PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2008, 05:36 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

Cmass is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Thinking of installing SPB Mobile Shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRedLine View Post
I run SPB mobile shell on my Omnia and its probably the best 'today' replacement i have found so far
ifonz (dont like, if i wanted to look like an iphone i would have bought an iphone)
WAD (quite like it, but found the configuration a bit annoying)
M2D (had this for a while and do like it, but replaced with SPB)

Use the imarche skins found here - http://www.imarche.net/omnia/index.php
also use SPBWatcher and have this the only running thing in the 'Today' settings.
I'll give the Watcher a try and look through the skins.
Thank you very much for your input!
- Chris
Old 12-29-2008, 07:24 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by syrguy1969 View Post
I was wondering if that was what you were talking about! I am at work right now, so I can't post images, but you need to run MobileShell itself...your using the Today plug-ins, and that isn't nearly as finger friendly. Shell actually takes over the OS and has it's own menus and layout. Now...the customization screen you showed......yeah....a bit small, but once you get it set up the way tou like, you don't really go to it much if at all!!
Here is my NOW screen, the large buttons on the bottom change screens, and the menu pages are broken into grids of 9:

The main SPB page gives better images of the menus.
Also, I don't use PhoneSuite either, so I can't speak for that. What are you looking to get from Suite as far as functionability?
I also have never had any clash/conflict between S2U2 and MobileShell....certainly nothing needing a reg change!!
P.S. Nice looking Today screen!!
Yours looks much easier to deal with no doubt about it. Where are you navigating within your phone to set it up that way?
(I feel like I'm driving around inside a maze inside this phone. Unfortunately, frustration has led to scatter-gunning my approach.)

-----------------
How to get Mobile Shell to run by itself?

Here is what I just tried:

SPB Menu -> settings -> today -> items I then checked only the Mobile Shell box. Of course...the only thing that now shows on the front are a few tabs at the top of the screen. My feeble brain is missing some big picture items here...

If I go into Settings -> Mobile Shell there are a bunch of (tiny!) tabs at the bottom...I've gone through every item in there....not sure if there is something I need to set up in that menu??

If I go into Settings -> Customize menus it brings me to a page showing the "Spb menu" and various items such as Organizer, Internet etc... with check marks next to them. Anything here I need to do?
----------------------

What I was hoping to get from Phone Suite was a functioning phone. The default phone book is utterly useless. The arrows and buttons are so small I can only use them with a stylus on a flat table in the best of conditions. I'm often in an environments conducive to fat fingering.

Here are some issues as well as some ideas as to what I would like to find if available:

This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:02 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Could this be an issue:
When I put it onto the phone I placed the CAB file into the Programs folder in the My Storage area. I did not extract it to Device.
But still....the thing runs....sort of....and it doesn't look anything like the screenshots I've seen.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:02 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: VZW

Spr0ckEt is keeping up the good workSpr0ckEt is keeping up the good workSpr0ckEt is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to Spr0ckEt Send a message via MSN to Spr0ckEt Send a message via Yahoo to Spr0ckEt

Well, I can see your issue with the small buttons, I have gorilla hands too. I know it sounds like I am blowing it off but, these programs were designed to be used in a WinMo PPC environment. That means (typically) stylus use. The iPhone has given this generation of PPC'ers the idea that everything should be finger-friendly instead of stylus based. (Not saying this is bad but, some of the software companies haven't gotten it yet.) There are other programs out there that are WAY more finger friendly for different things. I don't know which would work best for you or your phone. One that I think is pretty good is Pocket CM (contact manager.) It is super finger friendly and integrates threaded messaging. There are lots of skins available online (here too) if you search for them.
Phone history: Moto V265 (5), Moto V710 (4), Moto E815 (1), Moto Q (4), Treo 700wx (3), and XV6800 (5), Alltel Touch Pro (5), VZW Touch Pro 2 (2), HTC Incredible (3), HTC Thunderbolt (5), HTC Rezound (5), HTC DNA (4), Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (3)
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:15 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spr0ckEt View Post
Well, I can see your issue with the small buttons, I have gorilla hands too. I know it sounds like I am blowing it off but, these programs were designed to be used in a WinMo PPC environment. That means (typically) stylus use. The iPhone has given this generation of PPC'ers the idea that everything should be finger-friendly instead of stylus based. (Not saying this is bad but, some of the software companies haven't gotten it yet.) There are other programs out there that are WAY more finger friendly for different things. I don't know which would work best for you or your phone. One that I think is pretty good is Pocket CM (contact manager.) It is super finger friendly and integrates threaded messaging. There are lots of skins available online (here too) if you search for them.
It is odd because the sales staff in Verizon said this phone was the best ever....but most could not operate it. And when I visited the store after buying it, they agreed it was impossible to use many of the most basic functions because the buttons were so small. What the hell!?!

I'm not against using the stylus but it is only practical in certain conditions and since the Omnia does not have a stylus holder it is ridiculous to require its use. Especially when there is plenty of real estate for bigger buttons!

Thanks for the tip: I will have a look at Pocket CM.

- Chris
Old 12-29-2008, 09:35 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Samsung SCH-i910 Omnia

wtherrell is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmass View Post
It is odd because the sales staff in Verizon said this phone was the best ever....but most could not operate it. And when I visited the store after buying it, they agreed it was impossible to use many of the most basic functions because the buttons were so small. What the hell!?!

I'm not against using the stylus but it is only practical in certain conditions and since the Omnia does not have a stylus holder it is ridiculous to require its use. Especially when there is plenty of real estate for bigger buttons!

Thanks for the tip: I will have a look at Pocket CM.

- Chris
the only tiny buttons, etc. are in the set-up. I can use my fingernail to navigate on them. Never thought I could do that, but is getting much easier. Besides, once you have it set up to your liking, you will not have to use the stylus much if at all. Many of us that came from the i760 and others are learning to wean ourselves from the stylus. I haven't had to use it now for the last five days. Kinda like quitting smoking I guess. I think there are general settings on the i910 to make Today screen, fonts, etc. bigger, but I haven't needed to change mine.

Wait until tomorrow to procrastinate
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:40 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910

iceman5100 is becoming a great contributor

The SPB shell stuff is horrible!!!! dont pay 30 for it!!!!!!!!! its a waste!!!!!!
Cmass that was a great post.....nice pics....i feel you on everything you said....
I'm about to install S2U2 now

ice-
Old 12-29-2008, 11:06 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia II SCH I920
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

pdub73 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpdub73 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpdub73 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpdub73 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by syrguy1969 View Post
I was wondering if that was what you were talking about! I am at work right now, so I can't post images, but you need to run MobileShell itself...your using the Today plug-ins, and that isn't nearly as finger friendly. Shell actually takes over the OS and has it's own menus and layout. Now...the customization screen you showed......yeah....a bit small, but once you get it set up the way tou like, you don't really go to it much if at all!!

Here is my NOW screen, the large buttons on the bottom change screens, and the menu pages are broken into grids of 9:

The main SPB page gives better images of the menus.

Also, I don't use PhoneSuite either, so I can't speak for that. What are you looking to get from Suite as far as functionability?

I also have never had any clash/conflict between S2U2 and MobileShell....certainly nothing needing a reg change!!

P.S. Nice looking Today screen!!
Wow... How did u get ur now screen to look like that?
Old 12-30-2008, 01:19 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Can anyone show me the steps to setup the screen like syrguy1969 or perhaps others of you have it set up? For example: SPB menu -> Settings -> Mobile Shell -> Today .... . or whatever. I think I've explored and messed with every single menu on this device and cannot find anything that allows me to fundamentally change anything beyond the pictures I've shown. But obviously I'm missing something - big time.
Perhaps I am simply having a bunch of senior moments but geeezzz..

-----------

Meanwhile, I think I have found the root cause of the software design problems I am experiencing:

Old 12-30-2008, 01:40 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia II SCH I920
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

pdub73 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpdub73 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpdub73 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpdub73 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Cmass...
just a question, is this ur first windows mobile phone? and if so Lemme be the first to say WinMo is like a child, you need patience to get it to do what u want it to do...

anyway...what are you trying to do, and I will see if I can help....

first lemme say I use Spb Mobile Shell and Pocket plus together...

I looked at ur pictures and yes those menu arrows are small, but once u have the programs set up the way u like u wont need to use them that much anymore...

I don't use phone suite if u want to customize the phone application I don't have any suggestions for that except to wait for one of the genius' here to create some...

just bear in mind even though Spb Mobile shell and pocket plus work well with the Omnia I doubt very highly spb has tested it specifically with the Omnia...so with a new phone like this we have to do some waiting for the software we want to catch up...
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia