Treo and never thought I would get a device without a physical keyboeard, but I had no problem adjusting, and don't think I have even touched the stylus in weeks!!!

I never tried Silverinbox, so I can't comment on that, what is it about the keyboard that you don't like? There are other 3rd party apps out there that are pretty slick on the Omnia (I use RESCO)!!
For me the layout of the Samsung keyboard is a little off the mark layout and usability wise. I followed the earlier recommendation and the SPB is more accurate. Thanks.

I going to try the recommendation on improving "X" performance.

The Silverinbox is a great concept for email - very finger friendly. Problem is that it is buggy and freezes.

The Omnia is the best finger friendly WinMo device I've tried - just not quite there yet. Maybe I can continue to tweek but a thin thing.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia