PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2009, 05:20 AM
The Pusher
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910
Carrier: Verizon

Adrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: A challenge to all gurus: Help me keep my phone!

As for advantages to using the start menu on a PPC device....not much. I use it now and again when

1. I broke something and the Launcher for the Main Menu stops working.
2. Sometimes it is quicker to certain items.

Thats about all I have for this thread. Some of these gripes are personal preferences, and not much anyone can do for them. Some of them are possible hardware issues like a bad battery, or camera. Lockups are like a real computer--it could be hardware related, or simply a software conflict. It sounds like to try a bunch of software-- there are bound to be conflicts here and there.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:07 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia
Threadstarter

Cmass is becoming a great contributor

Incredible volley of answers Adrenalyne!

Here is what I’m working on

Post #2 – Dialer locking:
Unfortunately, after reviewing that thread to the end it appears Verizon Omnia customers are still awaiting Paul to write a patch for his patch to make it work properly for our phones…
Do you use it & are you a Verizon customer?

Post #3 – Screen staying on:
Excellent! Simple as that.

Post #4 – Contacts program:
Quote:
iContact Burt edition.
Looking into it….

Post #5 – battery life:
Made all the adjustments suggested…Downloaded the ZIP. I’ll test it tomorrow…

Post #6 – Screen issues

Quote:
Sounds like your screen is poorly calibrated.
Nope – calibrated it extremely carefully several times. My hands are large – not huge but large. The slider needs to be larger. There is in fact plenty of room for ALL the sliders to be more finger friendly. I’m blown away I haven’t found a whole bunch of options for making them larger.

Post #7 – MP3
I’ve tried Pocket Player. It’s a good program but it is quite large and the buttons are so small on the EQ they are virtually non-functional.
I will definitely look into the Kinoma. It is one I have not yet heard about.
Which do you use?

Post #10 – Misc

Closing programs:
Quote:
wkTask will do this for you.
Not sure what this is….I’ll Google..

Volume:
As for volume issues, try this reghack attached.
I’ll give it a shot.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:08 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Incredible volley of answers Adrenalyne!

Here is what I’m working on

Post #2 – Dialer locking:
Unfortunately, after reviewing that thread to the end it appears Verizon Omnia customers are still awaiting Paul to write a patch for his patch to make it work properly for our phones…
Do you use it & are you a Verizon customer?

Post #3 – Screen staying on:
Excellent! Simple as that.

Post #4 – Contacts program:
Quote:
iContact Burt edition.
Looking into it….

Post #5 – battery life:
Made all the adjustments suggested…Downloaded the ZIP. I’ll test it tomorrow…

Post #6 – Screen issues

Quote:
Sounds like your screen is poorly calibrated.
Nope – calibrated it extremely carefully several times. My hands are large – not huge but large. The slider needs to be larger. There is in fact plenty of room for ALL the sliders to be more finger friendly. I’m blown away I haven’t found a whole bunch of options for making them larger.

Post #7 – MP3
I’ve tried Pocket Player. It’s a good program but it is quite large and the buttons are so small on the EQ they are virtually non-functional.
I will definitely look into the Kinoma. It is one I have not yet heard about.
Which do you use?

Post #10 – Misc

Closing programs:
Quote:
wkTask will do this for you.
Not sure what this is….I’ll Google..

Volume:
Quote:
As for volume issues, try this reghack attached.
I’ll give it a shot.

Thanks again!
Old 01-04-2009, 06:31 AM
The Pusher

Adrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the community

I use Pocket Player, but have been eyeing Kinoma. I only use one EQ setting, and I set the text to large, so its pretty finger friendly for me.

I am a VZW user, but wasn't aware that the i900 and i910 differed enough that the patch would not work for us. In that case, have you checked out Inesoft Phone, or Phonex? Both are decent dialers.

Last edited by Adrynalyne; 01-04-2009 at 06:35 AM.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:38 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Do you run iContact BE?
I just downloaded and attempted to run it but it won't install. I keep getting Fatal Errors.....
Old 01-04-2009, 06:47 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

RE: Kinoma...
Were you eying the free version or the $30 full meal deal? The paid version looks typical of a lot of companies trying to sell in a crowded market: They slap everything they can think of onto the program to make it look like you are getting an amazing deal. "And it washes your car too!!" Spb did the same thing which is how I ended up paying $50 for a bundled package of programs - of which I was interested in only a small part of one of them.
I wonder how well the bundled version would actually run?
Old 01-04-2009, 07:01 AM
The Pusher

Yes I use iContactBE. Its always installed without issue for me. Make sure nothing is running in the background, maybe. I was eyeing the free version, but it does not have an EQ unless you shell out for it.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:33 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Moto Droid

JonV is keeping up the good workJonV is keeping up the good workJonV is keeping up the good work

Let me just throw out there that PocketMusic from pocketmind.com is as full function MP3 player as you might find. Super EQ feature. Big buttons! Bookmarks. m3u streaming. YMMV
Old 01-04-2009, 04:35 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 4

syrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

In reading this thread, a few things come to mind:

Please be careful in using any tweaks or changes made for the i900. The i910 (American VZW version) Is just different enough that nothing is a given, so please do a backup before attempting anything. I have seen a lot of bricking due to flashing i900 ROMs and some tweaks not working out as described!!

If iContact doesn't work as you intend, another cool one is PocketCM:
http://pocketcm.com/contact.php

It works great on the Omnia and it includes a threaded SMS part that I like MUCH better than the WM version, it is free (or you can donate) and is always being tweaked + supported!

The lock tweak while in a call does work, but it disables certain icons on the dialer screen (along the right side if I remember correctly) so it wasn't worth it to me!

Adrynalyne is covering your questions pretty well, but in case either one of you want to do more reading/finding about tweaks, I started a thread where I am trying to get them all in one place, and there are a lot of them listed along with resources, and hopefully a lot more to come!! (please let me know if you know of any not listed so I can add them to the top)
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=51532

Old 01-04-2009, 06:34 PM
Lurker

skrump is a n00b

Chris-

That's a well thought out list of issues you've put together! I'm curious as to what you find, as I agree with you on a lot of the points. I'd love to find a better MP3 player as well, however I think I may be stuck with Windows Media Player. I'm using it to play Rhapsody subscription tracks, and I'm under the impression that other players won't be able to handle the subscription DRM...

Some of the trouble I'm finding as I try out some of these apps, such as the pcketcm app you suggest syrguy, is that they don't play well with the Omnia's screen rotation. More than once I've found that these programs work great in portrait mode, but as soon as you tilt your phone into landscape mode, the program crashes. I assume this just comes with the territory considering the Omnia is such a new device, and time will bring us more polished apps...

How's Google Maps working for you? I love that program, but right now I'm hitting the bug where it doesn't recognize the Samsung Keyboard for entering text/#'s. The workaround is to use the horrific Microsoft keyboard, which sucks. I'm hearing of plenty of other folks having this same problem on the Omnia, and have been watching the Google message boards for any sign of a fix...

Finally, unless I missed it, did you or anyone come up with a way to turn off the "Battery is now fully charged" Alarm? The one fix I read for that was to replace that alarm audio file with a file of room noise, but I don't know what exact audio file my phone is using for that alarm...

Last edited by skrump; 01-04-2009 at 06:41 PM.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia