PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2008, 10:38 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy Note II
Carrier: Verizon

Geekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to Geekcop
Re: Thinking of installing SPB Mobile Shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmass View Post
Thanks!

Note: In several other forums I belong to people have their configurations in their signatures. For example, in a Jeep forum I'm a part of everyone lists the modifications they have made so you get a good idea of things that can be done to improve the vehicle. Has a similar thing been considered here? Or perhaps even a section showing people's screen shots?

- Chris
Quite a few folks have their device configurations in their sig lines. Screen shots are usually posted in separate forums. As a side note, I'm using several SPB products: Mobile Shell, Pocket Plus, Phone Suite, and Backup. All are very easy to configure and perform as advertised. I would STRONGLY suggest SPB Backup, as you never can tell when disaster may strike.

Last edited by Geekcop; 12-28-2008 at 10:41 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:02 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia
Threadstarter

Cmass is becoming a great contributor

OK, I downloaded the whole communication suite. Unfortunately, it is now reporting major conflicts with my Samsung Today menu.

I guess I know what I'll be doing for the next 12 hours.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:36 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

All installed.

My GAWD what a horrible program! The buttons and advance arrows are so tiny I can't even use them with my stylus!!! There is no advantage to any of it that I can see so far. The front screen is different but the phone is so slow I can't tell if it registered a tap or not so I end up jumping all over the place.

PLEASE tell me this is just some configuration issue. I have walked through all the menus I can find and I simply don't see anything that makes this $50 investment worth it. I see hardly ANY difference with the "phone suite" installed - except everything is now so slow it is hardly useable.

Help!!

Update: Things are getting worse including complete lockup of the phone requiring a hard restart!!! Buttons are too small to use it - even with the stylus. Program hangs all the time requiring soft restarts. Does not play well with S2U2 (a known issue requiring registry editing) Looking through the Spb website forums a lot of people are having host of similar problems with this program on the Omnia.

I get the feeling this was a BAD idea.

Last edited by Cmass; 12-29-2008 at 05:43 AM.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:34 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910

Phantom27 is keeping up the good workPhantom27 is keeping up the good work

I never bought the program but...

I did install the trial version and I thought it worked well. I thought the buttons were nice and big, very touch friendly. It's got to be a setting somewhere, or maybe a conflict with something else.

Oh, and I have an Omnia i910
Old 12-29-2008, 07:10 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: VZW

Spr0ckEt is keeping up the good workSpr0ckEt is keeping up the good workSpr0ckEt is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to Spr0ckEt Send a message via MSN to Spr0ckEt Send a message via Yahoo to Spr0ckEt

Make sure that you go into the Phone suite settings and disable all of the "fluff" I think that might be one of the less useful ones. Mobile shell is pretty fast and responsive. Pocket plus has some decent features as well.

It sounds like you have too much running. Go into your today settings and disable everything that you don't need.
Phone history: Moto V265 (5), Moto V710 (4), Moto E815 (1), Moto Q (4), Treo 700wx (3), and XV6800 (5), Alltel Touch Pro (5), VZW Touch Pro 2 (2), HTC Incredible (3), HTC Thunderbolt (5), HTC Rezound (5), HTC DNA (4), Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (3)
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:29 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Omina i900
Carrier: Vodafone

DJRedLine is keeping up the good workDJRedLine is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmass View Post
All installed.

My GAWD what a horrible program! The buttons and advance arrows are so tiny I can't even use them with my stylus!!! There is no advantage to any of it that I can see so far. The front screen is different but the phone is so slow I can't tell if it registered a tap or not so I end up jumping all over the place.

PLEASE tell me this is just some configuration issue. I have walked through all the menus I can find and I simply don't see anything that makes this $50 investment worth it. I see hardly ANY difference with the "phone suite" installed - except everything is now so slow it is hardly useable.

Help!!

Update: Things are getting worse including complete lockup of the phone requiring a hard restart!!! Buttons are too small to use it - even with the stylus. Program hangs all the time requiring soft restarts. Does not play well with S2U2 (a known issue requiring registry editing) Looking through the Spb website forums a lot of people are having host of similar problems with this program on the Omnia.

I get the feeling this was a BAD idea.
I run SPB mobile shell on my Omnia and its probably the best 'today' replacement i have found so far
ifonz (dont like, if i wanted to look like an iphone i would have bought an iphone)
WAD (quite like it, but found the configuration a bit annoying)
M2D (had this for a while and do like it, but replaced with SPB)

Use the imarche skins found here - http://www.imarche.net/omnia/index.php
also use SPBWatcher and have this the only running thing in the 'Today' settings.
Attached Files
File Type: zip spbwatcher.zip (4.1 KB, 46 views) Click for barcode!
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:54 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 4

syrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Cmass....when you talk about small buttons...where are these buttons popping up? A screen-shot would be great if you can, Shell is knows for being finger-friendly, so I am quite suprised at your reaction. Personally I haven't found PhoneSuite to work well with Omnia, but I haven't found a good phone manager app like PhoneSuite that works well on my Omnia!

I am looking for a very small app for alert reminders, but other than that, between S2U2 and Shell (work GREAT together BTW) I don't see a need for a larger app like PhoneSuite or PhoneAlarm.

Old 12-29-2008, 05:16 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Thanks!

I'll go one better than screen shots and provide illustrated pictures:

Old 12-29-2008, 05:23 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spr0ckEt View Post
Make sure that you go into the Phone suite settings and disable all of the "fluff" I think that might be one of the less useful ones. Mobile shell is pretty fast and responsive. Pocket plus has some decent features as well.
It sounds like you have too much running. Go into your today settings and disable everything that you don't need.
Thanks!

What fluff? I don't have any slide shows or screen savers or anything else running in the background. I've purposely kept it bare bones. Unless there is something using resources that I cannot see?? I even turned off S2U2 because it does not play well with Spb. (Known issue requiring registry edits)
Beyond that, I have my camera button mapped to the Task Manager so I can constantly close programs that don't actually close. Beyond that and beyond doing soft restarts all the time, I'm not sure how to clear anything up.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:28 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 4

syrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

I was wondering if that was what you were talking about! I am at work right now, so I can't post images, but you need to run MobileShell itself...your using the Today plug-ins, and that isn't nearly as finger friendly. Shell actually takes over the OS and has it's own menus and layout. Now...the customization screen you showed......yeah....a bit small, but once you get it set up the way tou like, you don't really go to it much if at all!!

Here is my NOW screen, the large buttons on the bottom change screens, and the menu pages are broken into grids of 9:

The main SPB page gives better images of the menus.

Also, I don't use PhoneSuite either, so I can't speak for that. What are you looking to get from Suite as far as functionability?

I also have never had any clash/conflict between S2U2 and MobileShell....certainly nothing needing a reg change!!

P.S. Nice looking Today screen!!

Last edited by syrguy1969; 12-29-2008 at 05:32 PM.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia