PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2008, 06:59 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia
Carrier: Verizon

Cmass is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thinking of installing SPB Mobile Shell

I like the screen shots of the SPB Mobile Shell on the sbpsoftwarehouse website. I have heard it plays well with the Omnia. But damn it is expensive!

Anyone using this? It has received excellent reviews in the name-brand journals but I prefer the man-on-the-street viewpoint. Most official product reviewers don't have the products long enough to be annoyed by them.

So, what do you think?
Good? Bad? Great? Wonderful?

Advantages? Disadvantages?
Old 12-28-2008, 07:47 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

theclerk74 is keeping up the good worktheclerk74 is keeping up the good work
Re: Thinking of installing SPB Mobile Shell

I really like it. I downloaded a WQVGA theme pack for it, and I like the features it offers. I can't really think of anything I don't like about it. The main thing that got me to try it were the themes. I like having a customized look. I had really high hopes for the widgets that come with the Omnia, but I probably only had that on my today screen for the first two days.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:55 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: xv6900 & Omnia
Carrier: I gotta bunch of guys following me around that call themselves the network.

t1tt910 is just getting started

I have it on mine. it is worth the money. very easy to use and it flows well on the omnia. I also got the phone suite so I can filter my calls.

Past: Samsung i730, i760, iPAQ HW6715, Moto Q, Palm 700WX, XV-6700, XV-6800, BB Curve, BB 8703

If I was able to provide a useful/helpful post, please click the(it helps me feel needed)

This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:00 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy Note II

Geekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via MSN to Geekcop

While I can't vouch for it's ability to play well with the Omnia, I will say it's a great program. I've had my 700WX for almost 16 months and Mobile Shell was one of the first apps I installed. Hard to say what I like best about it, but the Today screen plug in and Now screen rank right up there.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:05 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 4

syrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

I have used Shell on my Omnia since day one (very smooth interface on the Omnia) with the WQVGA theme-pack mentioned earlier and it works great!!! There is a CAB to allow a games icon as well (you will know where it is used if you try it), and another CAN called SPBWatcher that maked Shell your homw screen. Even if you close Shell accidentally it will pop back up. I haven't even seen my Today screen (except for the couple seconds it shows after a reset) in weeks LOL!!! If you decide to try or purchase Shell, let us know, I am sure we can get you directed to the extras you want.

This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:29 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Thanks!

I was originally looking at just the Mobile Shell. But the Phone Suite may be a good idea as well - perhaps the best deal would be to get the full Communication Pack? It is 50 bucks but it includes Mobile Shell as well as Phone Suite. (It also has Wireless Monitor and Insite - which I don't see much value in)

So: Mobile Shell, Phone Suite, WQVGA theme pack ??

This software may be my last harrah. This is my last "trial" week with this phone. I either get it right or get rid of it. I traded in a nice LG Dare for this thing but thus far have spent countless hours/days reading forums and trying to get it to look and act properly. I am hoping the SPB software could take care of such things as the horrible phone interface. Nearly a 1/4 of the screen is completely wasted while the list of recent calls is in microfont. Or the nearly useless phone book that I can only seem to operate with the ball-and-chain stylous. Or the ridiculous texting interface. Or the MP3 player with no EQ (Of course using it requires the ball-and-chain proprietary Samsung headphone adapter). Or the fact that I had to map the camera button to the Task Manager in order to close programs and so forth and so on etc... arrrrgggg!

How does the SBP get along with S2U2?

- Chris
Old 12-28-2008, 09:32 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910

iceman5100 is becoming a great contributor

I have it as well...just put it on.....it works really well....didnt pay anything for it
if interested on the file send me a message..

ice

"dont pay 30 for it!!!!!"
Old 12-28-2008, 09:33 PM
VIP Member

Geekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Remember, part of having a PPC is tweaking it to make it just the way you want it and that does take some time and effort. Really, that's part of the experience of owning a PPC, whether it's an older device, like my 700WX or your Omnia. A lot of the issues you bring up in your post are, or likely will be, addressed on this site. If you desire instant gratification, go with a BB or dare I say it, an iPhone. If you're willing to stay in it for the long haul, PPC's can't be beat.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:44 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman5100 View Post
I have it as well...just put it on.....it works really well....didnt pay anything for it
if interested on the file send me a message..

ice

"dont pay 30 for it!!!!!"
Hope you're not suggesting that you'll send a cracked version of Mobile Shell. Nothing will get you booted off this site faster. See stickies on the home page. Just a heads up
Old 12-28-2008, 09:58 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekcop View Post
Remember, part of having a PPC is tweaking it to make it just the way you want it and that does take some time and effort. Really, that's part of the experience of owning a PPC, whether it's an older device, like my 700WX or your Omnia. A lot of the issues you bring up in your post are, or likely will be, addressed on this site. If you desire instant gratification, go with a BB or dare I say it, an iPhone. If you're willing to stay in it for the long haul, PPC's can't be beat.
Thanks!

Yes, you are of course, quite correct. This experience is reminiscent of an old iPaq that I spent weeks configuring. It was full of serious system-crashing bugs that an old version of Spb significantly helped. (Spb had just started!) The problem in this case is that unlike the iPaq I use this thing constantly so am a bit more impatient.

I think I will go ahead and try the full communications pack and see what happens. The reviews are excellent across the board and these "man on the street" reviews are encouraging as well. (the most important in my view)

Note: In several other forums I belong to people have their configurations in their signatures. For example, in a Jeep forum I'm a part of everyone lists the modifications they have made so you get a good idea of things that can be done to improve the vehicle. Has a similar thing been considered here? Or perhaps even a section showing people's screen shots?

- Chris
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia