hop2000
PPCGeeks Regular

hop2000 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Trying to love the Omnia but its hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
It just seems like it isn't a touch based machine or stylus based machine (a goofy stylus on a string included - GOOFY).

I've tried to love it - installed the hacks but still some nagging issues.
-Small control screen at the top - difficult to use "X" button.
-Silverinbox would make touch email great but it is buggy and freezes.
-Keyboard sucks
-GPS is locked up (should be unlocked sometime in the next 5 months now - but locked up today)
-etc
WM in it's current state does have it quirks. As a lot of the new devices are going to touchscreen only, we truely see WM showing it's age. What we need to realize is that the current WM OS was created for non-touchscreen devices. That is why all of the phone manufacturers have had to come up with their own overlays for it (Samsung Today, HTC Touchflow, etc.). This is their attempt at making the WM devices "finger friedly". The problem with this is that they are not addressing the real issue. That is that WM (up through 6.1) is outdated and is in dire need of a MAJOR overhaul in order to work seamlessly with today's mobile devices.

The reason other new devices that are coming out seem to be much more touchscreen usable (i.e. Apple iPhone, BB Storm, Palm Pre) is becaise their OS were designed and created for touchscreen devices. Microsoft has been losing A LOT of market share to the above mentioned companies; they realize this and are doing something about it. The only good thing about WM7 being late to the game is that Microsoft has had a chance to see everyone elses OS, improve upon them, and create something that should blow all of them away. Wether or not this will actually happen has yet to be seen, but the opportunity is there.

I was recently going through the decision wether or not to stay with a WM device or look at others out there. At one point I was about to order the Storm, but decided not to get it. When comparing all of the other devices out there, I kept coming back to a WM device, because it made the most sense for me based on what I use it for. For others the Storm or iPhone might have been a better choice. I will stick with WM until the release of WM7. Hopefully, WM7 is everything they say it will be. Otherwise, Microsoft will lose even more market share with me jumping ship along with the rest.

Best bet is to try to tweak the device over the next week or two. If you are not satisfied with it, then try something else. I do have to say that after getting used to the optical mouse/dpad on the Omnia, I do not miss the stylus at all.

Last edited by hop2000; 01-19-2009 at 01:56 PM.